The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Turbo problem (I think)

Yarco

On the way to work this morning I put my foot down and when getting to around 3-4K revs the car stuttered, felt like the throttle being cut/traction control cutting in, but I didn't have the traction control on. It kept doing it until I heard a loud bang and after that from 2k revs onwards (turbo cut in), the turbo sounds loud and grindy when it cuts in. I didn't dare put my foot down after that! Any diagnosis guys? Clearly I'm taking it somewhere today to be checked out but I would appreciate everyone’s speculation :) Only had the thing 6 weeks, wounded :(

Edited by Yarco (see edit history)

Sounds similar to waht happened to me a few years back. I got the bang and a ping ping ping noise which happened to be a jubilee clip skipping its way down the road after popping the hose off the intercooler pipe.

This all sounds like what I experienced. Will have confirmation after 2pm, fingers crossed it's just a jubliee clip!

...or (and you may not want to hear this) it could be one of the turbos has failed and the noise you heard was the insides of it being spat out of the exhaust. If the noise was accompanied by a puff of smoke from the exhaust be prepared for the worst. :( I only say this because it sounds eerily familiar to when mine (second turbo) did exactly that, prompting me to go single.

Fingers crossed for the jubilee clip thing though. :)

...or (and you may not want to hear this) it could be one of the turbos has failed and the noise you heard was the insides of it being spat out of the exhaust. If the noise was accompanied by a puff of smoke from the exhaust be prepared for the worst. :( I only say this because it sounds eerily familiar to when mine (second turbo) did exactly that, prompting me to go single.

Fingers crossed for the jubilee clip thing though. :)

Couldn't see a puff of smoke in my rear view mirror but you can't see anything out of my back window anyway (limo tint)! Didn't see anything in the side mirrors either so lets hope for the best. :)

I've had an intercooler pipe pop off and it made a loud pop and the turbos were very loud and made a rushing air noise :)

The "rushing air" noise is a better description than the "grinding" noise I mentioned above. Either way it's not the woosh I'm used to!

Just to add if you are still running a stock intercooler you may have blown it apart, its almost curtain a boost pipe off from what you are saying

I have an Apexi front mount, so lets hope it isn't that! Now off to the garage so wish me luck!

Really sorry for the delay guys, had a heavy weekend as I hope you all did! Took it to my mechanic Thursday night and the air intake that is built into the driver side front wing had popped off (what a sod to access). I have no idea why it popped off but the turbo’s sound healthy again and the car pulls well :). However, under maximum acceleration I’m still getting that hesitation thing like its starved of fuel. It only happens when the car has half a tank of fuel or less, when I fill it up again there is no hesitation. Any guess what this could be guys? (Clearly I’m getting a full check up when I go for a remap in 2 weeks).

Edited by Yarco (see edit history)

Hesitation at higher boost levels tends to be ignition related; old plugs, wrong plug gap, wrong heat range plugs or worn coil pack connectors. I'd try a new set of plugs and new coil pack connectors if they are in poor condition.

Hesitation at higher boost levels tends to be ignition related; old plugs, wrong plug gap, wrong heat range plugs or worn coil pack connectors. I'd try a new set of plugs and new coil pack connectors if they are in poor condition.

Ye my guess is plugs to. I'm getting new ones this week as I'm not convinced they were replaced when the car was sold to me. Plus I want to run 1.2 bar so I need heat range 7 anyway. Coil packs could be worth a look to, hadn't thought of that. Cheers. :)