The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVT-i oil feed ?

Suprash

Ok, so it seems I have totally over looked something quite major here and Im not sure how this is best to go about it now :rolleyes:

In preparing the my GE block to be used as a GTE, I have totally over looked the VVT-i factor. On a GE block is looks like this oil boss on the block is a smaller hole and is used for a oil pressure switch, from reading other forum posts the oil pressure switch moves to the oil filter bracket on GTE's, but what is normally in that position if the GTE is a non-VVT-i ?

As I need the VVT-i, my boss on the block is now too small to use the stock banjo and hard pipe oil line ?

Im really unsure which way I should go on this, should I get a new boss drilled and tapped bigger ? Or should I use a small banjo and maybe some aftermarket oil line, Im worried about going that route in case the feed is a lot more restrictive :(

Does anyone know any ideas/solutions around this or maybe they have read a thread somewhere on this issue :innocent:

Thanks all :)

Found some more info :( How, oh how have I over looked this lol

"Na/t guys like to go off of the banjo bolt at the oil filter housing. I personally don't think it's a good idea to have a small 1.0 taper thread or 1/8" bsp or whatever the thread pitch is feeding so many important things (pressure sensor, ocv, and turbo) there are other avenues. But it's a *****. Machining is not cheap. And a tee off the filter housing has worked for others, just something I've avoided in putting together some of these things.

Read more: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/707892-2jzge-vvti-head-swap-on-2jzge-non-vvti.html#ixzz2wxoxV0PV"

I am having to do this on a none VVTi block to VVTi head, I will try and remember to take photos when I decide how to engineer it.

Ha, at the moment, the only option I have with a half built block is to run a oil feed off the pressure switch like on my NA-T for the turbo oil feed. Im just pretty pissed as I have gone to all this effort to drill and tap oil galleys and bosses on a GE block so that I can essentially keep it a true stock TT to the point I can use stock oil feed lines, I dont like the length of the oil feed to my turbo on my NA-T which must be 2-3 feet in length as it has to run over the top of the block, which is why I was working so hard with this block to make it a true GTE, which I've still not now done ! :D

It's not as straightforward as just drilling and tapping the existing 1/8 NPT hole oversize. The banjo bolt and banjo needs a machined flat surface at exactly 90 degrees to the thread. The casting is just raw on the early none VVTi blocks. I have read of late none VVTi blocks being factory machined and bored for the VVTi pipe here, and they apparently use a reducer for the oil switch in none VVTi applications. But I have never seen one myself. It would need doing on a milling machine and securing the block would be time consuming and tricky unless you had a really big angle plate. You could use the 1/8 hole and also drill and tap the through bolt for the oil filter assembly. I am awaiting a stock VVTi pipe and fittings, then I'll decide what approach to take. The VVTi assembly won't use much volume of flow, so doesn't need huge pipe sizes. The pressure switch needs hardly any real internal pipe diameter, as it doesn't flow as such, just looks at pressure change.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

What I have here is one banjo bolt (NOTE I said BOLT, not the banjo itself...), with nothing inside it, and one with a one way valve inside it with a circa 3mm restrictor. I have ordered a new one with the filter in, but the guy says what's come has nothing in it either, maybve they deleted that, or the parts lists are wrong (not unusual). I would say you need a none return valve though.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, have you had chance to look into this anymore ? I have had a stab at the MKII atempt lol. So, my local hydraulic shop said that there is no small/slim one way valve for oil, everything is generally water/air. The one type they did stock, is quite chunky and again Im not totally convinced by its application. He said its rated to 5bar, do we have any idea what sort of pressure/if any, this one way valve could expect back from the VVT-i ?

The size is more aesthetically disappointing, but as long as the function is ok, but what worries me is the internals are plastic ?

But anyway, I have had the pipe remade with this chunky one way valve midway and to keep the banjo style bolt on the head using the oem internal filter, they suggested cutting the pipe and using a compression fitting.

I forgot to take a picture, I'll try and get one up soon :)