The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fisherjohn paint work by Autodoc

jackso11

I think its about time I put some photos on the forum of work we have carried out on members cars, so am starting with Fisherjohn's work....which is quite extensive! Full glass out respray with welding, dent repairs, fibreglass repairs and fettling, interior work, calliper painting and a few other bits here and there!

John brought the car to me with repairs on every panel so we decided it best to just start from fresh with a full respray and slight colour change. Going from Toyota silver to Aston Martin Lightening Silver. The bonnet had flipped up and come off smashing the window, denting the roof pulling the hinges etc, there was rust coming through from a previous quarter panel change where the rear bumper had been smoothed in badly scratches here and there, fibreglass wings fitted badly, the spoiler looked to have been bolted on before the tailgate paint was fully dry/cured so had moved the paint, etc etc. Basically the bodywork had been done to a poor standard at some point and really needed some TLC. So, a few pictures with a staring point first...

Photo 12-05-2014 11 04 21.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 04 27.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 04 30.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 04 44.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 04 55.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 05 03.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 05 08.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 05 15.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 05 25.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 05 32.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 11 05 55.jpg

Photo 12-05-2014 12 20 10.jpg

Found more rust on the inside of the boot where the new panel had been welded on and not treated or finished in any way. Also found out why there was rust coming through on a new quarter panel once we cut the trial rear off....no paint on the new panel along the joint [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

Photo 12-05-2014 12 20 28.jpg

Side.jpg

Edited by jackso11 (see edit history)

All repairs have been carried out, welding where needed, spot primed over the repairs before a full flat and etch prime. Now in a good MaxMayer high build primer ready to be flatted again and painted. I am jealous that this is not my Supra now [GRIN][/GRIN]

Photo 14-05-2014 08 43 27.jpg

Photo 14-05-2014 08 43 17.jpg

Photo 27-05-2014 15 25 41.jpg

Photo 27-05-2014 15 25 55.jpg

Photo 27-05-2014 15 26 20.jpg

Photo 27-05-2014 15 26 11.jpg

First bits of colour went on today, inside of tailgate, bonnet and doors and I have got to say this colour is very nice. 2 Different pearls, has a really nice flip in the light, I bet on an nice sunny day it will look amazing. Pics to follow after the weekend as I am going away now :)

Reading the first post I was a bit unsure about the concept of a full glass-out job to change the colour from silver to, uh, silver... :conf: BUT... clearly that was unjustified! That colour is very smart indeed. :drool: Good work. :)

Reading the first post I was a bit unsure about the concept of a full glass-out job to change the colour from silver to, uh, silver... :conf: BUT... clearly that was unjustified! That colour is very smart indeed. :drool: Good work. :)

Yeah you could just paint the outside and leave the inside original silver, but if anyone took notice when you opened a door or boot it would look wrong. The stock silver it very plain compared to this. Personally I like to own dark colours like...black :) like mine :D but to look at this colour is gorgeous.

We can do any colour under the sun by the way, all the House of colour special effects etc.

Always best to take the glass out no matter if your doing a colour change or not

Exactly. As a minimum I would say front and rear glass out, even with a blow over the same colour. Obviously its up to the customer but if the glass is out there are no rubber seals in the way and therefore no masking lines. Also if you ever change the windscreen for any reason (smash, crack etc) and the new rubber seal isn't quite the same or doesn't quite fit the same you run the risk of having really bad masking lines visible.

Saying that we do have masking tape that has one hard plastic edge that you can wedge behind a rubber seal and pull it back and stick to the glass so the masking edge is well under the rubber, but it doesn't work for all types of seals, like the supra rear glass for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, think I might have closed chrome before posting the last update!

Basically everything is back together and we are flatting and polishing before the weekend. There are a couple of small bits left to do (grills, calipers, re-dye 'supra' logo red on the seats) but pretty much there.

I will then take it outside and DSLR some pics for here :)

Typical, had a rush when the car was outside and picked up so missed the final photo opportunity in the sun! I will take photos when John brings it back to have his wheel powdercoated.

I have to say, we did the calipers in bright yellow and I didn't think they would look good....but silver car with dark wheels, black supra logos on the calipers painted bright yellow did look really really good! Photos to come at some point. The car has gone from us straight to Lee Perrymans, maybe Lee can take some pictures for me :D