The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V8 Advice?!

Kendo11

Evening all,

I have PM'd a few very helpful members for advice but just wanted to open this up for further advice and opinion.

I have a 94 Manual NA 5spd.

I want to convert it to a V8.

I had this shared with me earlier on; http://forum.soarerunion.com/showthread.php/635-soarer-v8-engine-complete-with-loom-and-ecu

To make that fit into my Supra what would I need to do?

With it not coming with a gearbox I would need to presumably need to do the following;

Get a bellhouse conversion/modified clutch and flywheel?

Modified Propshaft?

Modified Exhaust?

What else am I missing?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Cheers

When you're tackling the electrical side of the swap, you'll need to convert the tachometer so it reads true (6 cyl uses every 3rd pulse so you need something from a 4 cyl to work) otherwise your rev counter will be way out.

You may want to alter your diff ratio. My swap was NA Auto to V8 retaining the Soarer auto box. Originally ran on the NA Auto diff which was great for acceleration but soon ran out of legs. I swapped for a TT auto diff in the end.

Make sure you get the engine mounts (the alloy part that bolts to the block) and consider factoring in some new rubber engine mounts as they usually fall apart when removed from the original car. Also make sure you have the correct igniters (later ones don't work on the earlier 1UZs), the correct airflow meter and the correct ECU for your injectors (unless you're ditching it all for a standalone system).

Soarers used a hydraulic cooling fan. I would advise you remove the Hydro pump from the block and replace it with an idler from an LS400. If you don't, the pump will eventually seize or rattle like a bag of spanners. I'd advise removal of the EGR - it's not necessary and means you can ditch a whole heap of vac lines and tidy the engine up :)

You can run with no cats but don't think that all the headers will fit - Soarer ones are fine but LS400 headers will not fit. You can get custom made that will flow better.

If you have a custom downpipe made up, you can mate it to the stock exhaust. I had all cats removed and had it coupled at the mid section to keep things factory type fit.

It is possible to convert to V8 spec without having loads of parts custom made. You'll probably find the right combination of Toyota/Lexus propshafts suitable for a straight bolt-on fit.

When it comes to MOT time, you'll need to supply a letter from yourself (that the tester can keep with his records) detailing the engine swap and stating the year the engine was manufactured. You'll also need to provide the same type of letter when you send the V5 away to have the engine details changed.

I never bothered with a manual box, but I believe the Celica ST205 GT4 clutch and flywheel have been used on 1UZ manual conversions. You should be able to find a conversion kit or you can get hold of a CNC pattern and take it to someone who can machine one for you.

Any other questions, give me a shout.

Oh, and make sure you don't get a so-called 'expert' to wire in the conversion. It's straight forward when it's kept neat and the plugs aren't hacked off randomly!

Edited by straightsix (see edit history)

I have a soarer v8 engine with the loom all done, it came out of a supra so should all work, the complete package may be available shortly.

This would be ideal for you and cut out a lot of hassle.

Straightsix, stunning help. If I could kiss you I would.

I'm not stopping you.....

:D

Yeah I thought exactly the same.

I was hoping for something more realistic due to them having seemingly been involved in the community.

I will keep asking around and try the chaps as above. Paul did already give me a very good price guide but to be honest Thor are nearest to me in little old Lincolnshire.