The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Security for a Supra

basch32

Hi guys,

Hope this hasnt been covered already (had a quick look), but just bought a supra single turbo and unfortunately at the moment I dont have access to a garage only driveway parking.

Can you recommend the best ways to protect the car from would be car thieves and vandals. It currently has an alarm, snap of wheel and killswitch. OTher than that I was thinking of getting bollards for the driveway.

Sorry I might be a bit paranoid I just want to know I am doing the best I can to protect my new car :)

Thanks just being a bit paranoid after talking to a few friends who have their gtrs in a garage, behind a gate with the driveway protected with folding bollards! Mine seems very exposed in comparison ha

Also thanks for quick response :)

Guest Budz86

Only other things to consider may be security lights/cameras and a gps tracker, but as imi says, you got it covered pretty well atm.

Hey Basch :) you thought about buying a snake to keep in it overnight, and maybe some landmines for the front garden? :D

I already tried the ACME store and unless i have Wile E. Coyote identification I cant buy them :(

I think its the amount of attention the car has got over the last day being back in Ireland and well just Ireland being full of absolute knackers on the dole who like to steal/strip cars cause they have nothing better to do thats making me try and deter them as much as possible [ANGRY][/ANGRY]

Know the feeling bud, there's an element up this side of the border that go looking performance cars to trash on the streets of West Belfast, YouTube is full of videos of them - they even taunt the police into chasing them. I had a kill switch fitted on my last one (after an attempted theft in Belfast outside my work a few years ago) and it was imo the best security measure. I can live with a broken window and dash panels if they don't get away with the car.

Not being funny, but without a steering wheel I cant see anyone going anywhere fast ! :think:

You will be amazed how resourceful thief's are. Imagine first night they attempt, no steering wheel then go home come on a car forum or surf internet for 5 mins, source a wheel and go back to finish the job. Quite easy to see how far they could and can get.

Guest Nicholas

Block the car in at night.

Purchase a removable steering wheel boss kit that locks the boss so nothing can be attached when removed.

Fit a tracker

Get a drive post fitted

Sleep in your car :)

You will be amazed how resourceful thief's are. Imagine first night they attempt, no steering wheel then go home come on a car forum or surf internet for 5 mins, source a wheel and go back to finish the job. Quite easy to see how far they could and can get.

Im talking the opportunist thief, if people target your specifically then I doubt there is much you could do at all to stop them, short of the car being locked in something/somewhere, even with all the current systems etc, you can always lift a car, GPS tracking has to be probably one of the best features because you can let them steal it and find again, but even that, you only have so long before they can remove the device and move the car again.

Ha well for now I dont have to worry about it as no insurance company in ireland will even quote me for insurance. Been point blank refused to transfer insurance from my mr2 by my current insurer. So car for now is locked away in a cosy garage :)

No idea its mental, Ireland is full of companies that want to make money with absolutely no risk. Its gutting as I have never in 7 yrs been stopped by a Guard or gotten penalty points and have a clean insurance history and this is on an mr2 turbo.

I decided for the crack to check england and within 5mins had a quote of 1200e without even trying.... its a disgrace!

So how are you supposed to insure your car if no one will ? lol

Going to have to bring it to the Insurance Federation and get them to force my current insurer to quote me. This means a massive premium that I wont be able to justify and thus still be uninsured, though they are free to prove me wrong.

Would normally get a classic policy but this has changed to only cars older than 20yrs in Ireland so thats not an option either.

Guest Standard
Hi guys,

Hope this hasnt been covered already (had a quick look), but just bought a supra single turbo and unfortunately at the moment I dont have access to a garage only driveway parking.

Can you recommend the best ways to protect the car from would be car thieves and vandals. It currently has an alarm, snap of wheel and killswitch. OTher than that I was thinking of getting bollards for the driveway.

Sorry I might be a bit paranoid I just want to know I am doing the best I can to protect my new car :)

Full car cover (preferably non form fitting, then they cannot determine the vehicle by shape)

Park another vehicle behind/in front of it

Remove battery

If it's auto, and they don't know about Supras, good luck getting it to move without a key or ignition break!

Immobiliser and alarm

GPS tracking with soft and hard kill switch(chip registered with police for quicker response)

Full car cover (preferably non form fitting, then they cannot determine the vehicle by shape)

Park another vehicle behind/in front of it

Remove battery

If it's auto, and they don't know about Supras, good luck getting it to move without a key or ignition break!

Immobiliser and alarm

GPS tracking with soft and hard kill switch(chip registered with police for quicker response)

Going to avoid using a car cover if possible due to the inherent danger of damaging the paint. Think I may have a garage sorted but if not will be putting down removable bollards at end of driveway.

Is there any recommendations on the GPS unit? I know could potentially do it with one of those cheaper mobile phone/sim card style ones but any particularly good systems on the market?