The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nitrous on an N/A .....Easy, safe, reliable ?????????

trebor69

You'll get sick and tired of buying gas, that's if the engine doesn't det and collapse the piston ring lands or worse before you get sick of buying costly gas :)

I used to have a display of dead pistons from when it was more popular, and people just couldn't resist "just trying a slightly bigger jet". There may also be insurance issues.

Engine will be fine if setup correctly, myself I'd only want to use it in conjunction with a standalone ecu to be sure of good fueling, although I wouldn't bother unless your NA is a 6speed and has a good clutch, you will destroy your drivetrain any more than 50 BHP jets I'm guessing.

You need good pressure for it to work correctly and that means using a bottle heater, a purge kit would be worth adding to clear the lines.

Honestly, a waste of time IMHO.

Well I having my na fitted with nos end of month, I have got nx kit with 15lb bottle, purge kit, bottle heater and progressive control and I will be using 75 shot. I believe like everything as long as it's set up correct and use it sensible it will be fine, I getting MGT to fit as they have alot of nos experience and speaking to them has put my mind at rest of damaging engine

Ha ha,

Well I guess my quest for Mo Farah is looking more and more like NA/T (the Whifbitz one being tried and tested).......lot of saving up for me that though :(

Thanks for your input people.

I've had nos on my NA for about 4 years now, I'm running 2 kits with a 100shot on my main one. I've had no problems with the engine or drive train. The refilling the bottle does get a bit annoying, as a 12lb bottle don't last long on a 100shot. Also having to wait 15min for it to warm up to get full pressure is a bit of a pain if you want to use it sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had nos on my NA for about 4 years now, I'm running 2 kits with a 100shot on my main one. I've had no problems with the engine or drive train. The refilling the bottle does get a bit annoying, as a 12lb bottle don't last long on a 100shot. Also having to wait 15min for it to warm up to get full pressure is a bit of a pain if you want to use it sooner.

Well, you'd have to be pretty damn dim not to, it's not exactly hard for any interested party to spot it after an accident. In a "big one" an insurance assessor would treat it as his birthday spotting a bottle and a none declaration. That's how bonuses are made ;) Perfect excuse not to pay out. Perfect way to find your life has suddenly changed if you have earnings or assets.

Not heard that Wez, but my past experiences with nitrous oxide have made me think it's 70% show (look at my big bottle...., popular film media, etcetera). I don't think it's practical for normal road usage. Fine for spooling a huge turbo off the line for drag racing, if that's your thing. Useless for a week on quiet roads, or a track day. In fact I think most or even all UK race tracks ban it anyway.

Imagine the damage a bottle coming loose in the cabin would do in the event of a crash!

Not as much as 15 tons of steel girders or box section on an artic trailer. But nonetheless not an experience one might wish. Reminds me of the "travellers" stealing gas bottles for the brass fittings. Took a full size oxygen bottle into the back of the ubiquitous Transit, from a cage of what they thought were empties. One guy attempts to smash the fitting off with a sledgehammer, succeeds, only for the bottle to missile out the back doors and take out his accomplice, rendering him very seriously injured. Ironically he came round with an oxygen mask on :)

NOS only became popular on the Supra because of the F&F films.

I regularly get asked at the track if my car is running NOS - only because its a Supra.

Of course I say no, it would be better suited to a drag car not a track car.

They then point at my Nitron remote adjusters and say yeah you are what are they then...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I regularly get asked at the track if my car is running NOS - only because its a Supra.

Ive had that too :lol:

They then point at my Nitron remote adjusters and say yeah you are what are they then...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh dear :lol: