The mkiv Supra Owners Club

boxless exhaust

dr_jekyll

is there a boxless exhaust currently available?

I currenlty have a 3" system fro the turbo back with just a back box, but the box itself weighs a tonne and tbh I don't think it really does anything. the car will be an occasional use toy so the louder and more antisocial the better.

I was thinking of just having 3" pipe right through and out the back with no boxes, has anybody done this or is there a rear section already available anywhere?

cheers,#

lucifer

I have a single cherry bomb in place of the usual back box on one of the eBay jobbies. Its a 13" glasspack with a diameter of around 4.5" and 3" ports. They are reversible and one way is louder than the other. Running it in the quiet mode is as loud as you would want it IMO. I love the way it sounds and looks and so far everyone who has heard it in the flesh agrees. The glass packs are designed to absorb lots of the HF stuff so it gives a nice deep, loud tone. Weighs very little too.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

I have a single cherry bomb in place of the usual back box on one of the eBay hobbies. Its a 13" glasspack with a diameter of around 4.5" and 3" ports. They are reversible and one way is louder than the other. Running it in the quiet mode is as loud as you would want it IMO. I love the way it sounds and looks and so far everyone who has heard it in the flesh agree. The glass packs are designed to absorb lots of the HF stuff so it gives a nice deep, loud tone. Weighs very little too.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/shaneg7ewl/th_CBomb2_zps600754a8.jpg

Bloody hell a cherry bomb hahahahahaha hahahahaha my god I've not seen one of them for years!!!!!!

Bloody hell a cherry bomb hahahahahaha hahahahaha my god I've not seen one of them for years!!!!!!

Yes and the car is an auto too so don't look any further as you will hate it.

The new glasspack "mufflers" although similar in appearance to the old school bombs are a fair bit different in design and there is a huge range available here in the UK. John Woolfe racing stock them.

More here: http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/Categories/glasspack.aspx

Yes and the car is an auto too so don't look any further as you will hate it.

The new glasspack "mufflers" although similar in appearance to the old school bombs are a fair bit different in design and there is a huge range available here in the UK. John Woolfe racing stock them.

More here: http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/Categories/glasspack.aspx

Blast from the past those! I always wanted one when I was younger

My car has a set of "Aussie" dump pipes, no cats, a mid box delete and all the sound deadening removed from the back box.

Basically as good as a straight through system & I wouldn't have it any other way, never had any issues with the noise limits at Mondello either.

From inside.

My aristo which Tom then ran had no boxes. To be fair it was running 4 pipes but there was nothing especially loud about it. It was raspy and at certain RPMs drony but with a 6 speed box you didn't ever have to sit in the drone zone. In fact it was surprisingly not loud. I've heard louder supra's with back boxes.