The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my power steering pump shot?

Rich.2211

Symptoms are:

- Noise when turning left, sounds like a wheel rubbing but I'm 95% sure it isn't, increases with engine speed, can't hear the same noise when turning right

- Small amount of power steering fluid overflown from reservoir after a drive, levels are definitely correct and not over/under full

- 2 minutes of flat out high rpm action on a sprint course track day saw it throw quite a lot of fluid out the top of the reservoir. In those 2 minutes it chucked out more than it does in a weeks worth of normal driving so high rpm and heat must play a part in it.

- Attempted bleeding the power steering and after 15 minutes of the power steering fluid looking completely normal it suddenly "frothed up" with loads of tiny bubbles out of nowhere. Continued bleeding and the bubbles went and never reappeared so maybe it had some air trapped in the system?

- No leaks that I can see/have noticed. If it was leaking/drawing air in would it not froth up all the time?

My only theory so far (working on the basis of it used to be absolutely fine, and since I've messed with this it's fubared :rolleyes:) is that due to me having to slacken of one of the power steering lines going into the power steering rack and then tightening it back up it has somehow drawn air in and fubared the pump :search:

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this should be in MKIV Technical, my apologies :innocent:

Aside from the bubbles it sounds pretty much exactly like mine is mate, which I think is screwed.

Topped it up with fluid temporarily and getting a replacement fitted in the next couple of weeks.

Think I may have to bite the bullet and get another one then. Balls!

Check your hoses that go to the resevoir. I had the same symptoms a while back, and turned out one of the hoses was cracking and leaking.

While the hose was in place, it was not noticeable, but when removed, if I flexed the hose, it was badly cracked and split.

Worth double checking before getting a pump.

Check your hoses that go to the resevoir. I had the same symptoms a while back, and turned out one of the hoses was cracking and leaking.

While the hose was in place, it was not noticeable, but when removed, if I flexed the hose, it was badly cracked and split.

Worth double checking before getting a pump.

Already checked mate :( but I will check them again to be SURE!

My pump has a whine since I purchased my car, now with the build I purchase all the internals parts of the pump in toyota, I have the part references if you want to repair your pump, the bearing, internal shaft and gasket kit. ;)

Just had my power steering rebuilt the resoirvoir internal guaze was full of sediment which killed the pump take it off shine a light in if it's dirty rinse it out with brake cleaner and refit you may save the pump. Do not keep driving it like I did I stuffed my pump

Pop the reservoir out, clean the gauze filter, drain the fluid, put new fluid and bleed. Mine had similar symptoms to yours...just without the frothiness. It sounds a million times better now! Get a second hand pump or just rebuild your current one if its definitely fubared. Proper annoying noise though, almost like a lightsabre lol

Can't believe I didn't mention this before, but if the fluid is going frothy (loads of tiny bubbles) then air is getting in somehow.

Which is what I had, hence my suggestion.

That's what we thought mine was frothy as hell and would erupt out of the top. after days it was the pump fighting the gauze and causing cavitation bubbles :/

Pop the reservoir out, clean the gauze filter, drain the fluid, put new fluid and bleed. Mine had similar symptoms to yours...just without the frothiness. It sounds a million times better now! Get a second hand pump or just rebuild your current one if its definitely fubared. Proper annoying noise though, almost like a lightsabre lol

This is your first point of call as I said do it sooner rather than later you can save the pump....

Where's the gauze in the pump or res?

It's in the res.

Take out the 3 10mm bolts holding it to the car and disconnect the two lines then drain it.

Then point a led torch into the top you should see a metal gauze clean if it's sludges up or full of sediment it can cause the bubbling and volcano like symptoms ohhh and the screeching.

Just rinse it and shake with brake cleaner until it's clean then blast with an air line then refit and top up with fluid it's gravity fed so bleeding shouldn't take 2 mins.

I didn't do this and drove with loud whining for 2 weeks and it starved the pump :(