The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on rear tyre choice

steve.m

Okay so I'm about to purchase some new rear tyres and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. I only have the choice of two due to the size, 315/35/17.

1. Toyo R888's

2. Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA

Now I've always used the R888's as their very good for dry traction but are utterly useless in the cold/wet. I don't usually take the car out much in the wet but that's generally because the tyres are useless not because the car will melt. :D I've not used the Vred's before and have heard mostly good things about them but not from anybody running 800+ BHP. I'm not sure how much dry traction, if any I'll potentially be losing over the R888's or If they will be any better in the cold/wet.

So, what would you do? or are there people running the Vred's that can give their opinion on them?

Edited by steve.m (see edit history)

I have no idea how good the Vreds are with 800Hp. At BPU levels they have good a good compromise between dry and wet traction. I imagine the toyos are immense in the dry but useless in the wet. The Vreds will probably give you 90% of the dry grip but be 90% better in the wet if that makes sense Steve.

H.

Yeah pain ordering abroad, tbh I think I'd stay r888's mate, Could be an expensive mistake if the vredestein don't grip.

Yeah that was exactly my original thought.

I have no idea how good the Vreds are with 800Hp. At BPU levels they have good a good compromise between dry and wet traction. I imagine the toyos are immense in the dry but useless in the wet. The Vreds will probably give you 90% of the dry grip but be 90% better in the wet if that makes sense Steve.

H.

Makes perfect sense mate. I think at the end of the day I've got to weigh up if I'd rather the immense dry grip or sacrifice some of that for better wet grip.

Guest Budz86

Have you got the TC setup on the syvecs mate? I'd be sticking with the 888's if so as lets face it, when are you ever going to nail 800hp in the wet? lol

But then there was this....

attachment.php?attachmentid=171155&d=1371326857

Edit: BTW, thanks for posting the link to your build thread...I've just spent the last 2 hours reading through it and I'm only on page 53!

Edited by Budz86 (see edit history)

Have you got the TC setup on the syvecs mate? I'd be sticking with the 888's if so as lets face it, when are you ever going to nail 800hp in the wet? lol

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=171155&d=1371326857

Edit: BTW, thanks for posting the link to your build thread...I've just spent the last 2 hours reading through it and I'm only on page 53!

That was one hairy drive lol, Jamie will tell you as he was on 888's as well. :D

No traction control. To be honest it grips really well with the set up on the car as it is so I've never really felt the need for it. I've always found it hinders more than it helps but I suppose it might be an idea to have for wet conditions.

Glad your enjoying the build thread. It's certainly had some work done since landing in the UK. :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=171155&d=1371326857

That was one freak rain storm and some worried faces too. It didn't help me "happy clapping" past Burna and Pig at 80mph, no hands on the wheel. Mrs H went bananas..!!

One consideration is how much do you drive it in the rain and are you going to be pushing it in those conditions. I imagine the answer is not a lot and no. In which case maybe the Toyos are the answer or another equally grippy tyre.

H.

Personally, having had experience of such a setup, I'd use the same on front and rear. Doing otherwise makes it quite unpredictable.

:yeahthat:

What are are currently running on the front?

If you have more grip up front the back will be more likely to step out and with less grip up front you will end up pushing the front wide, when your playing with 800hp I would say balance is key, you dont want any nasty mishaps :D

Well I've pulled the trigger on the R888's again as It's better the devil you know an all that.

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbs:

Personally, having had experience of such a setup, I'd use the same on front and rear. Doing otherwise makes it quite unpredictable. The Vreds I had on my car when I sold it were brilliant. I'd never use R888s again on a road car though.

:yeahthat:

What are are currently running on the front?

If you have more grip up front the back will be more likely to step out and with less grip up front you will end up pushing the front wide, when your playing with 800hp I would say balance is key, you dont want any nasty mishaps :D

I totally agree having the same front and rear would be best but my fronts are BF Goodrich from the US and still have loads of meat on them so I've been reluctant to change them just yet. To be honest the tyre set up I have seems to work fine, other than 888's get a little unpredictable in the wet, not sure I want that on the front also.

Once I've gone through these 888's I'll look into it again and maybe try and match front and rears with something different. I just wish there was more choice in my size.

Well I've pulled the trigger on the R888's again as It's better the devil you know an all that.

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbs:

I totally agree having the same front and rear would be best but my fronts are BF Goodrich from the US and still have loads of meat on them so I've been reluctant to change them just yet. To be honest the tyre set up I have seems to work fine, other than 888's get a little unpredictable in the wet, not sure I want that on the front also.

Once I've gone through these 888's I'll look into it again and maybe try and match front and rears with something different. I just wish there was more choice in my size.

Good luck waiting for the fronts to catch up Steve. I have had a set of Falkens from when I got the car in 2010. Gone through nearly two sets of rears in 11K miles. the fronts still have 6mm of tread. Like Wez says, the fact that I have Vreds on the back means the car understeers in the wet if you push it. Would not be a good combination, especially with double the power I have....lol..!!