The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adjusting height on Tein Suspension?

Guest Knightrider1980

Guest Knightrider1980

Just wondering how you go about adjusting the height on the Tein Superstreet suspension, I have the tools and grips that come with it, trying to turn the gears on it by hand seems very hard to do, obviously the suspension needs to be installed on the car first and then adjusting the height, but do I need a machine or just a plane old hammer?

Guest Knightrider1980
Shouldn't be too challenging to do, unless they're corroded and seized, if so, you may well need to take them off for some TLC and swear words.

they are not corroded at all, they were on my other supra for only 4 months until the accident happened, I did post up not long ago about the condition of the suspension, been told on here one suspension was only slightly out but still strong and good to keep using, just need to adjust to match the others, also been told that you cant adjust by hand, so I don't know.

Those double locking rings can bind together tight, they need copperslip on the threads and friction faces, you should've serviced (move and grease) them whilst they were off.

Try extending the C spanners with short lengths of tubing, if that doesn't work I'd take them out, it's a lot easier to get at them on the bench and a better option than toggering them up.

I adjusted mine last weekend, just needed to wire brush the threads and sprayed some wd40 to help lubricant the thread. I'm not keen on grease as it can become a grit/dust magnet! Just make sure you get the c spanners on the right locking ring as it can be too easy to get the wrong one and then you are fighting yourself!

I adjusted mine last weekend, just needed to wire brush the threads and sprayed some wd40 to help lubricant the thread. I'm not keen on grease as it can become a grit/dust magnet! Just make sure you get the c spanners on the right locking ring as it can be too easy to get the wrong one and then you are fighting yourself!

ill be doing the same thing tomorrow, one of my c spanners is snapped I thought they were both the same?

Guest Knightrider1980

thanks for the help guys, just to say they are not corroded at all as they have been in my house for about 4 years, just never had time until now to fit them onto the car, but will use WD40 just in case.

Morning folks,

I have fitted some 2nd hand rear coil overs onto the car with alot of help from Iky (thanks) (the fronts to go on tomorrow)

We are unsure how to adjust the coilovers, having had a look on the net and guide on here, alot of the walk throughs seem to be of the new style coilovers where there is a large nut at the bottom which you can adjust, and it allows you to move the bottom part up and down....

With the ones I have, it seems that you have to screw the large nut and compress the spring inorder to lower the ride height and use the 2nd nut to lock it into place, is this the correct way of doing it? At the moment the back of my car is sitting 10-15mm higher than the stock.

One of my C spanners has snapped (this is how I bought it), is it best to use both together in opposite directions for the lock?

Please give me some guidance :)

Pic attachedcoil.jpg

Guest Knightrider1980
Morning folks,

I have fitted some 2nd hand rear coil overs onto the car with alot of help from Iky (thanks) (the fronts to go on tomorrow)

We are unsure how to adjust the coilovers, having had a look on the net and guide on here, alot of the walk throughs seem to be of the new style coilovers where there is a large nut at the bottom which you can adjust, and it allows you to move the bottom part up and down....

With the ones I have, it seems that you have to screw the large nut and compress the spring inorder to lower the ride height and use the 2nd nut to lock it into place, is this the correct way of doing it? At the moment the back of my car is sitting 10-15mm higher than the stock.

One of my C spanners has snapped (this is how I bought it), is it best to use both together in opposite directions for the lock?

Pic attached[ATTACH=CONFIG]184008[/ATTACH]

been trying like mad to get the stock front suspension off, don't seem to want to budge, bolt on the bottom is removed, all four bolts ontop are removed, heard it drop but everything is still in place even tho all the bolts are removed, tried a hammer, tried kicking the springs, don't understand why it just wont come out.

Guest Knightrider1980

JUST wd 40 the hell out of the shocks, and springs underneath, so hopefully that will reduce rust and leave the gap I am looking for from the top of the suspension, also some advice on how to remove the A arm would be great as it seems to be a right bastard.

Hi mate, on the front passenger side we had to take the arm off (you need a pair of hands to ensure it doesnt stress the brake pipes) and take part of the wheel arch off and take the screws off that held the washer bottle. You can then remove it... on the driver side front you need to take the the arm off only as there is no washer bottle that side you can direct the shock towards the arch

The arm is held by a long bolt 19mm, when you take it out it tough to get the bolt back in whilst manuvouring the shock out so once its cleared, just stick a small rachet in place on the other end to temp hold the arm on, then it allows u to cooper grease the bolt before putting it back in

As for my previous post it was too late at night but I think all I need to do is turn the dial clock wise which should hopefully lower my ride height.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184149&stc=1&d=1398170368

arm.jpg

Edited by supra_ufo (see edit history)

Seems that the only way to lower the shocks you have is to reduce the spring height by screwing up the spring perch (the top nut). This will also stiffen up the suspension as the force to start compression of the spring increase in line with the amount of pre-compression.

To lock the spring perch in position you have to hold it still with one C spanner and tighten the locking ring against it with a second C spanner.

Seems that the only way to lower the shocks you have is to reduce the spring height by screwing up the spring perch (the top nut). This will also stiffen up the suspension as the force to start compression of the spring increase in line with the amount of pre-compression.

To lock the spring perch in position you have to hold it still with one C spanner and tighten the locking ring against it with a second C spanner.

thanks chris