The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Offsets and tire sizes on 18inch wheels HELP ASAP

MattP

Im trying to order a set of Bola B1s in 18x8.5j and 18x9.5j the company said they make the wheels to order so I can have whatever offset I like.

what offset should I be going for on stock arches for aggressive fitment?

and am I okay sticking with 235/40/18 front and 255/35/18 tyre sizes?

8.5 +30 & 9.5 +30 should fit almost flush without rubbing the arches, lower the offset and the further out the wheels will sit and the more the arches would need rolling/pulling.

235/40/18 front 8.5J OFFSET 30

255/35/18 rear 9.5J OFFSET 30

Are these ok on stock arches?

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Can I use 235/40/18 front and 255/35/18 Ok on 30 offset aswell?

Tyres seemed to be designed differently, so choose a size that is correct for the width of wheel and check what the tyre wall is like. Some side walls seem to be vertical, yet some look stretched for the same sizes.

Tyres seemed to be designed differently, so choose a size that is correct for the width of wheel and check what the tyre wall is like. Some side walls seem to be vertical, yet some look stretched for the same sizes.

Indeed my old N/a had 275/35/18 and didnt scrub but when I downsized to 265/35/18 they did...

I currently have 8.5J 235/45/17 front and 10J 255/40/17 rears with bags of room and they fit with loads of space over my UK brakes.

Never had any traction issues at all in my BPU at these sizes either hence my reluctance to widen the tire size.

235/40/18 front 8.5J OFFSET 30

255/35/18 rear 9.5J OFFSET 30

Are these ok on stock arches?

Below are pics of my car with 18x9 +32 245/40/18 and 18x10 +32 285/35/18 wheels/tyres fitted, the arches needed the lip rolling so they wouldn't rub. In comparison 18x8.5 +30 and 18x9.5 +30 would sit 4mm further in which should mean they'd clear the stock arches without having to have them rolled.

You could go with a lower offset if you wanted a more aggressive fit but this would mean having the arches rolled eg. 18x8.5 +20 & 18x9.5 +20 wheels would sit 6mm further out compared to mine.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=741&d=1134500967 vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=744&d=1134501037

Below are pics of my car with 18x9 +32 245/40/18 and 18x10 +32 285/35/18 wheels/tyres fitted, the arches needed the lip rolling so they wouldn't rub. In comparison 18x8.5 +30 and 18x9.5 +30 would sit 4mm further in which should mean they'd clear the stock arches without having to have them rolled.

You could go with a lower offset if you wanted a more aggressive fit but this would mean having the arches rolled eg. 18x8.5 +20 & 18x9.5 +20 wheels would sit 6mm further out compared to mine.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=741&d=1134500967 http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=744&d=1134501037

Very nice Nic I shall play it safe and go for

235/40/18 (8.5J offset 30)

265/35/18 (9.5j offset 30)

One other thing to consider is whether the size/offset of the wheels will clear the brake calipers, this will depend on what brakes you have fitted and the design of the wheels.

One other thing to consider is whether the size/offset of the wheels will clear the brake calipers, this will depend on what brakes you have fitted and the design of the wheels.

Yes the Bolas only come in 2 sizes 8.5 and 9.5 and both fit over UK spec brakes which is what I have :)

These are the wheels they are just generic copies of Volk TE37

supra_bola_b1_cutout_rt.jpg

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Those are the same size tyres and wheels as mine, my offsets are 31 front and back, image

I think you could take off a few mil more on front, 25... And couple on the back 28, if they'll make them what ever you want 👍

Yes the Bolas only come in 2 sizes 8.5 and 9.5 and both fit over UK spec brakes which is what I have :)

These are the wheels they are just generic copies of Volk TE37

Nice!

They drive me nuts! Haha. But I know what you mean. Once I get my coilovers fitted over the weekend they'll look totally different again, so I'm waiting till they're on before deciding what to do next.

I love TE37's, and with them being made 'your' spec, Rota have rubbish offsets, and volk cost my than my last car ha - it'll be good to see how yours turn out.

They drive me nuts! Haha. But I know what you mean. Once I get my coilovers fitted over the weekend they'll look totally different again, so I'm waiting till they're on before deciding what to do next.

I love TE37's, and with them being made 'your' spec, Rota have rubbish offsets, and volk cost my than my last car ha - it'll be good to see how yours turn out.

My car has some sort of Ohlins suspension system coupled with stock VVTI springs which are super comfy so its guesswork what the car will look like