The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New tyres

AndrewOW

I know this subject had been done to death, but I'm trying to get my Supra back on the road.

I haven't got an enormous budget, but would like a good price/performance balance on some new tyres.

I've looked into the following tyres (245/275):

• Falken 453

• Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta/Cento

• Uniroyal Rainsport 2

• Continental ContiSportContact 5

They all have reasonable 'online' customer reviews, but has anyone had real world experience of these, and can advise me in some way?

I'm erring to Vredestein fronts and Uniroyal rears, as the prices on Camskill/Mytyres are very cheap, but are they any good?!

:)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just orderd some vredestein ultrac sessanta from tyreleader at a very good price.

Yes, they are very good prices. If I decide to order those, I'll buy them from Tyreleader. :)

I used Falken FK452's for years and rated those, but I hear a lot of good reviews about the Vreds.

I've had Falken 452s on the car for many years. I think they've moved on to 453s by the looks of it, but I was never 100% happy with the wet/wear performance of the 452s.

Maybe the Vreds will fair better. I may give them a go this time.

:)

According to tyreleader rubbish for fuel efficiency though.

The best "quality tyre" on there was GT something or other as an all rounder.

Personally for a car like the Supra I'd be more concerned with wet grip than fuel economy - the latter can be affected far more by other factors such as a dirty O2 sensor or poor mapping. Tyres won't make a big difference to efficiency unless you go changing the sizes by a huge amount.

Personally for a car like the Supra I'd be more concerned with wet grip than fuel economy - the latter can be affected far more by other factors such as a dirty O2 sensor or poor mapping. Tyres won't make a big difference to efficiency unless you go changing the sizes by a huge amount.

I'm not saying I look for fuel efficiency when buying tyres, I was just pointing out that the Vreds (in that section) were one of the worst tyres for it.

When I look at tyres, I look for noise level, wear rate, and wet and dry grip (not necessarily in that order)

Then like most, I shop around until I find them at a price I'm happy with.

Personally for a car like the Supra I'd be more concerned with wet grip than fuel economy

Absolutely this...in my experience at stock levels of power dry grip is not really an issue with even more budget tyres, but poor wet grip can ruin the whole standard Supra owning experience. I've looked at wear rate in the past for tyres for other cars but can honestly say I've never considered a mpg rating gain/deficit...I'd like to see the stats for the best mpg vs the worst it can't be in the 5mpg range can it? even if it is with a Supra its the ideal place to compromise if the wet grip is excellent which in my opinion it is with the sessanta's.

Different websites give different ratings on all the recommendations so far, but the Vreds are still at the top at the moment.

It's the wet weather performance (then wear rate) that I'm most interested in, as I want the most out of them considering the traction is off whenever I am driving it!

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta without a doubt, just had 4 fitted to mine, TT VVTi 6 speed and it holds on strong at full power.

I had the 452 before and it used to slip just as full power came on, the Vreds also are better in the wet, I had it on my previous Supra too. An I am not afraid to drive my car in the rain ;)

I'm on about the eu ratings, like this

Yes, I see that, and I would've thought the EU rating would be good enough, but I can't help being influenced by our esteemed members and online customer reviews as well.

The Avon ZZ5s aren't rated at all well on Tyreleader, but have a reasonable rating on Camskill, for instance.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta without a doubt, just had 4 fitted to mine, TT VVTi 6 speed and it holds on strong at full power.

I had the 452 before and it used to slip just as full power came on, the Vreds also are better in the wet, I had it on my previous Supra too. An I am not afraid to drive my car in the rain ;)

That used to happen to me too until I started driving like Miss Daisy.

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)

Yes, I see that, and I would've thought the EU rating would be good enough, but I can't help being influenced by our esteemed members and online customer reviews as well.

The Avon ZZ5s aren't rated at all well on Tyreleader, but have a reasonable rating on Camskill, for instance.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/avon/zz3/

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/avon/zz5/

The ratings are better for both of the Avons than the Sessantas.

Sorry i'm just playing Devils Advocate and understand what your saying

My point is

If the eu ratings are accurate then the Avons should be even better than the Sessantas or

the whole tyre labeling system is an expensive waste of time

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

...or

the whole tyre labeling system is an expensive waste of time

Just like the NEDC fuel economy and CO2 emissions tests - they're not exactly ideal. Not all tyre firms have the facilities to carry out the tests required for the EU standard either, so some are bound to come out better than others...

I know it's not been mentioned as a choice, but I've got Pirelli P Zeros on my BM, probably one of the best all round tyres I've used, my mate uses them on his 997 as well. Cannot fault them. I think Audi use them as standard fit on the R8 and Porsche do on some of the 997's so that will do for me. Mind you, not cheap, £540 as cost through a mate who works for National Tyres for 2x 275 30 20's! He just price matched Camskill.

I know it's not been mentioned as a choice, but I've got Pirelli P Zeros on my BM, probably one of the best all round tyres I've used, my mate uses them on his 997 as well. Cannot fault them. I think Audi use them as standard fit on the R8 and Porsche do on some of the 997's so that will do for me. Mind you, not cheap, £540 as cost through a mate who works for National Tyres for 2x 275 30 20's! He just price matched Camskill.

On an episode of Fifth Gear, Jason Plato said they're the only tyre he fits to his road cars.

I'm getting a pair for the rear LMs soon so will report differences between those and the frankly terrible Michelin Pilot Sports that are on them at the moment.

On an episode of Fifth Gear, Jason Plato said they're the only tyre he fits to his road cars.

I'm getting a pair for the rear LMs soon so will report differences between those and the frankly terrible Michelin Pilot Sports that are on them at the moment.

Care to elaborate as to why you say they're terrible ?

Which Pilot sports do you have ? the PS2 has very good reviews

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)