The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra as an everyday car

Guest MFM

What's it like as an everyday car? And I don't mean standard. A fast road car doing around 600bhp.

Reason I'm asking is I had an everyday car doing 560bhp, but it was a complete chore driving it through London. With the clutch, stiff suspension, loud exhaust etc. it was like wresting a bull home. I've since sold it and bought an auto BMW 5 series :shock: and I must say it's really comfortable and quiet, but slow as fk and I miss the turbo terribly.

Been looking at Supras for a long time, but I need something that you could use everyday without it becoming a burden.

At that power i think you could keep it relatively stock, sure you'd need a single turbo or perhaps Hybrids with after market management and fuel stuff.

You wouldn't need a special clutch if it was a 6speed AFAIK, autos would struggle without been built.

Yeah I know, building a fast car properly isn't cheap. I spent a fortune on a fully forged build with my old car and it seems you never stop spending money.

At that power i think you could keep it relatively stock, sure you'd need a single turbo or perhaps Hybrids with after market management and fuel stuff.

You wouldn't need a special clutch if it was a 6speed AFAIK, autos would struggle without been built.

Don't think we've seen 600 on Hybrids just yet ;)

My opinion on this is that any 'special' car (which once you've done a fair bit of work on as you describe) becomes a second car. It will be more uncomfortable and impractical - they don't even have cup holders! Ha. But for me, more importantly is that you end up not wanting to use it as a daily car because of all of the idiots out there, dinging it, getting in the way, etc etc, you don't want to load it up with shopping, or stuff from B&Q and you don't want dogs in it (not an issue for everyone of course) or passengers especially if they have kids or any of that stuff. Plus as a daily drive you're racking up miles, and miles = wear and tear.

So, I'd always only have one as a second car. Daily drive is something reliable, relatively cheap to run and a workhorse basically, and you can still get about your daily life when the Supe is off the road being worked on.

Edited by Supragal (see edit history)

drove a N/A as a daily for a while no complaints, now i have a TT I also have a little 1.3 polo as a daily. The amount i save in fuel easily outlays what would be spent running a high spec supra everyday. fuel - £12 a week (i only do 130 miles a week however) - insurance £17 a month. added benefit if you drive something slow most of the time, the supra always feels more powerful than it is (Y)

What's it like as an everyday car? And I don't mean standard. A fast road car doing around 600bhp..

Yes it's possible to have a reliable, comfortable, everyday 600hp Supra, the key though will be in the quality of the build and the choice of parts used. The 6spd gearbox is a bit agricultural but with the right clutch isn't too bad once you get use to it, the Supra auto box is very good and would probably be the better choice if doing a lot of city driving.

As above. Personally, if you're going to be doing a lot of city driving, a full BPU auto is probably your best bet. Nearer 400hp than 600, but what good is 600hp in traffic anyway? BPU is a lot of fun (especially with an auto), and the car will still easily be capable of 170mph+.

Yes it's possible to have a reliable, comfortable, everyday 600hp Supra, the key though will be in the quality of the build and the choice of parts used. The 6spd gearbox is a bit agricultural but with the right clutch isn't too bad once you get use to it, the Supra auto box is very good and would probably be the better choice if doing a lot of city driving.

As above. Personally, if you're going to be doing a lot of city driving, a full BPU auto is probably your best bet. Nearer 400hp than 600, but what good is 600hp in traffic anyway? BPU is a lot of fun (especially with an auto), and the car will still easily be capable of 170mph+.

:yeahthat:

Luckily I don't have to drive to work but if I needed a daily it would be a £2-5k car with an autobox, sofa like seats & soft suspension... and most likely a diesel. Something to waft in as you'll most likely be joining the thousands of other commuters.

Guest Nicholas

Never Ever have a high hp supra for commuting within London! I used to cry when taking mine into Westminster the roads are horrific not to mention the drivers :taped:

Never Ever have a high hp supra for commuting within London! I used to cry when taking mine into Westminster the roads are horrific not to mention the drivers :taped:

Mine's lovely and comfortable, BPU Auto on Blisteins with 30mm lowering springs, quite a relaxed ride :)

Not in London's potholes it won't be or other people trying to kill you just so they aren't late for work, see Nick's post :D

My current daily, its a 1.8 mx5 with plenty done (kaaz diff, fully polybushed, coilovers, harnesses and thicker arb's etc, etc) its as stiff as on the road but i really enjoy all commutes in it 😄

I am however on the hunt for a NA manual. Itl be my daily and track day bash about as my mx5 is/was. However, i honestly think its down to the driver and what your regular commutes consist of, i already cant wait for more power...!

Edited by Richie_k83 (see edit history)

Think supra as a drive especially when tuned is noisy, impractical, slow in cities with speed humps and narrow roads and expensive on fuel and tyres. Even as an n/a!

I own a letting agent and could beat any 600+ supra getting around from house to house for viewings in my 1.6 Alfa Romeo. If your commute involves motorways and dual carriage ways then fine. If it's town driving... Not a good choice.

Only thing I would say about them is they are very reliable. But I tried running supras and rx7s as dailys and just found them to be impractical.

I used mine as a daily Driver for 9 Years and it was a great 600bhp street car. Super quick spooling very smooth.

All my driving was in London and despite being a fan of the 6sp gearbox if was not suited for our crappy London roads. Had it been an auto box the experience would have been far more comfortable.

Pretty much what I expected thanks. I know I will probably regret having a supe as an only everyday car, but I don't think I'll get it as a second car either. I like to use my cars and the whole reason I sold my previous car was because it was stuck on the drive and only got used a couple of times a month.

By the way with my commute into London I spend 40 miles on the M4 each way every day which got my turbo itch going again.