The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Esso Super Unleaded

cashpoint

Hadn't paid any attention to my fuel gauge so was a bit shocked when i noticed the fuel light on and the needle well below the E, so pulled into the next garage to get a bit of normal UL to last me to my local shell. once i'd put in £10, i wondered over to pay passed a SUL pump that i hadn't noticed as i came in 97 ron and 82.0 per litre. Where Optimax is 89 per litre at shell. There was a thread on the GTR forum that said that as Optimax isn't branded as superunleaded it only HAS to reach 95 RON so it can "go off" over time from the 98 to 95.

Has anyone used esso SUL petrol as it is alot less thn Optimax or am i going to be the tester?

yeah I use esso super or whatever its currently called. I haven't had any problems with it and mine is BPU. The price of esso super varies from time to time. Alot of the time its in the same price range as optimax and other times for a month or so it will be about 1p dearer than 95 standard UL. In my other cars its goes about 10% further than standard does so when it comes down to less than 10% more cost I used to use it instead of standard UL. In answer to your question about optimax I haven't noticed any difference between it and Esso super.

i think all this fuel argument is a load of old bollocks , ive tried optimax , as most of this club swear by it . but to be honest noticed no difference from the normal unleaded i put in at sainsburys .

there was a thread a few months back where one of the boys was trying to get a deal with shell for the optimax , but to no avail .

these companies are just taking the piss out of car owners like us .

and at the end of the day would you buy something that quentin wilson was endorsing , need i say any more. :mad:

hi db , as i said i put normal unleaded in from sainsburys . havnt had any probs with the car its the third year with the mkiv .

i think if the fuel was wrong to use it would have shown by now in some way or another.

pisses the mot every year just had the compresions checked they are all good . dont see the point of paying for the likes of optimax , fuel is dear enough as it is . :blink:

95 ron optimax is utter shite IMHO. Shell guarantee that its 98.6 ron, with an absolute minimum of 98. I'm sure this could easily be tested enough so what in it for them to sell it if its just NUL. BP tried to pull the wool with "Ultimate" when its no diffference to anything else they've done.

TBH, I've used Optimax in my Pug and Supra and GTR and Subaru since the day it was released and I have no reason to doubt it, hence always use it. Back in my subaru days I know for a fact it was possible for tuners to run more advance using optimax than with other garages NUL or even SUL, and thus get more power. The other fuels requiring a little octane booster to give equivalent results.

You pays your money and takes your choice IMHO, but I'll be sticking with Optimax, as do all my mates with other performance cars.

(NB - in Guildford/Bracknell theres absolutely no difference in the price of Optimax and SUL)

dont see the point of paying for the likes of optimax , fuel is dear enough as it is . :blink:

Yeah - fuel is pricey. But you're driving a High-Performance car - not a 1.1 Fiesta. Makes sense to use the best-performance fuel available for the good of the engine and to get the most out of the car. Supra's in Japan originally ran 100RON .. a drop of 5RON doesn't sound good to me for the engine.

All imho

Strange thing is...

I used only optimax in Pug 106 rallye 1600... and it is supposed to stop the carbon on the valves..

Needless to say when Graham S pulled the head off it, the valves had a LOT of carbon on them.... so I'm a little unsure on the claims that it cleans...

Gav

i think all this fuel argument is a load of old bollocks , ive tried optimax , as most of this club swear by it . but to be honest noticed no difference from the normal unleaded i put in at sainsburys .

there was a thread a few months back where one of the boys was trying to get a deal with shell for the optimax , but to no avail .

these companies are just taking the piss out of car owners like us .

and at the end of the day would you buy something that quentin wilson was endorsing , need i say any more. :mad:

You might get away with it on a standard Supra TT because the ECU is quite flexible in that way, but you won't get the most performance out of it on normal unleaded. Different story if you mod it for more performance - 95 RON petrol will end in tears.

Cheers,

Brian.

You might get away with it on a standard Supra TT because the ECU is quite flexible in that way, but you won't get the most performance out of it on normal unleaded. Different story if you mod it for more performance - 95 RON petrol will end in tears.

Cheers,

Brian.

Tears are way tooo expensive on a supra. I will use 97 RON super but only when the price difference warrants using it instead of optimax. It fluctuates quite a bit in price, more so than standard unleaded. Have to admit have used octane boosters in a standard car and thought they were toss.

There is a marked difference in performance from normal 95 fuel to 98.6 RON fuel. My uncle is a rally mechanic who sets up an EVO6 group 'N' rally car for a local rally driver, and on the last test session I went to (where I did a bit of co-driving :) ), they had re-mapped the car for 98.6RON optimax and the difference was very noticable when they showed me the dyno graphs.

There was a big thread a year or two ago about optimax and the time it takes to degrade. Basically your talking over 3 weeks of car standstill until the fuel drops 0.1 RON. But then the same is for 95RON... if you leave that for 3 weeks it will also drop 0.1 RON.

Does anybody know if the other fuels (Esso etc) do active ingredients to target unburnt fuel deposits in the engine like Optimax does?