The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project: Aka Gosai

Mk4Gaz

Hi folks, I thought it was about time I started a proper project thread.

I've had the supra coming up 11 months now, and have made many small parts, and made a big effort to bring her right up to what I would call a good standard. When I bought her, she was looking a little tired, so i've given her some loving ;)

First things first, the project name. I've had lots of ideas floating around in my head, but have settled on "Aka Gosai" which translates from Japanese to " Red Second Wife" !

I bought her at the beginning of July in 2013, and travelled all the way from Essex to Manchester to pick her up. I was a little apprehensive driving home, as I didn't know the car, so had to have faith. Coming from a 9 year background with an mr2 turbo, it was somewhat different piloting this old girl !

She was virtually bone stock, bar a second decat, crappy induction kit, and a mines ecu (which I didn't know about at the time - bonus !)

This was on the journey home, sitting next to my friends mr2 at the services

20130706_130051_zps2541175d_opt small.jpg

The previous owner had wrapped the bonnet in some awful carbon wrap, not to my liking at all. I later found out that this was to hide lacquer peel - I suspected this was the case anyway. When I got it home, I fitted the wolfrace shark alloys that i'd previously had on my mr2, as the stock tyres were pretty low

home small.jpg

The dash trims were looking a bit rubbish - some of the original rubbery finish had started to wear, so I wrapped them in carbon vinyl as a test

carbon small.jpg

It looked rubbish imo, too fake and not the subtle 'upmarket' look I was trying to acheive. So I ripped it back off, and sprayed the trims for a 'piano black' effect

black dash small.jpg

black dash 2 small.jpg

I wanted somewhere to put a couple of gauges, namely oil temp and boost, as I planned to fit a boost controller. I couldn't find anything I liked on the market, so I made a pod to replace the heater vent on the passenger side.

heater gauge small.jpg

I was due to move house at this point, so had to stop playing for a few weeks - much to my dismay ! This was around the end of August.........

Once settled in the new house, the project continued, and it was time to start sorting the cosmetics out. The ride height was dropped via tein superstreet coilovers, a fmic added, lower lip, facelift headlights, and bomex skirts. I had to repaint the bonnet, and at the same time did the bumper, lip and skirts in the garage

lip front mount small.jpg

bomex skirts small.jpg

Next up was the wheels. I loved the style of mine, but after seeing the exact same wheels come up for sale on here - through Andre, in satin black, I thought they might look pretty good with the red paintwork. So they turned up, and I chucked them on - much better !

black wheels small 2.jpg

black wheels small.jpg

The rear needed to look a bit heavier, the stock bumper just wasn't doing it for me. So a trial rear was ordered, that got painted in the garage, and fitted.

trial small.jpg

trial small 2.jpg

On to the audio.....

I'd already fitted my bluetooth pioneer head unit, so upgraded the old factory speakers with vibe units front and rear, and made a fibreglass sub box for the boot. The amp is hidden under the boot carpet

sub box small.jpg

sub box small 2.jpg

So I started turning my attention to the engine bay. The crappy induction kit that was on it was past its best. I made a fibreglass enclosure to house the new filter, to keep unwanted heat away from the intake, and also to fill the void. With the fmic pipework, I didn't want to chop it, so came up with this

air box small 2.jpg

The air comes in through the front, from behind the o/s headlight.

air box small.jpg

I'd previously removed the turbo pipes, and painted them silver, with some red silicone hosing. It looked crap, and with the winter looming, I felt it was time for a bay overhaul and service items replaced

old bay small.jpg

The strip down began !

strip down small.jpg

I sanded and polished all the turbo pipework, and inlet manifold. That's a job I never want to do again ! Painted the bay in satin black, made some fibreglass covers for the abs pump and brake master cylinder, replaced all the vacuum hoses with black silicone, and added some carbon accents with vinyl wrap.

I made a fibreglass fan shroud, so I could delete the viscous fan

shroud small.jpg

And replaced the cam belt, idler pulley, crank pulley, water pump - with coolant drain and flush, cam cover gaskets, serpentine belt, plugs, coil pack clips, heater matrix to head hose, top rad hose, and a new rad.

overhaul small.jpg

overhaul small 2.jpg

I wanted to add a couple of extra gauges - namely wideband, and oil temp. So I made a new pod to hold 4, and removed the earlier vent pod. This pod fits to the side of the dash, and is trimmed in black leatherette to match the dash as closely as possible. The wife thought it was hilarious with me sitting at the sewing machine ! Numerous attempts later, this happened

quad pod small.jpg

I found a beige uk spec interior for sale, and thought it would go well with the red bodywork. The black was nice, but a bit too dull for me.

interior small.jpg

I also fell out of love with the piano black dash, so took it all back out, and re painted it with black plastidip - I have to say that this stuff is brilliant ! Also fitted a manual gear surround, and converted the auto lever to resemble a manual - purely because it looks so much better. I've also fitted a momo steering wheel with snap off boss, and replaced the passenger airbag with an upper glove box

The cream carpet was only fitted today, so i'm now satisfied that the interior is done, and this is how it's staying !

plastidip small.jpg

plastidip small 2.jpg

cream small.jpg

cream small 2.jpg

cream gauge pod small.jpg

I've also fitted a tein front strut brace, and picked out the plug cover in a similar colour - hulk candy green

bay hulk small.jpg

bay hulk small 2.jpg

bay hulk small 3.jpg

And here's how she sits today, after a full detail, clay bar, 3 stage wax, and fitted the new rear lights with amber delete. Also replaced the bomex skirts with oem ones

side small.jpg

side oem skirts small.jpg

rear small.jpg

bonnet small.jpg

I keep toying with the idea of going small single, but that's for another time :D

Thanks buddy :)

Yes, I did it in the garage at home - everything on the car has been done in my spare time at home. Much to the wifes dismay !!!!

It's really easy to use. 3-4 light coats, and it just evens itself out, so easy. I cleaned all the parts with rubbing alcohol first, and scuffed them up with scotch brite, to remove any surface imperfections. It's come out better than I expected

Thanks again gents :thumbs:

Over the last couple of evenings, I've been playing with a cup holder idea. It's almost finished, and should work quite well. I'm not totally convinced I love it yet, but will see how it looks when it's fitted in the car.

I took a mould of the centre arm rest cubby lid, and made a fibreglass copy. The damn thing stuck in the mould, but the mould survived and the part was being trimmed anyway.

Left is the original, right is the copy if it's not obvious!

This evening I've made the holder, and mounted it. Trimmed the part in leather, and made a cover cap that pops out when the holder is needed. It needs a bit of final finishing, and might grow on me once fitted!

Edited by Mk4Gaz (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

Didn't realise it had been over 3 years since i'd updated this thread!

Things have changed quite a lot, so here's a bit about what i've been up to

I removed the oem skirts, and opted for a set of blitz ones, as they suit my taste better. I also swapped out the wheels for set of 19" axis milano, and ditched the tein coilovers for stock shocks, and sard springs. I've also fitted a set of glass headlights, that are going to be 'facelifted' soon

20170812_105910 small.jpg

FB_IMG_1493676065686 small.jpg

FB_IMG_1473671048003small.jpg

I've also done a single turbo conversion, and made some bespoke carbon items to tidy up the engine bay, namely a redesign on the bay covers, velocity stack (for show times), a carbon fan shroud, and i've carbon skinned the oil filler cap. I'm happy with the overall look now, although there's a few bits i'd like to tidy up at some stage

20170813_195921small.jpg

20170604_144447small.jpg

20170408_133028small.jpg

You will also notice i've now gone manual, sporting an r154 5 speed, along with a spec 3+ clutch. The setup works really well, and the clutch is superb, compared to the act 6 puck I had at first.

The interior has had a major overhaul. I've fitted a set of cream leatherette sports seats, and tried my hand at hydrodipping the dash panels. Many people will gawp at them, but I can't help but love it :rlol:

I've also just completed a newer version of my arm rest cup holder. This is miles better than the last one, and simply drops into position, without any complicated hinge mechanism.

20171014_193901small.jpg

20171014_194310small.jpg

20170823_204002small.jpg

20170730_121843small.jpg

20170225_180723small.jpg

I've recently made a carbon blade for my TRD rear spoiler, and also fitted led rear lights

20170818_193113small.jpg

FB_IMG_1504469121884small.jpg

Edited by Mk4Gaz (see edit history)