The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help - Which springs are front & rear??

Elmo

I bought these lowering springs off a club member yesterday, but I'm unsure which are fronts and which are rears?

springs 2.jpg

I think the springs on the left are fronts as they are the heaviest and are thicker, I just need confirmation.

Thanks!

You may well find those "clatter" or knock as the closely wound coils contact one another over bumps.

They look like drift springs and will go from firm to rock hard over very little suspension travel.

hmmmm, the clattering thing does make sense, I never thought about that, I just thought they looked progressive like David said.

I don't think they're drift springs though, I've been told these drop a TT by 35mm which I don't think would be enough on a drift car.

I guess there's only one way to find out what they're like, if they're a nightmare I'll just get some others.

The reason I believe they will have too high a rate in normal usage is they will presumably have some pre load on them when fitted, further closing the already very small gaps between the closely wound coils. A bit of roll will then close those solid, leaving far less than halve the total spring turns working effectively. The rate will then go through the roof. The rears would probably make a good choice if you were towing a big trailer :)

35mm lower on a MKIV brings the bump stops into play a lot of the time. I can't recall how many destroyed bump rubbers I see on MKIV's due to excessive lowering. A car riding the bump rubbers is NOT a car that is handling correctly or well.

Anti clatter buffers on stock Tein lowering springs. If they need them on that sort of coil spacing I would say they will be needed on yours. Trouble is there's so small a gap inter coils adding thick enough tubing to take the beating will make that section of the coil spring almost solid by filling the gaps entirely :( Hope LeeP doesn't mind me borrowing the photo!

Try `em :) No big deal if they have to come off. If you have stock top mounts any noise should be fairly attenuated. If you have spherical bearing top mounts they MIGHT be bloody noisy. Let us know how you find them, I have only seen one set with coils that tight, on a Skyline, and that was on solid top mounts and sounded like someone was hammering in the boot :) You will never know until you give `em a go though. As with any suspension change assume it will handle like a dog until proven otherwise. That philosophy has saved me from a ditch or worse many times :)

Send Jurgen a pm mate I never drove the car with these on I just saw the car on import and said to Jurgen I would prefer he fitted the stock VVTI springs.

I remember they had front and rear wrote on them like the HKS units but it looks like somebody has painted them since I sold them.

• 2 months later...