The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Passing Emissions on a '96 NA-T

Style

What's the story with this situation then?

I have a 96 NA at the moment and if I was to go NA-T would be running a full 3" system with no cats at all. Would this cause problems come MOT time as it is post 95 and subject to a standing idle test? Of which I guess it would fail?

I'm not entirely clued up on this sort of thing so thought I would make sure. I'm guessing this sort of thing is down to knowing a "friendly" MOT tester. Better get looking then if that's the case! :D

What's the story with this situation then?

I have a 96 NA at the moment and if I was to go NA-T would be running a full 3" system with no cats at all. Would this cause problems come MOT time as it is post 95 and subject to a standing idle test? Of which I guess it would fail?

I'm not entirely clued up on this sort of thing so thought I would make sure. I'm guessing this sort of thing is down to knowing a "friendly" MOT tester. Better get looking then if that's the case! :D

I know a tester ;) never needed a cat in any of my supra's with him

Na supras dont need an emisions test iirc fella

I thought the same as Dan mate. After 95 the emissions tests all changed and as a result you have to have a cat present or something, here is when it gets a bit out of my knowledge as to the exact procedure.

I know a tester ;) never needed a cat in any of my supra's with him

Interestiiiing Bear, I was gonna see what Checkpoint say as that's where I usually go for work. Never done an MOT though and doubt he'd turn a blind eye really. It's not due for another few months yet but may give you a shout about details once I'm back onshore :thumbs:

I thought the same as Dan mate. After 95 the emissions tests all changed and as a result you have to have a cat present or something, here is when it gets a bit out of my knowledge as to the exact procedure.

Interestiiiing Bear, I was gonna see what Checkpoint say as that's where I usually go for work. Never done an MOT though and doubt he'd turn a blind eye really. It's not due for another few months yet but may give you a shout about details once I'm back onshore :thumbs:

No bother steven, mine is due in june anyway so will be using him again

Find a good tester, my guy passed mine last year even though she was well out. Isn't the fact the na is an import and not on the database mean they are tested against the tt and therefore pass?

I think for us post 95 guys that's the case mate. They need to match the car to the closest thing they have or something. But I think "technically" there needs to be a cat present on the car as well but I wouldn't imagine that is enforced a great deal by most garages. Sounds like I'll have to find myself a good tester.

Just had to teach the MOT tester how to do his job this morning regarding the same point, after wrongly doing a cat emissions test on my car yesterday and failing it. :rtfm:

The rule is that if the car was registered/used before 1st August 1995 and the exact car model isn't listed on their database then it should have a non CAT test. This flow chart from the MOT manual explains it very clearly.

http://imageshack.us/a/img404/7559/picture1sf.jpg

I found this post that Nic put up in a previous thread. The schematic should help if anyone comes across this in the future

indeed so for reference all TT's regardless import or not "technically" require a cat, this isn't to say a tester won't pass you they just shouldn't according to ruling. NA's August 95> require a cat and pre Aug 95 the tester should perform a non-cat test so it does still have emissions levels to meet however they are so high you shouldn't have an issue.