The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My first supra

Tommyd16

Ok thought I would start my build thread.

Bought my supra from keron in January. TT auto with about 125k km on the clock. Didn't have an MOT or tax and apparently was standing for 7 months I think he said. Had loads of paperwork with it so I took a gamble. Luckily it only needed two tyres and some wipers I think to pass the MOT. Had it under sealed while I was there aswell.

The car was generally in ok condition. But the paint was shot. And had afew niggly bits to sort out. The blue dash conversion barely worked, grab handle falling off, aerial was a windscreen job that wasn't really stuck anymore, apiller falling off, vs skirts badly fitted and cracked, and afew other bits, so I have been working through it slowly.

When I got itimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

imageimage

Edited by Tommyd16 (see edit history)

itted my DAB head unit - which was a pita! All the wires were just taped together so I bought an ISO block and soldered it in so if the headunit has to come out now it has the ISO blocks. Also sprayed the panels gloss back - like piano black.

imageimageimage

Also fitted a boost guage

The standard intercooler was pretty f****d. So I replaced it with a greddy 2 row

imageimage

I got a k&n induction kit that's massive! Lol so I could fit the intercooler pipes

The side skirts where doing my head in and also the uk scoop as it was only stuck on and lifting my bonnet at speed so I ripped it off!

imageimageimage

I rattle canned over it so it wasn't so noticeable lol

Fitted some HIDs

Picked up a fiberglass bonnet from a member on here that lives round the corner from my girlfriends house. Me and her carried it about half a mile from his house down the road lol fitted it with the aero catches

Replaced all the vac hoses - as much as I could anyway - (ran out of hoses lol) as they seem rock hard and brittle. And got a cat back off eBay which I'm very impressed with! At the same time fitted a double decat which I got off mk1its and an AFR gauge. Also a brand new Walbro fuel pumpimageimageimage

Put a supra badge on the back with facelift lights and new number plate to replace the rediculously over sized one. There is also spots of filler over the place where I have started doing some prep and blacked out the front indicators with flyeye stuffimage

There has also been afew issues I've had to sort out. It went through a stage of not starting so I replaced the ignitor and also I had to replace the crank sensor as it was breaking down and eventually failed. I had to change the idler pulley and fan belt as they were horribly noisey. I also had an afew oil leaks. The powersteering cooler rusted through so on the advice of Chris Wilson, with all new hoses, I used the cooler in the radiator from the auto box as the new power steering cooler and fitted a 13 row oil cooler for the gear box. I had to replace the hoses for the auto box cooler as one of these were leaking. I will be changing the cam cover gaskets tomorow and also the oil filter housing has a weak I will need to sort.

Other parts I've fitted include new nuts and bolts all over the place.

FMIC cooling plate

HKS SSQV

Thor speedo convertor and delimiter

HKS turbo timer

Greddy BCC

New spark plugs

New aerial and DAB aerials stuck to quater windows behind the tints so not visible from the outside.

New grab handle

Apiller correctly fitted.

All rattles sorted behind dash!!

Active spoiler button removed and blank fitted

Active spoiler ecu removed

Plasma glow dials

Alarm LED repositioned

Bulbs replaced behind dash for big red triangle and other warning lights.

I think that's most of it. Still have a huge shopping list! Just purchased these for £111 of fleebay :)

As she stands now

Move pics and updated coming soon :)

Is it going to stay silver, or are you going to go with a different colour?

Oh, and for your information, if you want this to end up in the Project Car section at any point, all pictures will have to be uploaded and attached directly to the forum.

There is a guide of how to do this in the New Members section.

Also, what aerial did you use? I got an "in window" one off eBay and it's useless once the car is moving :(

Edited by listy (see edit history)

Cheers :) it's an eBay one sticks on the window. It works fine but when the HIDs are on its rubbish for some reason. Had this problem in the past aswell.

I'm still undecided on the paint. A full respray in silver will cost a lot so until I can afford that I'm thinking of plasti dipping it white. I've always wanted a white supra.

The vision I have in my head at the minute is all white with a TRD spoiler with a carbon blade and caps, a black rear diffuser and these 19" wheels. I think that would look mint. Also replace the vs spats for OEM

• 3 months later...

A small update:

Haven't done much as I went on holiday, but the seats have been refurbed. I fixed my heater controls as someone had done a rubbish attempt at converting them blue before and the buttons didn't light up and neither did the temp dial part. That's sorted now. Also fitted my boost controller. Makes a huge difference! Got about 80-90% setup now. Abit tricky to get the settings right. I fitted the low level spoiler today, which I think looks amazing! And has changed my mind on the way the project is going. I did love my front bumper but now I'm thinking stock or maybe ridox as it would suit the style better. I have ridox spats to fit but haven't got around to fitting them yet. I also purchased some new wheels and fitted a HKS mushroom filter and appradio (which isn't great to be honest) and finally I serviced it and changed the cam cover gaskets and sprayed the cam covers black - so actually I have done quite a lot lol

imageimageimageimageimage

Wheels just mocked up- had to order some tuner nuts which I haven't received yet

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Now the supra looks like this I have decided to keep it silver with the black bonnet and spoiler - looks good but what do people think about the bumper?

This top secret one, ridox or stock with a lip?

Cheers

Tommy

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my new wheels on with new tyres. Gave my headlights a quick refurb. Also swapped bumpers with kayjay in the street outside my girlfriend house lol started on the bodywork but I have quite abit to do to get it sorted and smooth ready to be wrapped. Today I wired up the facelift indicators and sidelights properly and also fitted my new powersteering cooler above the FMIC. The rear spats will be going back on. I had to remove them to sort the paint out as the veilside spats where stuck on with a horrendous amount of tiger seal. Getting there slowly!

I fitted the top aluminium water pipe and alloy over flow tank ans I have also started looking into going single for when the body is sorted. I fancy the 60mm billet that Whifbitz do. I think that will be amazing ok the street! :)imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Looks good mate. Work wise though, I've had the same sort of issues with new supra. Purchased it back in March and it's still having things sorted out now at my local garage. Bought it for £4000 and probably put another £11000 into it to completely restore it and make it showroom condition.

Not far off now, just had a complete respray and now just getting a minor leak fixed and new clutch/flywheel fitted. Should have it back by November lol.

I'm trying to do every thing myself as much as possible. Done some more body work today, sanding and filling etc done the outside of the headlights again and they are looking pretty good now! Sprayed the fuel tank cover satin black and fitted my ridox reps spats - bit of a pain in the arse but got there in the end. Also smoothed the front bumper where the number plate should be. Looks good but haven't decided what to do with the number plate yet. Would of took more pics but ran out of space on my phone

:( but enjoy these onesimageimageimageimageimageimage