The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to buy steering wheel HUB for aftermarket wheel?

msupra1

I have a 1997 RZ-S that came with the standard bulky airbag steering wheel.

I bought a 'momo boss hub' and didn't work as it couldn't clear the part that has the airbag plug.

So it looks like I need some type of hub that's made specifically to clear a factory airbag supra and that's more roomy on the inside.. anyone know where I can get one of these?

It's for my Sparco wheel.

I'm also in Canada but have no issues buying elsewhere if that's my only option.

Edited by msupra1 (see edit history)

I bought mine from Driftworks. They're based in Birmingham, but I'm sure they would post abroad.

I paid about £55 from memory, but that was for an HKB boss for a Supra with cruise control and an airbag.

I had a lot of trouble with one I bought as it had no hole at all for a connector to go through, but the HKB one fitted perfectly :)

I just bought the HKB before you replied from Driftworks! I got the one without cruise control as I don't have it.

On your dashboard do you still get the airbag warning light? or do I still have to remove that? I figured with the airbag boss kit, it will trick the car into thinking it has an airbag in place, so the light should go off and the passenger airbag should function?

I'm not too sure. The airbag was disabled when I bought the car and I assume the bulb has been removed as I don't recall seeing it. If it is there it doesn't come up when the engine is on.

I'll check for you in a bit if one comes up at all :)

So anyways, the airbag light is least of my concerns. I'm just having a hard time getting a proper hub to fit a wheel to begin with.

The HKB hub I bought from driftworks.. does not fit.

The diameter on the bottom surface, it's too large, so it hits the top part for airbag socket.

One of the last hubs I had, which I sold with my previous steering wheel, I remember the diameter of the bottom surface being rather small, it was just metal and it cleared the top socket part just fine.

This is the one I got from driftworks,

Supra JZA80 Airbag w/o warning lamp - OT-163

http://www.driftworks.com/hkb-steering-wheel-boss-hub-nissan-honda-toyota-mazda-mitsubishi-subaru.html

This is a 1997 RZ-S, it has the factory Camry style bulky steering wheel.

So not sure which one I need now? I will contact driftworks.

this is how it originally looks (I cut the airbag plug a while ago)

Edited by msupra1 (see edit history)

My currency is double what pounds is, so it wasn't exactly the cheapest to begin with :( .. paid express shipping as well.

I already paid driftworks, so I'm hoping they can exchange for one that fits. Otherwise I will need look into this second option.

Yep sent them a message,

I don't have cruise control, but I'm thinking that the cruise control one should be able to work for me, as it did for you?

I'd have thought so. I should have got a picture of mine before I fitted it.

I did lots of research at the time, but can't remember much now lol