The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil overfull damage?

Guest Luke Wright

Guest Luke Wright

Hi everyone, I'm abit worried here.. I have a non turbo mkiv supra and its been off the road nearly 5 years and I decided to give it an oil and filter change Wednesday with some help from my mate, when I checked the oil the day after in the morning the oil was just a tad on the wire of the dipstick.. this point I started to worry.. we had put about 5.8 litres of oil in.. and I had done some research into how much was needed. I then moved the car backwards off the drive abit in order to clean some of the mess I had made the day before.. after about half an hour or so I then rechecked the dipstick and this time the oil was touching the end of the letter 'F'. After this I started to relax and thought that should be ok to start the car so I did.. and let it run for abit.. for a good 10, 15 minutes I'd say.. then this afternoon I checked my oil and it was back on the wire.. my question is has any damage been caused from me starting it? Would that level of oil made any difference? Could my crank have wipped the oil and made it too thick and made air bubbles in it? Many things i am worried about.. I'm quite worried and many people that know me know I worry alot over well nothing most of the time.. theres alot of work that needs doing to this car as it is and I would like to keep it forever really so.. any help would be very much appreciated.. Thankyou.

Hi Luke,

First thing to do is to get the oil level right. Obviously it's still got too much in, so address that first. Park it on very level ground and let about a litre out, then dip it and see what the dipstick shows and report back here.

Too much oil as you know is as bad as too little, but the good thing in this situation is that you have not put the motor under any real stress by the sounds of it if it, when you say it ran for 10 -15, was that just ticking over on the drive?

Guest Luke Wright

Hi Shane, and it was ticking over, and I did rev it a tiny bit because I thought I heard something.. I didn't rev it much I just thought it was shaking abit the car..

Hi Shane, and it was ticking over, and I did rev it a tiny bit because I thought I heard something.. I didn't rev it much I just thought it was shaking abit the car..

Ok well you need to work on getting the oil level right first and then assess any possible damage. I am guessing that there are no signs of oil spewing out of breathers, rocker covers etc?

so , youonly filledit to the f?

i allways run my tracki car about 1/4 again over the full to prevent fuel starvation in the bends. i wouldnt worry buddy. its probably droped back down because youvce filled the filter and oil galaries when its run. top it back up to full and enjoy

Guest Luke Wright
Ok well you need to work on getting the oil level right first and then assess any possible damage. I am guessing that there are no signs of oil spewing out of breathers, rocker covers etc?

Hi shane and no there wasn't any signs of leaks etc, but I will check again tomorrow when I drop some oil out..

Guest Luke Wright
I thought I had done this on an old car before so I got a basting syringe and a vacuum boost hose or washer jet pipe and simply extracted the excess through the dipstick tube, this only took a few mins to do and its an easier way than the obvious.

Never thought of that actually tom, where abouts could I get one from?

Guest Luke Wright

i allways run my tracki car about 1/4 again over the full to prevent fuel starvation in the bends. i wouldnt worry buddy. its probably droped back down because youvce filled the filter and oil galaries when its run. top it back up to full and enjoy

I checked the dipstick a couple of times and it was past the full, I then started the engine and waited half hour and checked it again and it was just over the 'F' then I checked this afternoon and it was past the full again.. on thr actual dipstick wire

Guest Luke Wright
i always think the supra dipsticks hard to read! should be a flat metal stick

Yeah they are.. I checked mine a variety of times and it was either quite abit over, or a little bit over.. that car does stress me out.. all I do is worry about it!

How does it affect fuel starvation ?

How does it affect fuel starvation ?

Craig obviously meant oil starvation when throwing it around on the track, hope he did anyhow ;)

I wouldn't even bother draining some out, it'll be fine.

I am sure Chris is right and it will be just fine, it sounds like it wasn't way overfilled from your description. For you own peace of mind just let a bit out and get it to show correct on the dipstick and see how you get on. Good luck with it, stop worrying too much and enjoy your car.

Guest Luke Wright

Righto! Well sorted out the problem now.. and it's no longer touching the wire thank god, its on the letter 'F' so.. alls good! Runs fine too so panic over I suppose.

Guest Luke Wright
I wouldn't even bother draining some out, it'll be fine.

Too late for that now lol, but anyways it stops me worrying, so yeah drained some out yesterday shane so I can relax lol