The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi Guys just curious

bigcooler

Hi guys i am new here but have always been a massive fan of the supra, well you could call it my dream car.

I am curious though why the twin turbo auto is much much cheaper than the twin turbo manual,

is it as simple as there are more auto's than manual and could easily just change the gearbox and clutch etc or is there a massive difference.

Sorry if this is a repost but i'm not very good with computers and find it hard to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks Ben

Hi guys i am new here but have always been a massive fan of the supra, well you could call it my dream car.

I am curious though why the twin turbo auto is much much cheaper than the twin turbo manual,

is it as simple as there are more auto's than manual and could easily just change the gearbox and clutch etc or is there a massive difference.

Sorry if this is a repost but i'm not very good with computers and find it hard to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks Ben

It's because everyone (well almost everyone) wants the manual and it costs ££££s to do a manual conversion to a V160/V161 6 speed box.

Good news for the minority that actually want an Auto though.

I have been through nearly all the different specs of Supra's both NA and TT and both manual and auto.

The auto's are cheaper because there were more made and also because of the manual being better for total control/sports driving/other cliche' !

The auto TT's are great the autobox is very good considering it's age

However if the prices were the same I'd have a manual in a heartbeat

Secondhand manual conversions go for £3000 ish and secondhand autoboxes go for circa £100 if you can even get rid of one

If you can only afford an auto I wouldn't let that at all put me off having one

Saying that manual ones seem to be stable at £7-12K and so you are unlikely to loose much in the long run if you can raise the funds initially

What is it that has to be done for the conversion though

There's not so much that has to be done, adjustments/welding to the transmission tunnel dash dials etc but its the very high cost of the secondhand parts to carry it out that make it less sensible to buy an auto to later convert.

Well your question has been answered above

So welcome to the club, where abouts are you in Devon

Are you getting close to buying a Supra or still thinking of it as a dream car for the future

:hello:

Hi im near Axminster but not got one yet want to make sure i get the one that I want otherwise it will be a dream killer its got to be manual turbo but which way to get one is what im finding hardest.

Ben

As a few have said above, for money reasons, the best way to get a TT 6 Manual is to buy it that way from the start

It gets very expensive to do it via the transmission swap route, not only the cost, but time, the 6-speed boxes don't come up that regularly

I really wouldn't rule out the Auto until you have tried or been in one at least

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

After all said and done its a matter of preference . I,ve owned a lot of fast cars including my 1st Supra ( auto ) ,2nd 6spd ( man ) , 3rd (auto ) . Out of the three the auto box is my fave . I doubt if there,s anything between 0 - top end , between my auto and a 6spd man of the same power band .

You need to get to some Meets/Shows, there will be a few coming up now

You welcome to have a look around mine, but I am running a 5-speed box on a TT transplant, so not really much help to you

I am in Exmouth by the way

I will be going to japfest next weekend.

I would be nice to have a look at a few different options