The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is the NA really that bad?

Guest acid667

Guest acid667

After debating between a MR2 Turbo, a celica GT4 and a Supra I've finaly decided that it has to be the supra!

Cost is definately an issue for me at the moment so the NA is quite tempting.

A few people have voiced that they didn't think it was worth getting a supra if it wasn't the turbo model. What do you guys think. Either way I'll definately being joining the supra gang soon :flame Dev

My only worry is that I will have to park it on the road! That is a worrying thought!:(

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you're after. If you want a Supra because of what it looks like or for the attention it gets then I guess a NA would be OK.

They're very reliable because they're pretty much the same engine as the TT but less stressed.

I think if most NA owners were being honest they would tell you that they wish they'd paid the extra and bought a TT, or waited longer until they found a TT that had the same features that their NA has.

Most of us TT owners are hungry for more power, being a NA owner must be very frustrating.

You can get a TT for what, seven grand? How much are you thinking of spending?

Guest acid667

Ideally I wouldn't spend more than £5500 which I've seen many NAs for though I know that I could stretch out to £7000 - £7500.

I must admit although my budget doesn't say so I do like to have power at the wheels :devil:

The look of the car is an obvious factor too but ideally it'd be the full package.

I was thinking of maybe getting a NA and upgrading in a while when I have a bigger budget.

A lot to think about.:music:

I bought an NA and it's great! Sure nowhere near as fast as a TT, but it's still faster than 99% of things on the road. And it looks great.

Mine was a conscious decision to buy an NA. They are cheaper and I really wanted a manual box, which seem to be harder to find for the TT.

My car is my everyday driver so it had to be a bit more "sensible"!!!! The fuel economy is a bit better (26-30MPG) - not that it's really relevant with a car like this.

In truth, as wel,l I didn't really trust my self with 320bhp, as I hadn't driven RWD before.

For me it was the right thing to do. The car is fantastic and handles really well, but I am still learning to drive it properly!

The NA gives a few benefits:

- It is a SUPRA!!

- It handles well

- You have more choice

- You can either have a cheaper or better car for your money

But:-

- You might long for the extra 100bhp after a while

- If you're into tuning the TT gives you more options

You need to ask yourself what you want it for. The NA is a great, practical GT car, but if want to tweak the thing probably best go for the TT.

I don't think its particularly economic to mod your NA to get TT performance. I guess it's around £3-4k for a single turbo conversion, or you could swap the engine for £2-3k?

Originally posted by peter richards

hi jake m8 , i feel a lead to the search button coming on

:D

Dan, in case you weren't aware, the NA is often dearer to insure that a TT. We think it's because insureres realise that all NA are imports whereas some TTs are not. TBH we don't understand it ourselves but some folks have found that an import TT is cheaper to insure than a NA

You might also find our FAQ section useful :

The mkiv Supra Owners Club > Technical > mkiv Technical > mkiv FAQs

Originally posted by weinelm

I really wanted a manual box, which seem to be harder to find for the TT.

They are rarer but the auto is bloody good. Did you try an Auto TT? Please don't give us any of that "Proper fast cars aren't auto" etc etc stuff.

The fuel economy is a bit better (26-30MPG)
:eek: A bit? That's loads better than the 18 - 20 I get from my TT !

Originally posted by weinelm

I did try an AUTO

I just wanted a manual. Dunno why really.

Fair enough then mate. I never wanted an auto either but I drove a manual TT and an auto TT back to back and the auto just seemed easier to live with. Also, with 300+bhp I feel safer with both hand on the wheel. :D

Oh yeah, the huge price difference is nice as well :p

Guest acid667

Thanks guys this is helping a lot. I'm soon to turn 23 - still a baby but by no means a young boy racer who wants a supra because he'll look cool to his mates in i! :p

I have 4 years no claims and got a quote of £820 for a TT fully comp but I couldn't get a quote for a NA (online) that must be down to this insurance anomily...anomoly... you know.

Either way it will be my everyday car so it's nice to know that you can get 25 - 30 mpg from a NA i'm sure the TT would be quite a bit less though your obviously getting more car.

This is going to be harder than I though :conf:

It's nice to know that there 's such a helpful group here though! Makes me even more convinced that the Supe is definately the car for me.....or shall I get a skyline :stickpoke

Guest acid667

That was for an import.

I know my budget isn't really the best which is why it might have to be the NA for now.

That could be a wise place to start considering the power. Jumping from a normal street car to a 300+ bhp might not be best advisable.

In terms of top speed I wouldn't be worried that the NA topped out at 150 as I can't see me needing to do more than that anyway - I like my license :)

What kind of price should I be looking at paying fo r either jap/UK TT/NA cars?

Thanks again

Dan

You have to wonder why we're not all fast asleep right now really don't you?

Faye's NA is:

a) A complete bugger to even find an ins company that will quote

b) No more economical than my TT

c) Twice the price to insure than my TT despite my iffy driving history and her immaculate one

d) Damn good fun and faster down a twisty country lane than mine

e) Bloody loud when decatted, but was totally silent stock

Originally posted by acid667

I have 4 years no claims and got a quote of £820 for a TT fully comp but I couldn't get a quote for a NA (online) that must be down to this insurance anomily...anomoly... you know.

WTF!!! Who where?

I'm on £1500 with THE ONLY company that would insure me on a j-spec TT6!!! And believe me I asked EVERYONE!!!

I'm 23 with 6 years NCB!! Park on the drive with NO recorded street crime in my area (road's only 6 years old!!). Surely a decat and bodykit can't add THAT much to the cost?

Hello Dan welcome to the site :)

Ive got an NA, Had it a year and a half and im still happy with it. Not one thing has gone wrong with it (touch wood :)). Despite what some people are saying i dont regret buying mine at all. The plan from the start was to get an NA then get a TT. This is my first RWD car and i didnt want to start off with more power than i could handle. Not slow by any means tho :) Will be selling mine come the new year to get a TT.