The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have I killed it?

Kendo11

OK folks serious problems.

Jspec na.

Removed throttle body pipes today for a few jobs.

Refitted all but forgot to fit the main one that's just under the throttle body.

Drove it for approx 2 miles before stopping and realising.

Coolant everywhere, particularly in each and every spark plug well.

Dried it all up/siphoned it. Replaced plugs.

Drove it for a mile and it feels and sounds like it's about to explode.

It had also for some reason used up all the oil.

Rac on way but can anyone give me advice on wtf to do or what may be wrong????

Fill the oil, fill the coolant, see how it goes.

You may have blew the HG by driving with no coolant. Did you notice the temps spiking?

Note to anyone reading this. Never close your bonnet thinking job's a goodun, always run the car up to temp with the bonnet open while keeping a close eye on everything.

Funnily enough we did exactly that mate, the more I think about it I reckon I put the hose back on but half on and it's pressured itself off.

I may even have put the bloody leads back on wrong.

Is there a manual/instructions on which order they go on?

Funnily enough we did exactly that mate, the more I think about it I reckon I put the hose back on but half on and it's pressured itself off.

I thought that there were numbers on the cap mate. Don't you have them?

The order that the coolant hoses go onto the TB? It doesn't make any difference mate. It's just a pass through to keep the TB at a steady temperature.

What happened when you topped up the oil and the coolant..... did it lose it again? Any white smoke coming out the exhaust? How's the temperature looking?

You need to check the HT leads and make sure they are firing in the right order, if they aren't you might cause some damage. Once you have it at least running in the correct order and clean, then check you aren't losing any oil/fuel and that the temps stay reasonable.

Firstly, clean out the plug holes as much as you can, once you have dunked in kitchen roll and soaked out as much as you can, take the plugs out and let any tiny drops fall into the chamber (note.... tiny drops).

Clean up the plugs as much as you can and make sure they aren't black. A wee shine with a bit of emery paper or a copper brush would do the trick.. don't go crazy.

Replace the plugs and the HT leads, making sure they are in the correct order (numbered). I have no idea if you can get the dizzy side wrong so check that too if you changed it.

Take off the radiator cap and start the engine. Keep an eye on the fluid in the cap and if it starts gushing out you have a headgasket issue. If it doesn't, give it a few seconds and then place the cap back on.

Bring everything up to temp, keep an eye in the engine bay and on the temperature gauge itself.

You WILL need to bleed your radiator etc, but that can wait for a little while. Do the above to make sure that everything is OK first. Concentrate on getting it running properly first.

The oil is nothing to do with the hose. That's a separate issue entirely. Probably one of the main seals at worst, or the cam seals. I'm not too clued up on the weak oil spots on the N/A though.

Temp was OK for the short distance I drove it, didn't go over the normal level.

No white or bluish smoke, a bit of fluid did come out though.

Topped the oil up with all I had which was enough to get the bottom of the dipstick but not nearly enough.

Need to strip it tomorrow I think exactly as you describe Scott and go from there and pray it's nothing terminal

If the oil was just low, then it's not really a lot to worry about. Just keep a closer eye on the level from now on. The bottom of the dipstick is around 4.5-5L in the system, so dont worry about it. It generally takes 1L, I believe, from min-max on the stick. It's certainly around that level so don't pay too much attention to that just yet.

Just do as I've said and you should get a good handle on where you stand. It sounds like a mild over reaction now though, I'm sure it's all fine ;)

BTW, don't think that the coolant spitting out the radiator means that it's a blown HG at this point (just to stop any more panic). You may have air locks in the system now, since losing coolant, and when those pockets heat up they will push the water out the radiator. Bigger pockets means bigger glugs out the cap. It shouldn't start doing that after a minute or 2 running, but if it does, don't run for the hills right away :D

I think it's firing order too. This diagram is from a JZZ31 Soarer which has the same 2JZGE engine. You can see from the positions of the leads in the first two clips which cap connection is which. #5 is at the 3 O'Clock position and #2 is at 9 O'Clock.

oe9397lexus03.jpg

lead layout.gif

You have to go some to kill the N/A lump.

I lost the water hose once and drove about a 1 1/2 without noticing the gage. It was fine after a top up. Ive also got water in the plugs before steaming the engine on the N/A it missed a bit but nothing major.

AS above are you sure you got the leads in the right way?

I got most of my old N/A lump in my store, im a bit far but if you want to take bits from it feel free

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

Thanks all really appreciate the help.

Removed everything today for a clean and dry, the plugs are actually numbered but with cold/dark/hunger/up for 18 hours I probably panicked.

Did the right thing getting it trailered home though or it'd be someone's barbecue today!

Walking to Halfords now to get oil and coolant and I should be good to go.

Will update once it's alive again!