The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Halo Headlight Refurb Pre-facelift/Facelift

Noz

Ok I'm doing a mini thread for updating my headlights. I've asked the question about changing over parts from different pre-facelift and facelift lights. I wanted to just include a log of the differences, as well as showing what can be done if you've got the time and effort.

I'm also installing the indicator unit into the headlight as well as having side lights from the halo. This is an all in one unit requiring no other lights for MoT.

First, split the lights. This is easy. Can find the info anywhere on countless threads, 80° for ten minutes. A little longer won't hurt. A little hotter probably will, so keep the temp low.

The halo's were originally installed into the headlights by BlueAngel. Now I've done more custom work myself, opening up these bad boys has shown me the guy was a bit lazy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=182360

I have a spare facelift headlight. So aside from needing more parts from offside headlight, the nearside has had parts changed over.

attachment.php?attachmentid=182361

attachment.php?attachmentid=182362

All the beam units are interchangeable from facelift and pre-facelift; main beam, dipped beam, fog light

IS IT WORTH IT? Actually, yes it is. But not for the fog lens. The unit's themselves are the same. Though the castings have different numbers. The lens and reflectors are what you want here. The Main beam is the obvious one, refreshing the front view.

attachment.php?attachmentid=182363

attachment.php?attachmentid=182364

attachment.php?attachmentid=182365

Pre-facelift vs Facelift dipped lens.

attachment.php?attachmentid=182366

The dipped beam HAS A DIFFERENT LENS. At a glance, it's not obvious. Close up, hugely. I've swapped the main beam unit and the dipped lens. Straight swap here guys!

I've rewired the whole loom to the light. The wire length was poor, and it was a mix between Mr Toyota and BlueAngel's handy work, nightmare. I've re-done the damaged wires and given myself new lengths to play with. Blue Angel had install the Halo wires through the side light lens adapter in the back of the headlight, he chopped the side light stalk's that insert into the light in half! With some spare bits from carbon_bullet I've been able to simply change the side light pod and re-wire the headlight for this as an indicator.

I'm repainting the insert. I'm going to go for a matt finish. It's something different to my current gloss. I've given the cover a good polish, but going to need some G3 or/and 12 before they really shine.

I didn't actually have a side light pod in the lights, so this has made them look a little different also.

attachment.php?attachmentid=182367

I've put the near side back together just to see how the new facelift components look. I used the worn insert and Halo's I haven't yet removed for a paint, just to put it all together and see how the facelift items look like. Hoping the finished product will look awesome, and much better than the tired headlights they once were.

attachment.php?attachmentid=182368

attachment.php?attachmentid=182369

I'll keep on this weekend and try and get them back together and working. Looking forward to seeing them back on the car!

If anyone has some clear headlight lenses the would be great!

20140320_101425.jpg

20140320_103808.jpg

20140320_103818.jpg

20140320_120203.jpg

20140320_120413.jpg

20140320_115852.jpg

20140320_120113.jpg

20140320_122754.jpg

20140320_122722.jpg

20140320_122731.jpg

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

They look pretty good, get some shots up with the lights working so we cna see the indicators/ reflectors although with the indicator being within the unit how will it be a side repeator?

Would look even better with some abflug inserts ;)

Looks good mate great work.

Quick question, are you going to be removing ALL the silicone residue from the glass/plastic to the body and use all new silicone to seal them?

Or re-heat and re-use?

I've already cleaned up the lens on one side. Yes I'll completely remove all of it and re do it myself. I'd like to get these buggers sealed properly.

Re-heating and re-using means your likely to get gaps. It's also likely to get some gunk on the inside of an insert when putting back together. Just scrap it out, and pour fresh in there. I'm going to try black silicon. And something a bit more robust for the halo's.