The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AEM Infinity ECU Review

Gpro

Some of you may know I recently sold my Syvecs S6 ecu to get the new AEM Infinity, and a lot of people where calling me crazy but it was a gamble i was willing to take.

I am currently the first and only supra in the UK to be running the AEM Infinity and possibly the only car in the UK to be running an AEM Infinity to my knowledge.

I won't do a direct side by side comparison with syvecs as i ain't here to spark a fuse but I will mention a few important differences.

Key differences (Some features may not be relevant but i will mention them anyway)

Advantages for the AEM Infinity ecu

• Support for 2 knock sensors compare to 1
  • Support for 2 Wideband sensors compare to 1
  • 64GB of datalogging compared to 1mb
  • Datalog 100 channels at 1000hz (I believe its 10 channels with syvecs)
  • 0.0000001 second closed loop fuel resolution (Which i will discuss further)
  • Fastest ECU on the planet today
  • VE based fuel map (New OEM ECU's use)

The AEM Infinity also utilises your stock sensors i.e coolant temperature and stock wiring so installing a new map sensor, and a boost solenoid is a 5 minute job without needing to run wires through the firewall

I got the AEM Infinity 8 ecu from the US, it cost me £1700 all in which included the following

• AEM Infinity 8 ECU
  • Supra PNP Harness
  • Wideband lambda sensor
  • 5 Bar map sensor
  • Air temperature Intake sensor
  • Bosch knock sensor
  • 150PSI Fuel Pressure sensor
  • 12 Position switch

Warning: Please don't attempt this unless you know what you are doing. I strongly recommend setting up all the engine protection parameters before starting to tune.

When i installed it on the car it fired up straight away with a basemap supplied by AEM, I then when on to adjusting idle and managed to get it to idle very smoothly at 650rpm with stock cams and 1000cc injectors. The car drove like stock after 10 minutes of mapping.

I then configured the following

1. Enabled AFR protection to cut spark in the event of running too lean
  2. Adjusted my target AFR for different RPM and boost pressure
  3. Turned on closed loop lambda (25% -/+)

I then done the unimaginable, I done a WOP pull all the way to redline baring in mind i haven't touch the fuel map yet. I was incredibly amazed at how fast this ecu actually reacts! My target AFR and actual AFR was almost identical. I then looked back at the datalog and adjusted my VE fuel map to get the lambda feedback as close to 0 as possible.

I have attached a few images to demonstrate the aem infinitys knock control and lambda target vs actual lambda with a base fuel map.

Car spec

TT6

Stock engine including stock cams.

1000cc injector dynamics

Greddy intercooler

precision 6266 turbo .84 housing

etc

So far this ecu has been nothing but incredible and there is nothing I can see a syvecs doing better then this. Just to clarify yes the AEM can do flex fuel,4 wheel speed traction control etc.

I will be taking the car to a dyno soon and will be keeping this thread updated with more results.

On the datalog attached you can clearly see knock detected and the infinity reacting to it in miliseconds, also on the other datalog you can see how close actual lambda is in red to target lambda in green.

And to finish off, the syvecs is an incredible ecu no dout about that, But there is other great ecu's out there too and personally i can't see another ecu being better then the infinity (Price and performance) at the moment but that is my personal opinion everyone is entitled to there own.

http://aemforum.com/supra-infinity-afr.jpg

http://aemforum.com/supra-knock.jpg

http://aemforum.com/supra-tt6-aem-infinity.jpg

supra knock-1.jpg

supra infinity afr.jpg

supra tt6 infinity ecu.jpg

Edited by Gpro (see edit history)

Thanks for the review! I've heard great things about this ecu as well.

This is a good option for the people who don't want to use Syvecs or ProEfi.

Are there any Proefi users on this forum, can't recall if anyone is using it over here? Plenty of Syvecs though...

I would be really interested to see a comparison between Infinity/ProEfi/Syvecs/Maxxecu. The last one is very popular in Sweden.

Guest Budz86

Sounds like a good bit of kit that you are clearly very happy with. Glad you're getting good results with this and very interested to see the final ones. Slight difference is that you seem to be confident and able to map the car yourself, which is probably something most members wouldn't want to do. Old saying that still runs true is pick your mapper, discuss your requirements, budget and ultimate goals for the car and listen to their advice.

The syvecs is and a superb bit of kit no question, but I suspect that's also down to the fact thay most of the ones in this club have been mapped by Ryan!

Who cares if he paid or not. Just another option for us enthusiasts.

Not the case unfortunately. In order to advertise on the forum you have to apply for trader membership and pay the appropriate fee.

No issue with reviewing the product, as long as specific details of its origin/advertisement isn't included.

You're obviously pretty au fait with ecu's and mapping, and creating a pretty respectable array of logged data, are you in that line of work? I guess many here would struggle to write such a bullet pointed revue and show such nice data logs. Have you mapped many cars before the Supra?

Impressive specs, is this ECU a US market device, or is it available over here? Can you download demo software to play with? Will it run direct injection engines? Can you use a mapping box with knobs and buttons, or is it keyboard only? Cheers.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Sorry to be a bit dense, but is Gpro in America and running this FSR company? i am sure I read he said he got the ecu from the USA?

Anyway, AEM must still be using a version of the GEMS logging software, those logs are very VERY similar to those I get from my GEMS 1 gigabyte logger and their Data Analysis software. I am therefore wondering if the ecu itself has any GEMS heritage? Looks like it may have some attributes of the EM80 series.

Your compairing it with an S6 ecu when this AEM is equivilant to the S8

At least use the correct one if you want to compare

As you said the features aren't relevant to a supra

Twin knock sensors and twin wideband is for a v engine

Not doubting this is a good spec ecu for the money though.

An ecu is only as good as the mapper and support system so as long as the support is here in the UK then it should be good.

UK price on the AEM infinity 8 looks to be around £2600

Syvecs S8

Technical Specification

8 Ignition Coil outputs – IGBT (coil direct) or TTL (ignitior)

16 Fuel injector outputs or PWM

4 Half Bridge Outputs – DBW or Low Side Drive

24 general purpose inputs

2 Knock inputs – Upgradable to 4

2 NTK wide band Lambda interfaces

2 K-type thermocouple interfaces

100 MHz full duplex Ethernet for connection to PC for programming and data download

2 Can 2.0B interfaces

RS232 serial interface

6 to 26v input voltage range with reverse polarity protection

2 regulated 5V sensor supply outputs with protection

Software configurable sensor (5v to 12v) sensor supply output

Unregulated sensor supply output which tracks the ECU supply voltage

5 Separately protected sensor and communication ground inputs

4MB or 8MB memory

88 pin automotive connector

Anodised aluminium case

Edited by Lee P (see edit history)

Interesting review. That AFR against target is very impressive.

Did you use the learning function to get that along with closed loop? Or was it self mapped?

I would personally like to see a thread about this ECU rather than a Syvecs/AEM Battle.

MODS: Would it not makes sense to edit everyones posts so there is then no mention of becoming an importer anywhere?

To answer a few questions,

I am not trying to sell the ecu! why is everyone going on about it?

Anyway, AEM must still be using a version of the GEMS logging software, those logs are very VERY similar to those I get from my GEMS 1 gigabyte logger and their Data Analysis software. I am therefore wondering if the ecu itself has any GEMS heritage? Looks like it may have some attributes of the EM80 series.

The software i was using is AEMData which works with all the AEM products but the infinity is completely different to any other AEM ECU's.

I can't say 100% but i heard the AEM Infinity was manufactured by the same company that make OEM ECU's for nissan

Your compairing it with an S6 ecu when this AEM is equivilant to the S8

I am not comparing it to the S8, like i stated i purchased it for £1700 all in, if you would like to purchase it from the UK and pay £1000 more then thats your choice.

Impressive specs, is this ECU a US market device, or is it available over here? Can you download demo software to play with? Will it run direct injection engines? Can you use a mapping box with knobs and buttons, or is it keyboard only? Cheers.

It won't run direct injection just yet but AEM have told me its in the pipeline and will be a firmware upgrade in the near future.

Yes you can download InfinityTuner from AEM's website and have a play around with that.

Its only keyboard and mouse :D

I have only ever mapped my own cars previously using the useless emanage ultimate, but with tons of research and knowledge in ecu's engine tuning i am very confident in mapping my own cars and would like to possibly follow it as a career. My car as it stands is running about 550bhp but with a new fuel pump and clutch i will be trying to hit the 700hp mark (600rwhp)

As with everything results speak for them selfs

Did you use the learning function to get that along with closed loop? Or was it self mapped?

The AFR datalog was running directly from a basemap with closed loop on and fuel pressure sensor installed which allows the ecu to be a lot more accurate with fueling. (I set it to cut power if it runs leaner then 12.5 on boost)

AEM will be releasing new software in 2-3 weeks with the ability to auto tune the VE fuel map which can save mappers time.

Sorry to be a bit dense, but is Gpro in America and running this FSR company? i am sure I read he said he got the ecu from the USA?

I live in london and have no connections with FSR motorsports hence why i didn't mentioned it in the review

UK price on the AEM infinity 8 looks to be around £2600

And the S8 is £3000, whats your point?

If it cost £2600 then how did i get it for £1700 with all the sensors and harness?

Just as a side note. You can also do live datalogs which you can go back on and it will highlight which table the car was running in. I can try make a video to demonstrate what i mean if anyone is interested

http://www.aemelectronics.com/images/infinity/InfinityTuner-Log1.jpg

This is the Infinity Tuner software showing VE fuel map and Live datalogging without having to download the datalog from the ecu

But if you want to log at 1000hz then yes you will have to download it from the ecu.

To answer a few questions,

I am not trying to sell the ecu! why is everyone going on about it?

Probably from your original unedited post #3:

"FSR Motorsport, but i have recently become an AEM distributor myself"

If you've just become an AEM distro yourself and then you pop up here 'helpfully' saying how great this new flagship product is, with a skewed comparison to a different tier Syvecs unit, well... people aren't as dense on here as you seem to think, they can put 2 and 2 together.

I have only ever mapped my own cars previously using the useless emanage ultimate

Guess you aren't a distro for GReddy then ;) My self-mapped EMU is running fine and going strong tens of thousands of miles later btw. How odd my self-mapped one isn't useless.

-Ian

Guest Nicholas

Good write up and info on the AEM but I'd much sooner be looking at Ryan sat in front of a laptop spending time carefully making sure every parameter of the tune is correct than gunning it to the red line with no tune completed.

Probably from your original unedited post #3:

If you've just become an AEM distro yourself and then you pop up here 'helpfully' saying how great this new flagship product is, with a skewed comparison to a different tier Syvecs unit, well... people aren't as dense on here as you seem to think, they can put 2 and 2 together.

Guess you aren't a distro for GReddy then ;) My self-mapped EMU is running fine and going strong tens of thousands of miles later btw. How odd my self-mapped one isn't useless.

-Ian

Yes i am an AEM Distributor but i am not trying to sell anything hence why i didn't mension it in the original write up.

I have no interest in selling on this forum hence why i haven't applied for a traders license or whatever you call it, before i wrote the article. The article is just plain facts nothing more nothing less.

And comparing an EMU to a standalone is a bit stupid ,you don't have half the features a standalone can do or the protection.

So yes the EMU is useless when compared to a full standalone ecu

Good write up and info on the AEM but I'd much sooner be looking at Ryan sat in front of a laptop spending time carefully making sure every parameter of the tune is correct than gunning it to the red line with no tune completed.

Yes i agree hence why i stated don't attempt this unless you know what you are doing :)

Also looks like this article really got to some people, i only wrote this article as there is hardly any information online on the aem infinity and not a lot of people in the UK know it exists.

Also looks like this article really got to some people, i only wrote this article as there is hardly any information online on the aem infinity and not a lot of people in the UK know it exists.

I am glad that you wrote the article, I think on this forum it is easy to get tunneled vision into believing syvecs is the only choice for standalone management, I was only discussing this the other day with another member and we both said there were others before syvecs and people ran then fine and their engines didnt blow up.

I think there are a few ECUs that are in the £1000 - £2000 price range with mapping on top, like there is more then one person who can map a supra or any other car so that it runs fine. If I was in the market for an ECU I wouldnt be using Ryan, he seems like a very busy man with people waiting/queuing to get some mapping time with him, i would want someone who is a little more available.

I am glad that you wrote the article, I think on this forum it is easy to get tunneled vision into believing syvecs is the only choice for standalone management, I was only discussing this the other day with another member and we both said there were others before syvecs and people ran then fine and their engines didnt blow up.

I think there are a few ECUs that are in the £1000 - £2000 price range with mapping on top, like there is more then one person who can map a supra or any other car so that it runs fine. If I was in the market for an ECU I wouldnt be using Ryan, he seems like a very busy man with people waiting/queuing to get some mapping time with him, i would want someone who is a little more available.

Pretty much what I was thinking when lurking on this forum. People even use Syvecs on bpu cars (huge waste of $$$ at those powerlevels).

There are plenty of other options out there which are very good as well, this includes piggybacks. 99% of the people who use a standalone don't need one.

Very interested in how the infinity treats you in the long run. Like you said, there isn't a lot of info out there, however at the largest supracommunity you can find some (SF.com) and they all seem to like it.

Pretty much what I was thinking when lurking on this forum. People even use Syvecs on bpu cars (huge waste of $$$ at those powerlevels).

There are plenty of other options out there which are very good as well, this includes piggybacks. 99% of the people who use a standalone don't need one.

Very interested in how the infinity treats you in the long run. Like you said, there isn't a lot of info out there, however at the largest supracommunity you can find some (SF.com) and they all seem to like it.

Not true at all, it falls into the same catergory as tyres and brakes. It's there to save you when things go pear shaped something people value more highly than something that's cheaper, this is not to say you can get something not as good for cheaper or something that you believe is sufficient for peace of mind. Plus people get as a base to go single in the future rather buying something twice.