The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox oil/litres and brand?

jazz1

If you can find V-160 oil it's a no brainer to use it - it comes in 1L tins.

However if you look at the FAQ on Oil you'll see alternatives.

Ok perfect I tried finding your thread I couldn't, could you link it please.

- - - Updated - - -

Toyota oil, 1,8 liters

Thanks.

I bought Motul Gear 300 for the V160 and diff which was recommended as an alternative.

When cold, it's hard to change gear, but after 30 seconds of driving it's fine, and once the car is warm it's smoother than ever :)

Perfect :) 2 litres enough? Also how many litres for the diff? Il be calling opie oils tomorrow.

From the FAQ -

LSD Diff Oil

Stock = Unknown 75w90 Gear Oil

Capacity ~1.5L's (have 2L's Ready)

75w90 - Motul Gear 300 or Silkolene Syn5 (Now Fuchs Titan)

I recommened either of the two listed - both have been used without issue.

Interval = 2 Years / 30,000miles depending on use/power levels

See here for details on changing diff oil.

Manual 6-speed V160/161 Gearbox

Stock = Toyota V160 oil (PART No. 08885-01306)

Capacity 1.8l's when dry

Toyota V160 Oil (comes in 1L cans - require 2 cans)

Alternative:

Esso Dextron D21065

Royal Purple SynchroMax

BMW oil called MTF-LT-1 or LT-2

Castrol Transmax Z - Feedback required from testers

Mobil ATF 220 - Feedback required from testers

I recommend you stick with stock but in recent times this has been hard to get hold of, so it's the Esso now...

Interval = 2 Years / 30,000miles depending on use/power levels

And yeah, that's the right one :)

I bought 4 bottles and have two thirds of one left :)

Perfect thanks :).

No probs dude :)

The diff oil was easy to change and took 10 mins. The gearbox was a total bitch. I had to find a length of hose to attach to the bottle to fill it up, and it still look about an hour to get enough in as there's no room on the side of the gearbox the fill hole is on. The other side, there's miles of room. Good going Toyota! lol

Right in the end I went for the motul gear 300 for the diff oil and for the gearbox I went for the royal purple synchromax, on route to me by next week :).

I just serviced it with royal purple synchromax for the gear box as that was more recommended in supraforums, and put motul gear 300 in the diff.

Good stuff! Noticed any difference yet?

Here's a free tip. ALWAYS, ALWAYS *ALWAYS* take out the FILLER plug before you drain the oil. It is incredibly annoying to drain the oil then find you can't undo the filler plug for some reason.... Filling a diff or gearbox via the drain plug hole is quite challenging ;)

A young lad who used to work for me years ago drained a VW Golf gearbox, and unsure where the filler plug was undid a likely looking bolt on the front face of the gearbox, about 4 inches up. I have to admit it did look a likely candidate if you were too idle / cocky to look in the shop manual. Problem was it was the reverse gear selector fulcrum pivot pin, and as he pulled it out the fulcrum dropped into the bottom of the gearbox. To rectify it was a gearbox out, full gearbox strip down. He didn't get paid that week and used a manual most studiously after that :)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I consider any lubricant company that dyes its products purple to be gimmicky and ruled by an imaginative marketing department, rather than technicians. I usually follow what the race engine manufacturers currently recommend, and have very rarely had a lubrication problem. For road cars I think people get far too stressed over what brand oil to use, any major brand that meets the specs is fine by me, I buy on price.

I consider any lubricant company that dyes its products purple to be gimmicky and ruled by an imaginative marketing department, rather than technicians. I usually follow what the race engine manufacturers currently recommend, and have very rarely had a lubrication problem. For road cars I think people get far too stressed over what brand oil to use, any major brand that meets the specs is fine by me, I buy on price.

Thanks i think il order original Toyota stuff next month peace of mind :).