The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is this noise?

scott87

Clutch pedal?

It doesnt sound like the clutch pedal. Its really difficult to identify. It seems to only be from a standing start. Will only do it if i try and ease away slowly but doesnt seem to change noise if i accidently make the car judder (competition clutch) so im inclined to think its not the clutch plate. It also doesn't sound anything like any release bearing noise ive heard before.

Wouldn't that be a noise under loads of scenarios?

My calliper was sticking and is being replaced but it just seems odd to not make the noise at other times.

I had it on my previous Supra where it would only make the noise sometimes when pulling away or when parking at times. All depends I guess how bad a state it is in.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well the noise is still there.

If i pull away briskly it isnt there, if i ride off just the clutch it is only there sometimes. If i try and crawl on the biting point that is when its at its worst. It also seems to be a little less obvious when the car isnt cold.

Im certain it isn't the brakes or anything else as if i quickly blip the clutch pedal back in the squeak stops.

I can't watch the video on my phone but it sounds like the same problem me and berg are having? At its worst when slowly accelerating through the biting point. We are both using the spec stage 3, I put it down to the release bearing not being upto the job so planned on fitting a oem one but I believe the compition clutch needs to be installed with the oem release bearing so I guess I'm way off! What flywheel do you have? Could it be that it needs resurfacing??

Sorry not much help, I'm just clutching at straws! but if you ever find out what it is please let me know its driving me mad it sounds awful!!

I can't watch the video on my phone but it sounds like the same problem me and berg are having? At its worst when slowly accelerating through the biting point. We are both using the spec stage 3, I put it down to the release bearing not being upto the job so planned on fitting a oem one but I believe the compition clutch needs to be installed with the oem release bearing so I guess I'm way off! What flywheel do you have? Could it be that it needs resurfacing??

Sorry not much help, I'm just clutching at straws! but if you ever find out what it is please let me know its driving me mad it sounds awful!!

Its the stock flywheel. It feels really nice to drive and if i try to drive without the noise thats when the clutch judders. If i just think to hell with it and drive how it feels right the clutch is great but that noise is there.

The oem release bearing is needed as the competition one doesnt fit. I have the spec 4 clutch. I assume that it is something i am going to have to live with. Im guessing the way the puc style clutch presses apposed to the oem one it is either wearing it differently or something maybe? Im not sure but this has covered a few miles in my car so i cant call it bedded in at all.

I had a competition puk style ceramic clutch and it was awful under normal driving, made a lot of noises just like the one you have and would judder violently ecspically in reverse that was a nightmare. When giving the car the beans it was great no noise no slipping just gripped all day long, great on the track totally useless on the road.

Sounds typically like worn out cerrametallic clutch plate to me. They are race clutches and not designed to be slipped, totally unsuitable for daily driving, IMO. Does it also judder?

The clutch is great for road use. Its lighter than the oem na one imo.

It only judders if i dont put enough revs down or reverse without any revs at all, other than that its completely normal.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a competition puk style ceramic clutch and it was awful under normal driving, made a lot of noises just like the one you have and would judder violently ecspically in reverse that was a nightmare. When giving the car the beans it was great no noise no slipping just gripped all day long, great on the track totally useless on the road.

See mine is really nice uncer normal driving so im not sure that this is the same problem. Im beginning to wonder if my na clutch was already uprated as i really havent noticed to great a deal difference.

It could need replacing maybe. But my money would still be on the puk clutch chewing the face off of the flywheel:)

I do only have a stock flywheel, but then again so do a fair few people running puk clutches. Although there is more than just me with this weird noise now....

i have now been informed that this is completely normal. It is the material that the clutch is made out of that is the "issue". It is not the flywheel being eaten. The noise should only be present in 1st and revers. No other gears. If it is then there is something else wrong.

I guess i will just live with the noise.

Once i get rid of the rattle from my intercooler pipe and the dash rattle i'll only have that annoying squeak to put up with!

If it were a plain phosphor bronze bush used as a spigot bearing I might agree, but ball race ones very rarely squawk even when the lubricant has dried out.

yeah had the exact same noise on a landrover with a bronze bush.