The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Seals on the way out?

listy

This is just for confirmation really, I can never remember what smoke is for what :innocent:

Symptoms

-Blue smoke from the exhaust (Tayfun.tugra pointed it out on the way to JapFest)

-Oil residue in the IC pipes

No problems on boost or normal driving, oil level not really affected. I change my oil every 3-4 months and have never had to top it up (daily driver)

So, am I right in thinking this is my turbo oil seals on their way out?

If so, over the next few months I'll probably be looking for a pair of low (ish) mileage stock turbos.

Listy does it clear after a short while? If so then it has to be valve stem seals. If it doesn't then yep turbo seals are in need of replacing. Any severe smoke under boost? When Turbofit buggered my car and the turbo seals it was pluming white smoke under boost.

Listy does it clear after a short while? If so then it has to be valve stem seals. If it doesn't then yep turbo seals are in need of replacing. Any severe smoke under boost? When Turbofit buggered my car and the turbo seals it was pluming white smoke under boost.

Other way around for me (sort of.)

It wouldn't smoke under boost, but would smoke on lift off. Turbo seals done, all better. :)

Similar to my issue. How much did it cost to have them done?

I got them done at a garage in Yorkshire (long story) who did the labour of removing the turbos, plus rebuilds etc for ~£1300 or so, I think. Turns out my turbos were completely knackered and needed a lot more than just the seals doing too, which brought the price up.

I got them done at a garage in Yorkshire (long story) who did the labour of removing the turbos, plus rebuilds etc for ~£1300 or so, I think. Turns out my turbos were completely knackered and needed a lot more than just the seals doing too, which brought the price up.

Cheers... Ouch ha.

I was quoted 1000, max worse case scenario 1500! I was hoping you'd say 500 haha.

It's the time without the car that'll kill me more, it's more only one.

Cheers... Ouch ha.

I was quoted 1000, max worse case scenario 1500! I was hoping you'd say 500 haha.

It's the time without the car that'll kill me more, it's more only one.

You can buy a pair for £250 ish. Replace them yourself ;) Probably what I'll be doing, then rebuild the old ones, ready for when the replacements go ;)

A proper garage does not imply a proper mechanic is working on your car bud, also someone elses car is always treated not like your own. If you have enough info and have someone from the club to help you I am sure to change the turbo is not rocket science. Time on the other hand is everything.. so If you have time it is better to replace it yourself.

Guest Budz86

Sounds like how mine started Jon. On boost it's fine but on lift off it smokes blue, and if I touch the throttle again it plumes out the back! Ask the dragonballer's, I smoked plenty of them this weekend! What boost you running at the moment?