The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cat 1 alarm

mac79

Afraid I can't help with which alarm, but as a point of interest, when I was insuring my new supra I wasn't sure whether the alarm was Thatcham approved (cat 1) or not, so to be sure I got the quote based on it not having a cat 1 alarm. I rang back the next day after doing a bit of research on the alarm to confirm that it was cat 1 expecting this to make a decent difference in the premium but it didn't - I was quite shocked to learn that the alarm being cat 1 saved me a grand total of £4 lol.

Having a cat 1 alarm is only good if your car is stolen.

Without it, an insurer may not pay out.

If you don't have a cat 1 alarm, I'd be reading your terms and conditions to find out if you are actually covered for theft, because most of the time you are not, hence why the insurance company asks for the certificate

I have a new supra coming from japan, i have been told it will have to have a cat 1 alarm fitted for my insurance but being as every car i have ever had has come with a a certified alarm can anybody recomend one?

Thanks

Mac

My import came with an Scorpion alarm fitted which was a Cat 2 listed alarm/immobiliser fitment. Never had a problem with insurance. Its a good transponder immobiliser that requires the fob to be in close proximity to the ignition to work. Never had a problem with the unit in my 16 years of ownership.

They do Cat 1 listed alarms also.

http://www.scorpionauto.com/home/productsearch/vehicle-security?search=alarm