The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No boost from 2nd turbo

Tsia

Hi guys,

Recently had a turbo rebuild and now my car won't boost past 0.7 bar or so and once it's up to pressure, it simply drops off down to about 0.4 bar at higher RPMs. From what I can gather, the second turbo simply isn't coming on, so an inspection brought up this:

...is something supposed to be there? If so, where does it go?

Cheers guys :D

Edited by Tsia (see edit history)

Tried it in TTC mode?

I attempted to do this and I couldn't find half of the things he has labelled in this guide : http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/andy.htm

But I'll go out and have another try now I've calmed down a bit. Not going to lie, I'm furious right now. Just spent £1500+ getting the turbos repaired and it's far worse now than it was when it went away :mad:

Renamed thread a bit more appropriately.

Right, I think I've done it right (not that I really understood what I was doing) and the car feels exactly the same. This leads me to believe either I've done it wrong or the 2nd turbo still isn't moving.

It is notably louder, though. :|

I'm assuming you have a boost gauge. Do you still see the boost dropping at high rpm? because if it is in TTC it shouldn't now go up to .7 and then back to .4 later... Don't give up, it might just be an easy fix.

Try understanding the way the system works and what ttc does. Then drive, and see/feel what happens.

It does the exact same thing. It boosts to 0.84 bar peak, then drops from there down to around 0.4-0.5 bar. :(

In short, I've run out of money. This car has cleaned me out for everything I had just to buy it and get it repaired 2 weeks after I bought it, so it has to go really.

Theres only 2 things (other than a shot number 2 turbo) that would stop it boosting, the EGV is seized closed/the actuator isn't working or the pre spool valve is seized/actuator isn't opening. Both those items control the flow of air into and out of the turbo. TTC mode effectively sets both those valves to open so I would say your problem lies there.

Try and see if you can move both valves by hand. And chin up, it can be very frustrating fixing cars :/

Right, I think I've done it right (not that I really understood what I was doing) and the car feels exactly the same. This leads me to believe either I've done it wrong or the 2nd turbo still isn't moving.

It is notably louder, though. :|

Hi, I had a similar problem some months ago. Turned out the VSV wasn't working 100%

TTC -

TTC 1.jpg

TTC 2.jpg

Guest Budz86

Sticky egcv would be my guess.

Don't sell up Matt! This may take a little bit of testing to figures out what the problem is, but you'll get there quite quickly with help from this thread! These cars aren't without their problems, but once they are in full working order, very little comes close to the grin factor! It'll all be worth it in the end, just try and get to the bottom of this before making any rash decisions :)

Sticky egcv would be my guess.

Don't sell up Matt! This may take a little bit of testing to figures out what the problem is, but you'll get there quite quickly with help from this thread! These cars aren't without their problems, but once they are in full working order, very little comes close to the grin factor! It'll all be worth it in the end, just try and get to the bottom of this before making any rash decisions :)

I said before it went away for the repair "If something goes wrong, anything, within the first month after I get it back, it's going!" and I'm sort of holding myself to that :p

The mechanic assures me it was boosting happily to a stable 1.2 bar when it left the garage, so it sounds like something, somewhere has popped off. The boost controller, despite being plumbed in correctly, does not yield any changes in boost pressure no matter what the settings are. At least I've got something to go on now! (Only just got the text back)

That said, the first thing I checked was all the vac hoses...

If you're unsure whether it's deffo in ttc mode, follow this little guide :)

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/andy.htm

Done that, same results! :(

Guest Budz86

Promises are made to be broken! :D

Little strange you aren't seeing any changing when adjusting the BC; which one you running? Don't suppose your garage could supply a dyno print of the results once they finished with her?

Promises are made to be broken! :D

Little strange you aren't seeing any changing when adjusting the BC; which one you running? Don't suppose your garage could supply a dyno print of the results once they finished with her?

They didn't run it on a dyno. I'm running that DSBC from yours :)

Must be someone up your way that could lend you a hand. :thumbs: Take a step back. have a bear. and try and think if you mist something. I would be in exactly the same place as you mate. I no budz was thinking he had blown a turbo. And after talking and adi help they found he had just blown a bung out of a vac pipe.

Hmm, might I ask which pipe that was?

Edit:

Going to get a beer and drink away my grumpy-ness from today. Then, I'll start afresh trying to fix it tomorrow. If I don't have any luck, I'll see about getting it back to the garage ASAP, although I shouldn't waste another penny on it. My main trouble is if I sold it, I'd never find something as fast, fun and comfortable as the Supra for anywhere near the same money :(