The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting intake temps down

cheekymonkey

Last year I had the car dynoed at Horsham Developments on one of their open days - dragged along by a friend who's been there before. Due to it being a rather warm day and there not being enough airflow in the dyno cell, I only saw 370 bph at the flywheel - which is silly compared to the 440 bhp proven at Surrey Rolling Road when Ryan G mapped it. I believe this was down to the crazy IAT on the day - I saw 70 degrees on the PowerFC!

So, one obvious way to address this is with a full FMIC set up. Are there any other ways? I was hoping my methanol injection system would have helped a little more than it has, but to be honest it only allowed ryan to squeeze an extra 15bhp out.

What about a new inlet manifold that retains less heat?

Both. Closing the gaps around the FMIC where air can escape around it, and heat shielding the air filter (if aftermarket) will help bring temperatures down.

One member had great gains after making proper ducting. I'll try and find the thread.

Thanks, yes that's fairly awesome! When I talk to Whifbitz about my FMIC I will definitely get them to approach the job with proper airflow in mind. I can't even begin to image IATs of 25 degrees. My engine would love me forever.

Why not go for the Whifbitz side mount with proper ducting instead of fmic? Are you stock bumper?

Top Secret front end as far as I know. And to answer your question, well, I don't know. I do plan to go for a medium sized single turbo one day (when the stock twins blow up) so having an FMIC already in place would be a bonus - unless the whifbitz smic can cope with 600 horses?

Yup, already have an AEM system installed. Guessing it can't do very much if the IAT is so high.

Water/meth injection if done correctly should reduce charge temps considerably, IAT fueling trim is not particularly significant, and shouldn't be the cause of the reduced BHP figures, I would suspect its down to the different RRs and there set ups.