The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help me fix my profile [tyres]

Guest RoxyTT

Guest RoxyTT

For a long time I've never quite felt I was happy with the look of my car, something didn't seem right. It's occurred to me that most likely I am noticing the profile doesn't match that of other Supras that I do like the look of. I believe the culprit is the front tyres. While they are 245/40 R17, they don't line up flush enough with the body work, they seem too indented even though I haven't any aggressive toe/camber.

Currently they look like this :

phpiXL84BAM.jpg

I want them to align more like this (not best picture but certainly closer to how I envision them).

IMG_2347.jpgTOYOTA-SUPRA-sports-cars-32659515-1024-683.jpg

Thing is, most people seem to run no wider than 245s up front, so what else is causing the protrusion? Spacers?

I was told never to use spacers on the front tyres, but is going 255 up front wise? That's as wide as my rears.

P.S. I appreciate that the move to wider rears and maybe a ride height/spoiler swap would also alter the perception, but I really feel the front tryes are the main variable here.

Edited by RoxyTT (see edit history)

Guest RoxyTT

Hi Hassan,

Thank you. I am reading http://www.rimstyle.com/pages/alloy_wheels_explained.html to better understand.

I suppose it's time to put the legendary Works Equip onto the wall and get some new rims.

EDIT: Like the look of those wheels on second pic with the grey car, anyone know them?

As said it's the offset (ET) and width of a wheel you need to concentrating on first mate.

You can use spacer's if you didn't want to get new rims but it would really depend on how much you needed to make up tbh.

People usually run a narrower profile on tyres to fit bigger wheels under arches or just prefer the "stretched" look.

Putting wider profile tyres than you already have won't solve your problem though... Personally I prefer a wider profile so it offers protection on my lips, but again that depends on what rims you're wanting to put on; width and ET and your reasons... Filling up the arch isn't one of them mate.

Most stock cars aren't designed with stance fanboy ideals in mind, so you've also got to consider the fact putting a lower profile on could interfere with your suspension and/or brakes... That's why upgrading the widths with offset in mind is your ideal solution.

If you really want to keep your rims you're going to need to work out the difference (with a correct tyre fitted) between the outside of wheel so it sits flush with the arch... Judging by the pics you're going to need a thick spacer, which as long as they have extended studs built in, are perfectly safe to use, however personally I wouldn't bother with that kind of difference tbh.

By the time you've mucked about you might have just been better selling them and putting the money towards a flush fitting rim imo.

Guest RoxyTT
As said it's the offset (ET) and width of a wheel you need to concentrating on first mate.

You can use spacer's if you didn't want to get new rims but it would really depend on how much you needed to make up tbh.

People usually run a narrower profile on tyres to fit bigger wheels under arches or just prefer the "stretched" look.

Putting wider profile tyres than you already have won't solve your problem though... Personally I prefer a wider profile so it offers protection on my lips, but again that depends on what rims you're wanting to put on; width and ET and your reasons... Filling up the arch isn't one of them mate.

Most stock cars aren't designed with stance fanboy ideals in mind, so you've also got to consider the fact putting a lower profile on could interfere with your suspension and/or brakes... That's why upgrading the widths with offset in mind is your ideal solution.

If you really want to keep your rims you're going to need to work out the difference (with a correct tyre fitted) between the outside of wheel so it sits flush with the arch... Judging by the pics you're going to need a thick spacer, which as long as they have extended studs built in, are perfectly safe to use, however personally I wouldn't bother with that kind of difference tbh.

By the time you've mucked about you might have just been better selling them and putting the money towards a flush fitting rim imo.

Ideally I'd rather not use spacers on the front though I do have them on the rears, and it would be time consuming/tedious to keep putting on different combinations. Then again, I still have to do some measurement so I know which wheel to buy. Hassan says he uses 20ET, seems quite a lot (or little)!

What I don't understand is why places list the offset as XX - XX. Aren't I looking for the offset of the wheel itself, not the offset range that it can work on?

If you are looking for wheels to fit the arches without rubbing (although this will depend on tyres fitted), the following sizes and offsets would be ideal.

Front 9" +35

Rear 10" +35

If you want to know what a comparable offset would be for different wheel widths use this offset calculator to compare against the sizes above.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Guest RoxyTT
If you are looking for wheels to fit the arches without rubbing (although this will depend on tyres fitted), the following sizes and offsets would be ideal.

Front 9" +35

Rear 10" +35

If you want to know what a comparable offset would be for different wheel widths use this offset calculator to compare against the sizes above.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Very helpful Nic and thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 month later...
Guest RoxyTT

In the meantime, I've sourced some extra lengthened TRD studs again and am planning to use a spacer to see what I think of the look.

Current wheels are Works Equip circa 1994/95? * attached picture.

Anyone remember the specs on these and have a suggestion of what size spacer I should start with?

SAM_0391.jpg

Spec will vary, they will have been available in different widths and offsets Roxy, the only way you'd be able to find out is by looking at the wheels themselves - they'll either be stamped on the back or will have stickers (which could be hidden by the tyres). Those wheels are lovely mate :cool: but if you want to fill your arches you'd need to also lower the car as they're 17's.

I'd rather fit the correct width tyre than have one that's too wide for the rim, find a tyre with a built in

rim protector band would be my advice or just stay away from the kerbs ;)

Spec will vary, they will have been available in different widths and offsets Roxy, the only way you'd be able to find out is by looking at the wheels themselves - they'll either be stamped on the back or will have stickers (which could be hidden by the tyres).

You can also measure the offset yourself as follows:

Lay the wheel & tyre on the ground (outside up) and measure the distance from the ground to the hub mounting face using a tape rule (DIM A).

Turn the wheel over (outside down) and measure the distance from the ground to the hub mounting face again (DIM B).

Subtract DIM B from DIM A and divide the answer by 2 to get the offset.

EG: DIM A = 167.5mm; DIM B = 97.5mm; DIM A - DIM B = 70mm; offset = 35mm