The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dragonball 2014 - Feedback

Branners

Hi folks,

been back just over a week now so I'm already planning 2015 in my mind.

Does anybody have any feedback from 2014 that I can take in to account for 2015?

Anything we could improve on, anything that worked really well?

I'm seeing quite a few people say they dont mind the motorway miles as it keeps us together as a group. That changes the routes I can choose as we can rattle off some serious mileage in 4 hours on a motorway. So anybody got any thoughts on that?

I'm hearing a lot of yeses for Rotterdam in 2015, so it looks like it will be there again, same hotel, same sort of dates. Using a similar route out to Rotterdam as we did in 2012, different Saturday and different Sunday back. Any thoughts on that?

So I'm really looking for feedback and thoughts on if I can make this any more awesome than it seemed to be this year!!

As this was my first DB, I have nothing to compare it to.

However, I thought the trip was amazing, better than I ever expected a driving "holiday" to be.

Motorway routes are good, you can get take over the road, get closer as a group, have a bit of "fun" and is a great opportunity for pictures and videos.

The country roads are also great, nice windy roads are always amazing.

I think it's safe to say the Friday afternoon was a nightmare with the traffic, but no one could of helped that.

The hotel was great, nothing more could be said really

I thought the meals at the hotel worked really well a) it was easy and stress free (maybe not so much for you! D: ) and b) it was also a good opportunity to get to know members.

Location of hotel was good as it was close enough to a city to visit if you wanted.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves again this year. This being our second DB. I thought the hotel worked out great, the buffet was brilliant and helps to bring people together in the evening. I am happy killing a few miles on the motorways as already mentioned helps keep the group together, especially for photos and videos. To be honest I think you have a great balance between driving and visiting of places. Love going through the villages seeing people's reactions...

Without doubt the French roads are brilliant. Would love to go rotterdam tho. Hope Ellis makes next year as last year's pack was amazing.

Really enjoyed DB14

Traffic on Friday was a bit of a mare but unavoidable.

Roads around Spa were the best i think i've ever experienced.

Great banter with some quality people on the trip

Happy to rack up some motorway miles as its nice to mingle in and out of all the other Supras at the front and back

Hotel was incredible

Rotterdam sounds perfect

Cant wait for DB15 :cool:

I don't mind a few motorway miles to get somewhere good, 3 lane racing is some of the best fun;)

You surprise me JP. I thought you'd be an A or B road, twisties kind of man.

I am a big fan of the motorway as it gives the group a chance to bunch up and take over the motorway. This may not go down well with the locals but I imagine a lot of people think it is interesting to see so many cars in a group or formation. We are always moving quickly and not holding others up. I think a 50/50 split would be about right.

This year was a great mix of motorway and back roads. Saturday and Sunday were epic and I was really sad to get on the train.

Fancy dress makes it a lot of fun and I would like to see more give it a try. Terrible shirt for Saturday was a bit hit and miss and I didn't bother this year, shame on me.

I think some kind of social event on the Friday night would help. Whether it be a formal introduction to the group, competitive game etc. It's difficult to meet so many people, so it is easier to stick with people you know. If it was my first DB and hadn't been in the club that long, I would find it socially a bit daunting.

The recipe is 95% perfect so no complaints here at all.

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

Fancy dress makes it a lot of fun and I would like to see more give it a try. Terrible shirt for Saturday was a bit hit and miss and I didn't bother this year, shame on me.

I think some kind of social event on the Friday night would help. Whether it be a formal introduction to the group, competitive game etc. It's difficult me meet so many people, so it is easier to stick with people you know. If it was my first DB and hadn't been in the club that long, I would find it socially a bit daunting.

H.

Fancy dress was fun, and I think a lot more people should do.

Even spoke to Branners about making it compulsory and a forfeit for those who don't :)

I didn't know about sh*te shirts, if I had I would of found something.

A social event with introductions and games would be a great idea.

Even though I've been on the forum a long time, I haven't actually met that many people in person so this being my first DB, it was a little strange, hard to join in with conversations etc, but it got there eventually.

Like with you H, we didn't even know we were chatting to each other at one point, so I think a group game event would be good and fun, would also give Abz the chance to beat someone :)

I have no other DB to compare to neither, but I think you chose a good mix of motorway and small roads.

Only motorway cruising would be annoying after some time. What would maybe help keep the group together is to wait at given way-points (out of the little towns and city's) to form the convoy and continue the route.

When leaving SPA, I had quickly lost contact to the guys in front of me (bicycles and other cars) , and it took me 20 minutes to get back to the group.

There are also "national routes" in FRA, BEL and NED where you have 3 lanes (2 in one direction and 1 in the other, overtaking lane changing from side every 1-2 mls). These are easier for large convoy's.

All in all, something very similar to DB14 would be ace :)

Some of the DB11 magic was brought back in DB14 - The hotel it seems plays a big part, the eating together, buffet is also a good feature. The chap in Rotterdam was amazing closing off one part of the resturant just for us! I enjoyed some of the motorway like others. Nice to cover ground quick, have a little play & photo's/video's etc. Another thing is the weather, this weekend was horrendous & THAT makes a big difference!!

Also can't believe none of you noticed mine & Pedro's Mexican Cartel outfit on Saturday?! :D

Have contacted the chap at the NH in Rotterdam to ask about next year so looks like we are going that way.

Rotterdam would be more time on the motorway before pulling off for the 4 mile tunnel (those on 2012 will remember what a mistake the coast road from Nieuwpoort was). Zandevoort is right next to Amsterdam so the Saturday could be fun, not sure how yet. Sunday would be more motorway and going across the big bridge in Rotterdam this time (thats the only reason I'm going back, I dont like making mistakes!!) and then getting down to Bruges as quick as we can for the lunch stop.

There is also a question about running a longer 5 or 7 day event in addition to the normal Dragonball. To do that I would be charging it as a proper event to cover my time, currently Dragonball runs purely at cost or a loss, for a 5 day event that may need to change.

Have contacted the chap at the NH in Rotterdam to ask about next year so looks like we are going that way.

Rotterdam would be more time on the motorway before pulling off for the 4 mile tunnel (those on 2012 will remember what a mistake the coast road from Nieuwpoort was). Zandevoort is right next to Amsterdam so the Saturday could be fun, not sure how yet. Sunday would be more motorway and going across the big bridge in Rotterdam this time (thats the only reason I'm going back, I dont like making mistakes!!) and then getting down to Bruges as quick as we can for the lunch stop.

There is also a question about running a longer 5 or 7 day event in addition to the normal Dragonball. To do that I would be charging it as a proper event to cover my time, currently Dragonball runs purely at cost or a loss, for a 5 day event that may need to change.

4 mile tunnel..... I'm in!!

I have no complaints was awesome JB great weekend, thanks for all the hard work you and everyone else put into organising it, I would definitely be up for a longer event :)

to be honest 3 days works perfect for us with finding cover for the dogs and kids.... might be able to tempt the inlaws to one more night but a 5-dayer we'd have to miss out of.

Us too. No chance of getting that kind of cover. Not a problem though as it gives others who are more flexible a chance to enjoy the delights of the DB.

You surprise me JP. I thought you'd be an A or B road, twisties kind of man.

I am a big fan of the motorway as it gives the group a chance to bunch up and take over the motorway. This may not go down well with the locals but I imagine a lot of people think it is interesting to see so many cars in a group or formation. We are always moving quickly and not holding others up. I think a 50/50 split would be about right.

This year was a great mix of motorway and back roads. Saturday and Sunday were epic and I was really sad to get on the train.

I think some kind of social event on the Friday night would help. Whether it be a formal introduction to the group, competitive game etc. It's difficult to meet so many people, so it is easier to stick with people you know. If it was my first DB and hadn't been in the club that long, I would find it socially a bit daunting.

The recipe is 95% perfect so no complaints here at all.

H.

I think H's comments are spot on. Chris and I had a great time and enjoyed the whole experience. Roads, hotel and food were spot on.

Agreed longer time is difficult for people with pets and kids.

I don't mind motorways. And holland would be great again. But I do have a few things I'd like to 'moan' about :)

racing sure is fun. But not when you throw on the anchors and slow the whole convoy down from 80 to 30 mph. This happened twice to me both times I almost rear ended someone. Once a supra and once a local who was forced to slow down sharpish because the road was blocked. It's a bit irresponsible. I'm not saying don't race. Just don't be a dick about it and look arround you.

The locals who didn't enjoy it got very pissed off.

I also saw racing mid convoy in traffic. With maybe 40ft until there was a car in front. It was basically like trying to drag race in a mcdonalds car park then slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front. Don't prove anything other than who can get in an accident first. Made me cringe. Makes us look like a bunch of Chavy morons. We are visiting these peoples country we are not the only road users although we are in a pack most of the time. There is a time and place. And in traffic isn't ether.

Sorry to be a downer. Other than that it was a great trip.

i preferred the motorway driving as I liked having a few race's with members and the odd non member.

But I doubt we will be on the 15 trip as I think we would rather do the Nurburgring instead BUT will have to see what funds are like.

Really enjoyed the meal at hotel (shame it was the same both nights) but like others said it was good to make conversation with other members.

I might be breaking - selling my car after September so will have to see whats what.

Agreed longer time is difficult for people with pets and kids.

I don't mind motorways. And holland would be great again. But I do have a few things I'd like to 'moan' about :)

racing sure is fun. But not when you throw on the anchors and slow the whole convoy down from 80 to 30 mph. This happened twice to me both times I almost rear ended someone. Once a supra and once a local who was forced to slow down sharpish because the road was blocked. It's a bit irresponsible. I'm not saying don't race. Just don't be a dick about it and look arround you.

The locals who didn't enjoy it got very pissed off.

I also saw racing mid convoy in traffic. With maybe 40ft until there was a car in front. It was basically like trying to drag race in a mcdonalds car park then slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front. Don't prove anything other than who can get in an accident first. Made me cringe. Makes us look like a bunch of Chavy morons. We are visiting these peoples country we are not the only road users although we are in a pack most of the time. There is a time and place. And in traffic isn't ether.

Sorry to be a downer. Other than that it was a great trip.

I've got to say, in the video Chris Bailey put on Facebook, you can quite clearly hear me say over the radio "I'm getting bored of everyone slowing down..." Or words to that effect... :innocent: There is a time and a place, and a motorway with dirty great lorries that use indication as a right of way isn't the best place to be slowing up to race.

But other than that, I had an awesome time. Friday afternoon was nobodies fault, other than the douche bags that decided to close all but about 2 roads and cock our routes up!

I think 3 days is long enough. It did go too quickly, but Dodgy Rog will confirm that I was infact flat out snoring in my car on the train home, so it was a pretty tiring weekend. So much so I had 2 days off work after to recover! :D