The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA Supra's and half leather seats

Polemarch

Please could somebody explain to me exactly what the half leather seats in the Supra are? Any official documentation or brochure links would be appreciated. I've attached pictures of my interior below, what would you call it? Half leather or is it something else? Is half leather actually leather or just leather looking?

In most models the rears are not leather but look like leather. I think some traders are using the decription incorrectly. I think leather rears were an option except in the GZ or UK models where they were standard full leather.

The term half leather is correclty used when the car has leather fronts and the the leather look plastic seat in the back.

The rear seat in my GZ wasn't real leather just the naff plastic effect. AFAIK the only genuine leather rear seats were in the UK cars weren't they?

Correct. On J Specs if the fronts are full or half leather the rears will be vinyl. I think the rears will be cloth if the fronts are cloth, although I have read that the rears are always vinyl no matter what the fronts are (that was from a reputable source but I find it hard to believe). On UK cars it's leather all round.

I would class those pics as 'half leather'. Forget the rears, it's the fronts that determine what it should be described as - either cloth, half leather (as pics), or full leather (although note that J spec leather, which is actually leather fronts and vinyl rears, will generally be described as 'leather' or 'full leather' even though it isn't. Technically the only 'full' leather interior is the UK spec).

ASFAIK there are virtually no cloth rear seated cars at all. Cloth rear seats must exist as i am sure that Rosie has a set kicking around, possibly off a facelift N/A. The front seats in his pic look like the standard cloth affairs with a leather rear panel. You can get the leather covers from japan to convert your seats into the standard leather ones but be beggered if I know what the part number is.

A RZ I believe.

I was compiling a comprehensive list of what came on what models a few months back but I binned in when I chucked in the forum modding. If memory serves, the RZ came with cloth as standard, you had to tick the box to get leather.

There was an excellent list on the New Zealand Supra site that told you a lot of this stuff, but I can't seem to find it now.