The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Interior Panel Refurbish

Jellybean

Hey

Was thinking of refurbishing the interior Panels , Gear surround, Radio Fascia , tacho dial area

Was searching on here but I have not come across any threads to use as a guide

• What is involved for prep, they have a rubber type coating on them , sand them with a 1200 grit first?
  • Clean with white spirits ?
  • Do you need a plastic primer after?

Paint I was thinking VHT Hood, Bumper & Trim

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/hoodbumpertrimpaint/

Pre-facelift had the rubber coating as far as I know. I've just ordered a flocking kit for mine off Frost's :)

I am pre-facelift Jim, I just want OEM look but my panels have what looks like water marks in it , try wipe or clean it with anything and it just goes all patchy in places

The rubber coating is a nightmare to keep clean

The best way to remove the rubber coating is with meths/white spirit and a plastic scrapper, it just peels off and leaves the plastic finish underneath.

If you want a smooth hard wearing finish I'd get the panels water transfer printed.

thanks Nic, will look into the water transfer

Hopefully you can get a satin black or OEM type finish

thanks Nic, will look into the water transfer

Hopefully you can get a satin black or OEM type finish

Water transfer printing gives a very high gloss finish, if you want a satin finish you're probably better spraying them.

Some pics here of water transfer printed panels, there are loads of effects or plain finishes/colours available http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?207241-Hydro-Imaging&p=2638387&viewfull=1#post2638387

Would you not consider having them flocked or wrapped in suede? Gives a nice modern look i think.

Flocked and suede doesnt suit the interior in my opinion , doesnt match the Vinyl Leather or the rest of the dash; looks out of place

OEM looks the best in my opinion, clean and simple

Get some MVP Billet dial rings to replace the Toyota plastic chrome ones

Strangely my dash was sprayed gun metal grey.... Over body filler and some sort of rock hard resin when I got it, unfortunately I can't find any pictures to show you the state it was in, but it was bad, clumps of the stuff all around the double din hole, paint cracked and peeling, but, a bit of work and a few cans of ford currant red and even more lacquer......image

I've got my of road bikes wheels done in plastidip.... Make sure you key it up

First and use plastidip primer. You can't get this in a can you can only paint it on.

Edit looks like you have already done it!

thanks, that pic is off supra forums , nobody mentioned priming it , they just cleaned and sprayed

thanks, that pic is off supra forums , nobody mentioned priming it , they just cleaned and sprayed

I've plastidipped lots of things and I learned always prime. It not only will stick better but will be a lot more scratch proof.

Also remember it's impossible to get a glossy flat finish with it, it's obviously Matt but far from smooth