The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some helpful advice needed.

TRD-Rob

Ok so I'm thinking of starting a new project soon and I'm going to be going the tt6 aero route,I have a tt6 hardtop and what to move it all over to a aero shell,I have three options which I will put below and would just like people opinions as I'm not 100% sure which way to go.

1) ive been offered a tt6 shell but it's a cat d

2) buy a cheap na aero and move it all over

3) hold on for a tt aero shell

Thanks for any feed back.

Depends what the cat D is for.

I personally don't think cat d is a bad thing for buying as you may get it cheaper.

But if it is a cat d for something minor then why should it affect the cost?

My mates brand speaking new car was an insurance write off with only 32 miles on the clock due to some idiot or covered the car in brake fluid.

Depends what the cat D is for.

I personally don't think cat d is a bad thing for buying as you may get it cheaper.

But if it is a cat d for something minor then why should it affect the cost?

My mates brand speaking new car was an insurance write off with only 32 miles on the clock due to some idiot or covered the car in brake fluid.

The cat d will just be a rolling shell so won't cost much but it's just coz it's a cat d that puts me off a tad.not sure what damage was done to make it a cat d in the first place tho.

Would a car that started off as a na aero but is now a 6-speed aero put you off more or less then a cat d car ?

I'd be more worried about the fact it had accident damage and out of the two would pick a NA aero that is turned into a 6 speed than a Cat D one.

Also why the Aero route again may I ask mate when you sold your old one?

For me, a conversion is a conversion. Be it a tt aero shell or a na aero shell, it won't be any different than an na-tt.

If you have a complete tt6 then the only thing that would be different is the shell in theory.

Things like na-tt6 conversions imo only bother those who are after something they may re-sell, as a genuine tt6 is worth a bit more.

The fact that there never was a factory tt6 aerotop, means in theory, no one would care if it was na-tt or an auto-manual conversion.

Life would be easier if you got hold of a tt aero, simply due to the reduced amount of work needed, but that all depends on you.

Personally, if someone offered me a tt6 aerotop, I wouldn't care how it started life.

I'd be more worried about the fact it had accident damage and out of the two would pick a NA aero that is turned into a 6 speed than a Cat D one.

Also why the Aero route again may I ask mate when you sold your old one?

Couldn't be dealing with the hole wide wheels,kit anymore plus had some family matters that I needed the money to sort out,my last one wasn't really my project I kind of took it on and even tho this will be a slow project it will at least be my own one :)

Problem is people's idea of a Cat D is...

The reality could be...

Personally I find it quite odd people are so worried about cars having Cat C\D titles, in the hundreds of cars I have looked at you'd be shocked the amount which have had repair done and some of it quite big repairs but nothing comes up on HPI.

Though on that note, for for NA shell for the sake of re-sale.

Edited by Abz (see edit history)

Couldn't be dealing with the hole wide wheels,kit anymore plus had some family matters that I needed the money to sort out,my last one wasn't really my project I kind of took it on and even tho this will be a slow project it will at least be my own one :)

Fair enough mate, good luck to you with this one, hope you got everything sorted family wise now etc :)

Me personally, if I was to buy a C / D cat shell, I'd keep a record of condition when it was purchased and some photos of the build up to put any potential buyer's mind at rest when, at a later date, you might be thinking of letting the car go. There are cars out there that have been heavily knocked, but damage was never recorded, there are cars that have been lightly damaged but due to complexity or value, written off and then there are serious cases (as per the Corsa posted above), where a cat C / D is appropriate. Unfortunately, most people's idea / perception of a cat record is the last example...

Would a car that started off as a na aero but is now a 6-speed aero put you off more or less then a cat d car ?

Good question.

They would both put me off.

A TT auto to 6 speed aero top would be the only thing I would consider (if that exists).

I used to work in accident repair so cat d wouldnt bother me but I think joe public would prefer a conversion over something that was recorded as a cat d.

Conversion would not affect value as much as cat d IMO