The mkiv Supra Owners Club

X-pel UV headlight film

Guest Standard

Guest Standard
Save yourself the hassle and get some glass ones :)

I'd rather spend that kind of money on something else.

So far it's cost me 15 quid for the materials and taken about an hour of my time. They weren't bad to begin with, I just need to protect them from the UV now. Rather than coat them every two months, a film would do the trick and protect them from scratches/stones!

phpZncwgcAM.jpg

Unfortunately we don't have Pep Boys, Lamin-X, X-pel and other outlets available over here. So far I've found this company and left them a message http://www.ekmpowershop9.com/ekmps/shops/bodyguarduk/headlight-kits-74-c.asp

I've ordered a bottle of Meguiar's protection in the meantime.

Edited by Standard (see edit history)

Guest Standard
Once the damage is done you can't stop it, they will continue to yellow even with a film on.

Depends on what you mean by 'damage is done.' Sanding down the lenses removes the factory UV coating. Rather than coat them with an after market product frequently, a UV film would *should* be a better and longer term solution.

If you just meant that age takes it's toll, then yes, they'll never be factory condition!

Any ways, if anyone has done a DIY lens refurb and has any tips on the after care maintenance, please let me know.

EDIT: Btw, I know the camera/picture quality isn't great, but what do you think of the lenses? These are original, first time refinished to my knowledge.

Edited by Standard (see edit history)

Laquer it. Take the yellowing away by sanding, go upto around 1500 grit, then just laquer on top. Perfect durable finish. I did one of mine back in 2009, and it is still as clear as it was the day it was done. The car is kept outside as well, so its not like its covered from the suns rays etc

Guest Standard
Laquer it. Take the yellowing away by sanding, go upto around 1500 grit, then just laquer on top. Perfect durable finish. I did one of mine back in 2009, and it is still as clear as it was the day it was done. The car is kept outside as well, so its not like its covered from the suns rays etc

Hey, I've already done the sand job(s), from 2000-3000 grit. And I've since applied Meguiar's protectant for the UV. Lacquer is not a bad idea, for repelling chips/pits.