The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible problem with rear calipers or pads?

1JZGTE

Hi chaps, I looked at the rear of my Soarer today (it's not quite a Supra, but :innocent: ) and noticed that whilst the front discs were totally rust free, on the rears, there is a band of rust.

I'm wondering why this is? Is the rear caliper not working properly? Is the break pad too small? Something else I could have missed?

Is this normal? Am I the only one with this issue?

Any advice appreciated.

:)

I only ever used stock discs and pads in over 15 yrs of owning my UK spec TT's

and never felt the need for using anything else.

Have your calipers ever been looked at to see if they're working correctly, when was the brake

fluid last changed

What brakes do you have on the car ?

Grooved front discs and EBC Redstuff pads is what I have on the car. I'm going to take some pics and put them up but will also visit a garage to get input as the brakes are really scarying me.

1JZGTE, sorry to highjack your thread with my issue.

I only ever used stock discs and pads in over 15 yrs of owning my UK spec TT's

and never felt the need for using anything else.

Have your calipers ever been looked at to see if they're working correctly, when was the brake

fluid last changed

What brakes do you have on the car ?

Is it the same on both sides of the car, nsr and osr and on both sides of the discs ?

If so perhaps the wrong pads have been fitted

Hi chap, yes, its pretty much same on both sides. Pads are Endless pads, came as spares with the car so I just bunged them on when servicing.

Your suggestion that it is pad size is quite logical actually...

I haven't done a fluid change in about 4 years as the car is rarely used, I might do that and see if it will help?

Grooved front discs and EBC Redstuff pads is what I have on the car. I'm going to take some pics and put them up but will also visit a garage to get input as the brakes are really scarying me.

1JZGTE, sorry to highjack your thread with my issue.

The first thing to do is check the system for leaks then check the calipers are not

seizing up, this is a common problem now especially on the sliding carrier type.

Could even be a master cylinder problem

If the calipers are seizing up you have 2 options replace them or refurbish them, there

are a few companies now doing refurbishment on them for very sensible price and if

money is a tad tight that is what i'd do.

Or you could buy brand new at a much greater cost

Then i'd do a brake fluid change which is pretty cheap to do and at the same

time i'd replace the old brake hoses for braided lines

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Hi chap, yes, its pretty much same on both sides. Pads are Endless pads, came as spares with the car so I just bunged them on when servicing.

Your suggestion that it is pad size is quite logical actually...

I haven't done a fluid change in about 4 years as the car is rarely used, I might do that and see if it will help?

Well it certainly doesn't look like the pads are covering as much of the disc as i'd have thought

they would so that's the first thing to check.

I don't suppose you still have the old pads to compare the new ones too ? or get some one

on here to measure theirs for you

A fluid change can't hurt for sure and doesn't cost much if you use DOT 5.1

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Well it certainly doesn't look like the pads are covering as much of the disc as i'd have thought

they would so that's the first thing to check.

I don't suppose you still have the old pads to compare the new ones too ? or get some one

on here to measure theirs for you

A fluid change can't hurt for sure and doesn't cost much if you use DOT 5.1

What I will do is see if I can get an OEM replacement pad spec from someone like Mintex or Ferodo and look at their spec sheet. The spec sheets usually show sizes and I can then compare this to the pad I have in there currently.

Thanks very much, those are the Mintex MDB1710 pads, available from eBay for £25 delivered, so I may as well just get those and bung them on. The rear discs don't have any lip, so should be fine (usually I replace discs and pads same time, but the rears seem to have little wear).

I had/have that band round the rear disc. My car just failed mot on seized rear calipers ,so over the weekend I refurbished them and put new seal kit and Toyota pads, pads from Steve Manley ,seal kit from Chris Wilson .

Interesting - would I hear any rubbing if they were seized? If I jack the car up at the rear and spin the wheels by hand, if they don't spin easy, does that suggest a stuck / clamped piston or not necessarily?

You got a lot of pitting on the disc, a thin scrape going all round, and used pads. If I were you Id invest in new oem discs, correct pads and if your a little 'thinged' like me, shims for the pads to.

or

Skim the discs, get new pads.

Have just replaced my discs and pads today as they looked like your's but it was in no way a caliper problem, sliders and pistons all in perfect working order, the pads were wearing away more on the rust band than on the actual bit of disc that they were in contact with as they should be .....been like that for a while and worked ok but looked wrong. pads were correct size too.

You got a lot of pitting on the disc, a thin scrape going all round, and used pads. If I were you Id invest in new oem discs, correct pads and if your a little 'thinged' like me, shims for the pads to.

or

Skim the discs, get new pads.

I don't have anywhere to skim the discs...I might just add new pads and take it for a brisk drive. I'm guessing the pads will chew up the light rust on the disks? Thew discs have seen under 1k miles as the car is barely used, with no lip...

- - - Updated - - -

Looks to me like the pads are too small?

Possibly buddy, I will take the pads out at the weekend and compare to an OEM replacement from Mintex. :)

Ive just done my fronts, I have some used rear and front discs of a N/A supra, id recommend skimming the rears to get them all nice and perfect and fronts arnt bad, can have them for £40 as they are useable...and much better than yours :D

I had a NSF caliper seize solid on Thursday last week. Took it off at the weekend and it was in an awful state!

Decided to remove and check all calipers over the weekend and they were all screwed! Out of the 6 pistons around the car, only one was free. And all the sliders were stiff!

Sent the calipers off to these guys today for full re-manufacture: http://www.brake-caliper-painting.com Strip / blast / paint / rebuild with new parts and send back to me is £231 for all 4.

I've also bought new Toyota discs and pads all round as well as Goodrich braided hoses and DOT 5.1 fluid.

All told, £595. Not cheap but I'm hoping to see a great improvement in the brakes as they've not been great at all in the ~ 3 months I've owned the car.

My rears were in a similar state to yours. Take a look at these pads. Both came out of the NSR caliper. Ones is almost dead and BADLY lipped, the other almost new!

Looking at the disc, the inner face is where the badly worn pad was. The shiny bit is recessed around 3-4mm. Not good at all!

To be honest, I'm feeling lucky that the brakes hadn't failed all together! You can see fluid had been misting around the seal in the first photo.

The previous owner had recently had the pads changed too! Makes you wander about the competence of the 'mechanic' who fitted them!

Edited by Si_s Supe (see edit history)

I had a NSF caliper seize solid on Thursday last week. Took it off at the weekend and it was in an awful state!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/19/aqezeguj.jpg

Decided to remove and check all calipers over the weekend and they were all screwed! Out of the 6 pistons around the car, only one was free. And all the sliders were stiff!

Sent the calipers off to these guys today for full re-manufacture: http://www.brake-caliper-painting.com Strip / blast / paint / rebuild with new parts and send back to me is £231 for all 4.

I've also bought new Toyota discs and pads all round as well as Goodrich braided hoses and DOT 5.1 fluid.

All told, £595. Not cheap but I'm hoping to see a great improvement in the brakes as they've not been great at all in the ~ 3 months I've owned the car.

My rears were in a similar state to yours. Take a look at these pads. Both came out of the NSR caliper. Ones is almost dead and BADLY lipped, the other almost new!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/19/5ysuseqy.jpg

Looking at the disc, the inner face is where the badly worn pad was. The shiny bit is recessed around 3-4mm. Not good at all!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/19/ahuza2u7.jpg

To be honest, I'm feeling lucky that the brakes hadn't failed all together! You can see fluid had been misting around the seal in the first photo.

The previous owner had recently had the pads changed too! Makes you wander about the competence of the 'mechanic' who fitted them!

Would like to see the calipers finished if you don't mind putting pictures up. What colour are you going for.

Yea, no problem. I should have them back early next week so will post photos when I do.

I'm going for 'Option 2' which includes a basic satin black coating warrantied for two years. You can upgrade to 'Option 3' which gives a high end, high gloss finish in a colour of your choice which is warrantied for four years.

The black suits me so no point paying the extra. I also have some proper Supra brake decals which I'll apply when they're back and perhaps put a HT satin lacquer over the top to seal them in.