The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mines ecu is dying

Graham1984

I was driving to work today and all was well..... it was a sunny day and then suddenly my car starts misfiring and then struggles to move and conks out. I managed to get the car going with a heavy dose of throttle just to get it off the main road.

After a couple of times of it cutting out and the fact I was only about 500metres away from work I got to the job and then left it. My mechanic mate was going to have a look at it if he had time tonight but I started it up an it worked and idled fine which baffled me, I ended up going from baffled to peed off as it struggled again and then shut down, also just turning over and not starting afterwards.

I went home an had a look on here for a few minutes an found this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?209003-Miss-fire-and-No-power!&highlight=rough+ile+missfire

I swapped over the ecu to my stock one and my car 'works' although I have my reservations about how long for.

Has anyone got any ideas or is it simply the ecu has had it and needs fixing ?

Edited by Graham1984 (see edit history)

See how it goes with the replacement ECU. If everything runs fine then you need to send your ECU to the Doctor :D

If not, it'll be time to run through the thread checklist one post at a time unfortunately.

I'm hoping it ends up being fine (obviously)

What's the view on getting a Mines fixed by people other than Mines seeing as it is not a stock unit?

I'm hoping it ends up being fine (obviously)

What's the view on getting a Mines fixed by people other than Mines seeing as it is not a stock unit?

I need to get mine fixed by someone, I had the same issues in my NA.

Now it doesn't idle, took it apart and have found a consonant that looks to have blown or died.

See how it behaves with the stock ECU. Those symptoms also sound crank sensor related or fuel pump ECU getting a touch over heated. But if it behaves and the Mines is knackered, I've got a man that can repair it.

Cheers guys for the advice.

Ben let me know roughly how much, I have a mate who is finding out and I just pm'd the guy in the thread that helped me diagnose it to see what he paid.

I might not even bother getting it fixed, just need to see how I get on.

Oh look Scott's poking stick has returned :D

It IS an unfair comparison though.

We ran the 1/4 mile in my mates 182 clio a few years back. We were all within a half second of each other (mid-high 15's) and then out of nowhere I ran a low 14. Now, as much as I would LOVE to blow my own trumpet there is no way on gods green earth that I ran a 14 in a 182, let alone a LOW one. Won the fastest fwd of the day with that run, but the timing was clearly off.

The sun even shines on a dogs ass some days mate. If you run constant 15s and then get a 14..... it's the 14 that's the odd one out :D

We ran the 1/4 mile in my mates 182 clio a few years back. We were all within a half second of each other (mid-high 15's) and then out of nowhere I ran a low 14. Now, as much as I would LOVE to blow my own trumpet there is no way on gods green earth that I ran a 14 in a 182, let alone a LOW one. Won the fastest fwd of the day with that run, but the timing was clearly off.

The sun even shines on a dogs ass some days mate. If you run constant 15s and then get a 14..... it's the 14 that's the odd one out :D

:D

Well I never, all this time on the forum and I didn't know that people ran after market ECU's on their stock N/A's (yours is stock rather than na-t Graham isn't it?). Are there benefits from doing this? I gather from the comments above that it doesn't improve speed but are there other reasons for fitting one?

Well I never, all this time on the forum and I didn't know that people ran after market ECU's on their stock N/A's (yours is stock rather than na-t Graham isn't it?). Are there benefits from doing this? I gather from the comments above that it doesn't improve speed but are there other reasons for fitting one?

There are different types of ecus, mine did a few.

Overall it's been noted that there are improvements.

Higher revs, quicker response, better fuelling.

The MINES ECU changes are varied, depending on the spec requested. Most are delimited from 112mph and fuelcut eliminated too, thus no extra gimmicky bits need adding. After than yes rev limits can be raised, and more aggressive maps loaded. I do wonder if on my auto one the shifts are more aggressive than normal too, but I don't know.

I believe if you write down the ecu serial number and e-mail MINES they will reply back with the changes made to your specific one.

As for it dying...I would expect the actual issue was a dry sold joint on the harness connector. Could happen to any ECU and has before so lets not rush to say the "MINES" part is the problem eh ;)

I had a similar issue which I traced back to the Race Logic TCU. Bypassed it and it ran fine.

Had to bin it in the end as the unit circuitry was so old. It had been around longer than most of the staff at Race Logic apparently :rolleyes:

As for it dying...I would expect the actual issue was a dry sold joint on the harness connector. Could happen to any ECU and has before so lets not rush to say the "MINES" part is the problem eh ;)

I'm not unrealistic to think it's Mine's fault as I'm sure this is just one of those things that happen. It was just purely coincidence I had the same symptoms as the person in my opening link and swapping the ecu solved it. When I got the car home I did refit the mines to see if it had just come loose or something of the sort but no luck.

I have not opened it up either but have contacted the Ecu doctor just to get a rough quote on what the cost to fix it might be.

Just to be clearer mine runs 14'3 on average with a normal ecu, as stated when I fitted the mines I was low 15's (all afternoon).

Not that I care now,the car won't see a drag strip again. No one has actualy said why they want to use this ecu!?

Just to be clearer mine runs 14'3 on average with a normal ecu, as stated when I fitted the mines I was low 15's (all afternoon).

Not that I care now,the car won't see a drag strip again. No one has actualy said why they want to use this ecu!?

I find mine pulls harder through the midrange with it fitted.