The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3D Printing for the supra - Need some ideas

Jord

So one of my mates has a 3D printer at his company and he says they're happy for him to use it to print whatever he likes. So far he's used this to create himself a phone holder that fits in to his cd tray which is pictured below.

This got me thinking...what could I create that might be useful that would fit for the supra. I'm pretty handy with 3D software so I'll be able to create it in 3D for printing with measurements I take from my supra. I've seen people create custom gauge holders which might be a cool idea but wondered if anyone has any ideas and I'll give it a shot to see what the end result would be. If you could have anything you wanted made custom for you, what would it be?

Nothing too big like spoilers though, I don't think the printer can handle it, video below of it printing the phone holder.

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/e2/44/66/b6/ca/_GS3-2_preview_featured.jpg

supra key ring

ganador mirrors

ash tray maybe helpfull everyone seems to have a broken one

Liking these, ash tray should be easyish I'd have thought. As for the exhaust surrounds I'm sure how the materials used would compare to what they use. I was told it uses it's basically plastic but is fairly strong considering. I don't have any intention of selling anything or supplying anything, I'm just curious about ways the tech can be used.

What about a 3d vagina for Ed?

It should be able to print in pretty small detail but I'm not sure about THAT small.

Isn't that phone holder facing the wrong way??

America.

can it make clear plastics? as theres a big demand for clear facelift sidemarker lenses ;)

Not that i know of with these machines. We use sla which is clear but its not cheap. Its laser sintering so uses resin, the 3d printers as far as I am aware can not do clear, but then I am bias and hate the things as it really is a cop out to the industry.

Out of interest what 3d software are you using mate, we use magics for our stl files.

Solidworks or 3DS Max. I need to find out if there's a way to get from 3DS Max to print still but I know Solidworks can.

The material in the exdample my friend used is 'PLA' which I had to look up, it's apparently bioplastic and seems to be the same thing used in food packaging and bottles. I'm not sure it has much (if any) heat resistance. You can also print in 'ABS' which is stronger and would seem to withstand higher temperatures, LEGO is made out of it.

I'll find out if it can do clear plastics.