The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drifting Auto Drome Teeside

supra_ufo

Drifting the auto in an open space isnt to bad but in tight areas its not good, its nowt like a manual

Basically stick it in 1or 2 manu mode and boot it personally i dont think its worth doing in an auto do a trackday/rwyb day instead for either you will need an autobox cooler or two

I must not say horrible things as I need your photographic skills in the very near future. I will stay possative........

The car looks nice mate

;)

N/A= Not Applicable for a reason :D

Drifting the auto in an open space isnt to bad but in tight areas its not good, its nowt like a manual

Basically stick it in 1or 2 manu mode and boot it personally i dont think its worth doing in an auto do a trackday/rwyb day instead for either you will need an autobox cooler or two

Its more about learning to control the car though, if the back end went I know about opposite lock and all that but would probably end up in a bush

I've attended a few events down at Teeside, they're well run and good fun, but I'd have the following reservations about doing a drifting day:

1. You've got an auto, so have I and have spent a significant amount of time on circuits (and sideways), but I'd never wanted to drift it for a number of reasons. Firstly it's bloody difficult if you're a novice, secondly, every lap you'll probably have to stop for the Trans Oil to cool. Although Marcs brute force approach (:D) will work, I'd not be driving laps in L or 2.

2. Although well run and enjoyable, they never seem to be run under an MSA permit, look in to the details first, Re. insurances and should anything go pear shaped.

3. If it's car control you're after and learning to deal with the back end stepping out, you want it to go when you're not expecting it, so do a track day or one of their sprint events as I guarantee at some point it will step out when trying to drive the track quickly. This closer emulates what you do on the road.

On the flip side, if you want to have a great day of fun, waste some rubber, risk pranging it at every turn and annihilate your gearbox, then do the drift day.

Only my opinions, I normally stick an event thread on here if I'm doing an event down there, so I'll keep you posted if you fancy coming along.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I go up every time they have a drift day. I too have an auto so thats why I watch from spectators area :D

Unless you have loads of power I would think it'll be pretty difficult drifting at Teesside as theres not enough of a run up to get a good drift with an auto.

• 1 month later...

ive not been for a while but did use a NA manual on the drift days for a few years, its good fun but get a few tyres as spares as they seem to just disapear lol.... but nice to see a few supras down there as always bmw's and nissan's, The track is a good size so you can get some good sidewards action

I've not been there for years either but done a few sprints there inc. night sprints- those were a great experience!

The first part of the track is tight for a soop but to me that just adds to the fun. I never did it in a soop but from experience it will be like getting a concert steinway up a back stair case........ ;)

Couldn't comment on the drifty + autobox thing, but trackday / sprint wise it will be fun, guaranteed :) good luck!

I was on Teeside autodrome track yesterday and I really wouldnt advise putting an auto Supra on there unless your experienced in drifting an auto as the track itself has some tight turns and getting an auto to kick at exactly the right time looks difficult.