The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need help choosing a Helmet

dude

First one its the same as the Stigs :flame Dev ... i think lol :blonde:

I thought that but the stigs doesnt have the 'eyebrows ' on it , i think his is the 2nd as that has a lot of vents on it just like his , they are both the same money and i'll use it on the bike as well even though it aint really legal for that :thumbs:

Dude

get it in pink, looks like a POWER RANGER type helmet :)

have you got a fire proof racing suit and some of them racing boots too.

Yes dude and pants !!!! You will need a firesuit and gloves etc to race at Pod in proper comp next year and a parachute if your fast enough !!!

Dude :flame Dev

That first one is a bike helmet, innit John? I've got the Simpson Bandit 8 which is a proper car helmet (Although I use it on my bike)

The other one (in your second pic) is bleeding huge!!

This is my one :

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/5795/img23216gy.jpg

When I had bikes years ago, this Simpson type helmet wasn't 'street legal' as it didn't have any BSI certs etc.

From what I remember it was to do with the possibility of the front breaking on impact and that pointy bit penetrating your skull at the top of your nose!

That was then, they might have changed design/manufacturing methods since?

But hey, WTF..........they do look cool :thumbs:

Paul

When I had bikes years ago, this Simpson type helmet wasn't 'street legal' as it didn't have any BSI certs etc.

From what I remember it was to do with the possibility of the front breaking on impact and that pointy bit penetrating your skull at the top of your nose!

That was then, they might have changed design/manufacturing methods since?

But hey, WTF..........they do look cool :thumbs:

Paul

Same here, still don't think they are strictly road legal but then neither are tinted visors and everyones wears them. IIRC the reason they don't have the BSI sticker it's because they refused to put them through the test over hear. As Simson are so huge in the states and it qualifies for gold track use I guess they just fell a little arrogant about it and think, why should they?

That's what I heard anyway.

Superb lids tough. :thumbs:

The reason they are not legal is that the opening for the visor is too small and effects your peripharal !! vision , this is what makes the helmet so strong , Simpson now do a 'bike legal' Bandit but it is not as nice as either of these , looks like Jake has one of the original 'Bad Boy' jobbies , think im gonna go for the second one , its a much better lid with more ventilation and according to the lovely young lady at Simpson is 'much cooler' :love: , like i said these are designed for car racing and as such i have to pay about $50 more to have a Nomex liner , bike lids are Nylon so in a fire they stick nicely to your head and you end up looking like Geezabloke !!! :p

here is a cool colour coded race suit helmet and boots :)

these race boots look comfy.

whats it with parachutes. i cant remember even the real fast cars using them.

should beable to stop on jap brakes :thumbs:

http://hollywoodcostumesandparty.com/pics/redranger.jpg

Any car in a proper competition at the Pod/Avon Park/York that runs over 150mph terminals will have to have a chute , no-one said it has to work and i agree that even J-spec brakes should stop , i was easily stopping from 135 for the first exit :cool: Andy Barnes however was struggling to make the 2nd and he allmost crossed the line at 150 :respekt: , also in the same rules any car faster than 11.5 secs (i think) will have to have a cage and the driver a lid and firesuit !!!, at the moment this is only for a proper comp. but mark my words the first time there is an accident at a RWYB involving a fast car these will be enforced at those meetings too just like in the US , i'll let you know the exact rules soon as im going to the meeting with the Pod and the rule writers to come up with a formula for import racing as a lot of the drag rules cant/dont need to be applied to our cars , personally ive seen enough accidents with supergas cars (which we should be similar too) that i dont begrudge wearing a helmet/suit etc , a guy i know who is local to me crashed a 'Fastest street car' 56 chevy just before the line this year for no apparent reason, he broke both legs ,an arm,shoulder and had a few minor internal injuries , he was the fastest man in europe on a drag bike and in a 4 cylinder car and even went to the states and took the title of fastest 4 cylinder car in the world (Ford Probe and Focus) so he knew what he was doing , BTW he is now fine allthough he had to cough up £50K for the Chevy !!!!

Simpson are now legally imported in to the UK for bikes as they now have the ACU BSAU thingy so if you get one over here it will be bike legal - probably a bit more money then in the US but might be worth it to avoid hassle

The legal Simpson looks Pansy !!!! :limp: and a bike one is no good cause it has a nylon lining :eyebrows:

Dude :devil:

Well, there goes any desire I had to have a 10 second car! - I'm buggered if I'm putting a cage in my car! :sly:

Why if it doesnt intrude whats the difference ??? and you wouldnt see it anyway !!! :D And its prob only needed in a 10 sec car so you'll be fine :eyebrows: :baa:

Dude :eyebrows:

And it will add stiffness so Chantell will be fine with it :eek: