The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnd-mkiv Supra build

johnd-mkiv

Didn't expect to be doing this again but cant seem to let the supra go from cars ive owned over the years, think this is now my 6th supra :blink: always regretted selling my first supra but for financial reasons I had no options but to sell.

This car as many on the forum will know was Terminators old car, couldn't resist it due to its spec and the work gone into the car!! after selling up my cars I done the deal with Dude :)

full spec is as follows

Engine Specifications:

Virtual Works Racing High Compression 9.5:1 1000+HP Race engine

New block

New crank

Clevite bearings

ARP Mains

Carr Bolts

Carillo H Beam Rods

Custom JE 0.040 over Pistons/Rings 9.5:1Compresion Ratio

HKS 1.8mm head gasket

ARP head bolts

Engine balanced to 9000rpm / 8750rpm limited

HKS Thermostatic Oil cooler with custom filter relocation

Titan Motor sports dampened bottom pulley (ATI)

Gates micro V belt

New head

Ferrea 1mm OS valves

Dual Ferrea valve springs

Ferrea locators

Ferrea locks

Ferrea Ti retainers

Ported and gas flowed

HKS 280 cams

Fidanza adjustable cam pulleys

Kevlar belt

Polished covers

Custom breather system

Turbocharger & Induction:

Customised ITS GT74DBB X trim Polished

Blitz LM 3 row inter-cooler

Jun (clone) plenum - port matched

Bespoke short route IC pipes

AEM washable air filter

90mm Q45 Throttle Body

Fuel, Tuning & ECU:

AEM ECU

Seimens 850cc Injectors

BL 17.4mm fuel rail, end feeds, center return

Twin fuel pumps bespoke system

Bespoke -8 and -6 fuel lines Speedflow fittings

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator & Gauge

Areomotive fuel filter

Greddy Boost Solenoid

HKS Turbo timer

AEM Peak and Hold driver

Custom Loom

Cooling:

Fluidyne aluminium radiator

Custom flexible ducting

Stock viscous van

Air con

Fluidyne Power assisted steering fluid cooler.

HKS wing mounted oil cooler, flexible ducting

Custom coolant dual reservoir system

Exhaust:

HKS Stainless steel heat coated tubular manifold

Tial 60mm external waste gate

65mtm waste gate - re-entry to exhaust

Wrapped and heat coated down pipe by PHR

V band clamps

Bespoke one piece exhaust system using BL ultra light stainless plus boxes below

Borla XR1 race stainless silencer X 2

Burns ultra light race back box

Drivetrain:

Getrag V160 six speed

OS Giken

Virtual Works NHRA Drive Shaft Loop

Auto LSD - For improved acceleration

Weight Reduction & Transfer:

Boot race battery, switched remote battery charging circuit.

Space saver removed

Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes:

Bilsteins & Ebachs

K Sport 8 pot 356mm / UK two pot + Endless pads

Brake Master Cylinder stabiliser bracket

Goodridge stainless steel brake lines

AME Modelart Deep dish 3 piece with 255/40/18 front, 295/35/18 rear

Interior & ICE:

TRD 10000 RPM Tacho

TRD Customised 240MPH Speedo

Healtech Speedohealer(Dual settings for different tire sizes) GPS calibrated speed recall

Greddy twin guage pillar pod

Greddy EGT P/H warning gauge

Greddy Boost P/H warning gauge

Triple gauge dash extension pod

Greddy Oil pressure P/H warning gauge

Greddy Oil temperature P/H warning gauge

AEM AFR Gauge

Momo/TRD quick release steering wheel

Retrimmed Leather seats Black/Grey(centre panels)

Momo Gear knob

Alpine head unit

Infinity Fronts

Focal Rears

Sony amp

Focal Sub

Exterior:

Toyota Skirts and Flares

Paul Whiffin front lip

Fogs, Hi & Lo beam 6500K HID's

Face lift customised front indicators

Clear side indicators

My plans with the car is not going to be to most peoples taste but each to their own :cool: I will be doing the following to it over the next few months.

Doluck front bumper, trial rear, trd spoiler

Doluck double six wheels, possible veilside over arches blended in due to wheel offsets

strip to rolling shel then full respray black

engine bay tidy up, fuse box relocate, wire tuck, Air con removed, mirror polishing,

custom expansion and breather tanks

larger injectors, syvecs engine management

apexi el series 2 gauges

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so the big strip down has started :blink:

Im going to de clutter the engine bay as much as possible, the fuse box is crammed up with the powersteering tank making it all look untidy so im going to cut and relocate the fusebox to the boot, wire tuck as much as I can, fabricate a new power steering resovoir with aeroquip fittings, remove any unused brackets and weld up all the holes, fabricate a new breather box with -12 fittings welded to the cambox covers, have the intake and throttle body polished along with other parts.

Doluck front bumper picked up from Baldy, built up around the headlights to reduce the gaps and bonded in new fixings

picked up a trail rear and trd spoiler, had to do some more work with the trail rear for a better fit

Edited by johnd-mkiv (see edit history)

New wheels arrived from Norway :cool: since owning my first supra I fell in love with these wheels, when they come up forsale I couldn't resist, due to the wide offsets it meant a lot more work but no more girlfriend means ive got the spare time :D

I bought some veilside over arches and some Genuine veilside skirts as I was unsure of how much the arches was going to be flared (wheels were being shipped over at time) when the wheels arrived and test fitted I realised they would need the over arch kit bonded on and as much as I like the oem skirts I didn't want to try bonding them to fibre glass, so opted for the fiberglass veilside.

I cut and flared the arches and fabricated them until the contour matched the over arch and cleared the wheels. I took the suspension out and used a jack to raise and lower the car to make sure the wheels cleared and the car looked right

my intentions was to not bond the trail rear on with the kit, I was going to bond the rest of the arch to the bumper and have it removable still, but after several tea breaks and looking at it decided blended looked best! The over arches I had were massive wanted to try and achieve a more subtle look with the over arch blended in to make it look like it was just the arch flared, ive tapered them back into the car, to me gives the car a better stance and not so aggressive.

The only bit im not sure about at this stage is where the intake on the skirt meets the wheel arch, thinking of panelling it in to make it a bit more subtle, or it may be a case of all the different colours throwing me off :(

after 4 days of prepping wheels on wheels off, jacking the car up and down :rolleyes: the kits on and layered with fiberglass :eyebrows:

Going to start work on the inner arches now sealing them up and fabricating some mounts so the inner wheel arches fit, soon be off to Dave (SupraLoopy) for a respray

Edited by johnd-mkiv (see edit history)

Subscribed

Can you do a favour to everyone and take a few posts for your own so you can put all the photo's at the start so we done miss any going through. Knowing you, there will be lots!

Only bad call IMO is Air Con remove...care to reconsider? Speak to Jamie, he removed it on his red one and regretted it.

• 3 weeks later...

Subscribed - sounds like a serious project and I'm glad you're doing something different with the looks. I'd agree with comments above though, I think you'll miss the aircon. Why remove it? You won't notice any power gains that can't be overcome by closing the windows... The only reason I can think of is when saving every last KG for a race car, but surely then your list of parts would be very different.

Have to agree I never use the aircon, for that one week of sun we may get its not worth keeping, id rather lose a bit of weight from the car and have a better flow of air through to the radiator.

I have updated the first few posts with photos its coming along :)

started work on the engine bay this week, degreased everything and welded up all the holes that will no longer be needed

removed the whole aircon unit, bit daunting once the dash is out:blink: aircon hole in the bulk head now welded up and smoothed over air box sealed.

the bonnet has gas struts with horrible mounting brackets, desided to cut and blend them into the original hinges

Now the cars had the final fiberglass work done on the outside, I jacked it up removed all the wheels and fiberglassed the over arches to the wings from inside the wheel arch to prevent and damp and water getting in, once I get the car back from dave ill underseal the whole car!! fiberglassing overhead was a nasty job :thumbdown:

its ready now for supra loopy to work his magic tomorrow

while the cars being prepped and painting it will give me time to start work on the engine, looks like from the compression test cylinder one is down 30psi from the rest, will be doing a few more tests to find out where its losing the compression but looking like ill be stripping the whole engine for definite now