The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jays VW Corrado VR6 project

j_jza80

Before I start, I'd like to thank the contributors to my initial thread (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?304324-New-car-ideas) for helping me choose a Corrado over a MK2 Golf. :)

Anyways, I've ended up with this:

She's a 1994 VR6 in Blackberry metallic with black cloth interior. She's currently on just under 100k miles, and is generally in good order, though there are a few bits that will want attention over the coming weeks.

Current plans include a small sound system, a suspension upgrade/refresh, and an LSD.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, I've mostly been driving her. :D I did find time to fit a new stereo though, and Alpine CDE136BT, which I chose because it looks subtle, the illumination matches the factory dash, and has loads of up to date features, such as Parrot Bluetooth, USB, 3 pre outs, DAB etc.

(I'll change that picture for a better one as my phone was playing up, but you get the idea)

Just changing the headunit has vastly improved the sound quality over the previous Sony item.

- - - Updated - - -

Polmont you say... :blink:

Yes, why? :D

Great looking car. I really think you're on to something with the Corrado. I've always liked them but I'm not in the market for one (insufficient money and space, and probably time). Squat, muscular-looking. I remember reading about them in a well-thumbed Parkers Guide, whilst my peers were "reading" Razzle.

Lovely colour, and suits the car perfectly. I wonder if Giken do an LSD for it? Their LSD's in FWD cars are HIGHLY rated.

Good luck with it, looking forward to seeing any mods and reading reliability reports.

As per our email conversation, I may be interested in the Giken diff, depending on price. the wavetrac one is highly rated, maintenance free (apparently) and comes with a lifetime warranty. Regardless of the diff, I will certainly be paying a visit for the custom bilsteins we discussed. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered something for the car...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271476654211?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Another Corrado! :D This one is a 2.0 16v, which I've bought specifically for the extremely rare factory leather Recaro interior it has. The interior is worth £1k alone, I reckon by the time I've sold this car on, I'll have got the interior for free, and made a little money. :)

The new car also has aircon, which I'm going to try and transplant.

Spent a bit of time cleaning the 16v Recaro donor car today, and it's come up really well.

The bodywork is probably in better condition than my VR6! :D

She seems to run well, but produces a fair bit of white smoke when run for a while. It smells like fuel...

Of course, the first thing I checked was the oil cap, which had a little white residue:

Pretty certain that is just residue from being stood for a long time, as the white gunk that collects when the head gasket goes tends to be lump and much thicker.

Any ideas?

So, something good / bad happened today.

I went to the bodyshop to inquire about touching up the various marks around the bodywork etc. It was going to come to £800, as I would get a better finish by respraying the whole side. Anyways, I asked him about a full respray, which would come to £1500.

She's going in for a full respray on the 9th of June. :D

After a wheel refurb, she'll look brand new. So far I've spent £2650 on the car, £1000 on the donor car for the Recaros and aircon. So add the price of the respray in, £5150 for a blackberry VR6 with leather Recaros aircon, and brand new paint seems like a pretty good deal, and I'll get quite a bit back by selling the donor car. :)