The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Seriously need help removing suspension

Guest Knightrider1980

Guest Knightrider1980

Like the title says I need help and advice removing the front stock suspension, as it seem to be a right bastard to do, to get you up to speed, I have removed the 3 nuts on top of the suspension, and the single bolt at the bottom which that part of the suspension has dropped but there is no gap at the top to show the whole thing has dropped and loosened, so its either stuck due to rust or I am doing something wrong, help please.

Edited by Knightrider1980 (see edit history)

Guest Knightrider1980
You need to also pull the top wishbone bolt out' date=' the long one, chassis side. It's easy on the drivers dude, pax side the washer bottle needs removing.[/quote']

bare in mind I am doing this on my drive way not in a garage, if you are talking about the A arm I have tried with a 17" spanner and its a bastard to remove.

I undid the top mount of the drop link, used a 14mm spanner and a long nose grip on the spline to stop it spinning which gives you more room to push the lower arm down...hope this helps

edit. also you need to heat the nut as Toyota used thread lock.

Guest Knightrider1980
I undid the top mount of the drop link, used a 14mm spanner and a long nose grip on the spline to stop it spinning which gives you more room to push the lower arm down...hope this helps

edit. also you need to heat the nut as Toyota used thread lock.

I will post some pics up, bare with me guys, they will be uploaded today, I know the rear suspension is easy to do, but damn I thought it would take me a day to swap stuff over, 2 days and the stock front suspension is still in there and doing my head in.

I did mine yesterday, you will need a breaker bar as they are torqued to 131 ft/lb and by the time theyve rusted for a few years are even tighter. Dont waste your time with a spanner as there's not enough leverage unless you surnames Swartzenegar. When you get the A arm off be sure to support the actual hub as it will fall towards you and you don't want to stretch the brake hose.

Have fun!!

Guest Knightrider1980

as promised here are the pics

20140422_121351.jpg

as you can see in this one i did remove the 3 bolts and its has not dropped.

20140422_121413.jpg

I removed the single bolt in this one and it did drop but the whole thing is still unmovable

20140422_121433.jpg

20140422_121451.jpg

what exactly need moving guys as its starting to piss me off

Guest Knightrider1980
The triangle shape aluminium A arm at the wide end

right thank you, so that needs to be removed and i can take the whole bastard out, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

If you compress the spring well you can take it out in one go without undoing any other bolts.

Done it myself on two occasions.

and how much is it to get a spring compressor?

You need to remove the upper wish bone pivot where it joins the sub frame. In the forth photo, undo the nut near the brake pipe (it will be very tight!), remove the lower front plastic arch and pull the bolt right out. Then you can swing the upper arm clear and push down on the disc to free the suspension bottom eye. I found it a great help to leave one of the three top nuts (photo one) loosely, as it held the unit steady. watch you don`t stretch the brake lines though;)

Chris i used that guide its no accurate, he mentioned using a bar but using a bar we still couldnt get it out, I even put my full weight on it and it didnt give enough clearance the only way to move it is taking the arm off. I am not sure whether the drop link needs to be removed, I replaced mine anyway but they were a pain in the ass to take off.

You need to remove the upper wish bone pivot where it joins the sub frame. In the forth photo, undo the nut near the brake pipe (it will be very tight!), remove the lower front plastic arch and pull the bolt right out. Then you can swing the upper arm clear and push down on the disc to free the suspension bottom eye. I found it a great help to leave one of the three top nuts (photo one) loosely, as it held the unit steady. watch you don`t stretch the brake lines though;)

This forgot to mention to keep the top nuts loose (we only did this yesterday so its fresh in my head)

Guest Knightrider1980
This forgot to mention to keep the top nuts loose (we only did this yesterday so its fresh in my head)

all of them are removed on the top part of the suspension mate

bare in mind I am doing this on my drive way not in a garage, if you are talking about the A arm I have tried with a 17" spanner and its a bastard to remove.

thats the problem...its a 19mm :D

use a breaker bar on the nut side to loosen... then you might need a spanner to hold the bolt side in place to stop it turning

Only scan read the thread but I've done a good few of these now. All I've ever done with the fronts is unbolt the strut (one at bottom, three nuts at the top), disconnect the front drop link, compress the spring as much as possible, lever the hub down with a decent length bar and wiggle the strut free. There is definitely a "knack" to it.