The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Titan torque convertor questions

Tommyd16

If you have a bpu in sequential there is hardly any gains at all to be had just a quicker harder gear change, they are more aimed at more higher power cars, kann on here has one on car and he destroyed one of them, I see a video on you tube where a competing company opened up the box and it was practacly the same box with packers fitted in the solenoid springs to make the closing force greater

That's correct I did have one, still unknown what caused the converter to fail but when it was working it was excellent. Gear changes and characteristics of the box remain unchanged unless you have a built box but you will launch quicker but also loose top end. I had a single setup and my 3800 stall could brake boost to 3000rpm. This made a dramatic difference to acceleration, with bpu on stock twins a 3800 will launch the car in the middle of the power band which will give a great launch. I since have a new converter which I'll be testing with my big singlex hopefully it was down to a dodgy batch of converters.

You need to read up on what a torque converter is and why it's there ;) It is to allow an engine to rev to a point in the RPM band where it makes strong torque to allow excellent acceleration from a standstill. If you put a big turbo on a stock engine that moves the useful part of the torque curve upwards, or fit camshafts with more duration, that do the same, then a higher stall RPM converter will assist off the line acceleration. If you don't NEED one it will make the car do pitiful MPG, raise the transmission fluid temperature severely in traffic driving, make it sound like you are a learner driver to bystanders, and you will probably be fed up with it within a month. Totally unsuited to a car on stock turbos, and totally unnecessary.

Can some clarify somthing I've read (some where on the big Internet). There should be a problem if you install the HI-converter on a standard ECU, because it will not go higher than 3000 RPM if it does not moving, is that correct?

Or is the HI-stall just at build on and run product ?

:)