The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust hanger advice

Elmo

Hi,

I’m after a little bit of help with a small l problem I have with my exhaust.

I have a 3” catback exhaust (both cats are in place), however the only support for the exhaust is from the hanger on the silencer, and because of this the exhaust is able to move quite a bit, which causes the seal to go regularly where the from 1st cat joins the 2nd.

What I want to do is add another support further along the exhaust to prevent excess movement/twisting. I have tried fixing a 3” exhaust clamp which will attach to a hanger but the clamp rattles on the pipe, does anyone know of something that can be used as is or modified which will support the exhaust while allowing a small amount of flexibility?

Thanks.

Have you got the gearbox to cat bracket fitted ? I just had to get mine on the ramps on Wednesday as I have double decat and aftermarket exhaust, it was knocking in 3 places because of the movement your on about. I had to adjust the gearbox bracket that goes onto the cat pipe which pulled it away from the underneath of the car. Also I added some extra rubbers to the midsection which prevented it moving onto my rear bumper. The bracket that is there for catching the prop shaft incase it falls was also a issue just adjusted that a little.

Edited by shaz2010 (see edit history)

Have you got the gearbox to cat bracket fitted ? I just had to get mine on the ramps on Wednesday as I have double decat and aftermarket exhaust, it was knocking in 3 places because of the movement your on about. I had to adjust the gearbox bracket that goes onto the cat pipe which pulled it away from the underneath of the car. Also I added some extra rubbers to the midsection which prevented it moving onto my rear bumper. The bracket that is there for catching the prop shaft incase it falls was also a issue just adjusted that a little.

No, I think the bracket has broken off at some point, there is nothing supporting the exhaust except the hanger on the silencer. The exhaust isn't knocking or anything, but overtime the movement is putting stress on the only fixed point which is the flange on the first cat, every few months it starts blowing.

Can you weld a bracket on, as the Nur Spec R has a hanger that fixes in the stock position half way down the exaust on the passenger side?

I know a guy who has a workshop and I occasionally use his ramp, he has welding equipment but he told me he is unable to weld to stainless, think he has the wrong type of welder.

You need a AC DC tig welder,,,there are a few places that do custom ss exhausts in Telford, give one a bell and ask them,they'll help you out, i did have the number but lost it, long life or powerflow

Try this place

MR TYRE Units 5&6 Sundorne Trade Park

Featherbed Lane

Shrewsbury

United Kingdom

SY1 4NS TEL: 01743 491607 Email: [email protected] VIEW MAP >>

Edited by shaky (see edit history)

You need a AC DC tig welder,,,there are a few places that do custom ss exhausts in Telford, give one a bell and ask them,they'll help you out, i did have the number but lost it, long life or powerflow

Try this place

MR TYRE Units 5&6 Sundorne Trade Park

Featherbed Lane

Shrewsbury

United Kingdom

SY1 4NS TEL: 01743 491607 Email: [email protected] VIEW MAP >>

Thanks for that.

There was a Powerflow Exhaust place in Telford but it recently closed down.

Featherbed Lane is only 15 mins away, I'll give them a try. Cheers

The place in Shrewsbury is listed as a Powerflow dealer,,,http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk/dealer-locator/

Longlife...add...Oswestry

Address BM Wizard

Unit at the Waen

Knockin

Town Oswestry

County Shropshire

Postcode SY10 8HR

CONTACT DETAILS

Manager Kevin

Telephone 01691 749023

Email [email protected]

OPENING HOURS

Mon - Fri

Sat

Sun

Edited by shaky (see edit history)

The Telford lot did a job for me once, my tailpipe was slightly too short causing the paint to bubble on the bumper, they chopped the tail pipe off and welded in a small section of S/S to extend it slightly, problem solved but they did charge about £70 for the Privilege.

No, I think the bracket has broken off at some point, there is nothing supporting the exhaust except the hanger on the silencer. The exhaust isn't knocking or anything, but overtime the movement is putting stress on the only fixed point which is the flange on the first cat, every few months it starts blowing.

If It was me i would order the gearbox bracket from Toyota and get it on mate the first cat will be taking all the weight of the exhaust.