The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine upgrade

Guest Stiener27

Depends what sort of a gain you're after. You could do an auto v8 (1UZ) swap cheaply, and that would net you around 30hp more plus more torque. If you're wanting to take things further, you have various options, the cheapest of which is to sell your car and buy a turbo one.

You have the wrong gearbox for any serious upgrades.

If you want pain, keep the car. Otherwise sell it.

400bhp NA-t is proven a better choice. Though you won't see as good return on your payout. This forum will argue otherwise (being run by TT owners you would expect that though). Though there was even a mag feature recently all about it, power vs cost.

450+ Sell the car and go TT. It's all about the transmission and not the engine. The only benefit on the engine is it's lower compression, any other design benefit (oil squirters / ignition setup; coils) are challenged with the engine replacement cost.

Also, I have a statistic for you.

98% of NA-t owners will want more than 400hp. ;) The 2% is the people that weren't asked.

Probably won't find an NA-t owner that wish he had a 6 speed and wish they had started that way in the first place.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

You have the wrong gearbox for any serious upgrades.

If you want pain, keep the car. Otherwise sell it.

400bhp NA-t is proven a better choice. Though you won't see as good return on your payout. This forum will argue otherwise (being run by TT owners you would expect that though). Though there was even a mag feature recently all about it, power vs cost.

450+ Sell the car and go TT. It's all about the transmission and not the engine. The only benefit on the engine is it's lower compression, any other design benefit (oil squirters / ignition setup; coils) are challenged with the engine replacement cost.

Also, I have a statistic for you.

98% of NA-t owners will want more than 400hp. ;) The 2% is the people that weren't asked.

Probably won't find an NA-t owner that wish he had a 6 speed and wish they had started that way in the first place.

I don't want a 6 speed :p

I dont want a speed , the david p hybrid auto box is by far the most cost affective way of holding bigger power . using a clutch is too much like hard work

Hopefully your be the man to find it's limits. I'm gonna be gutted if my R154 doesn't hold as much!

I'm going the David P route with mine. TT auto with a shimmed up NA valve body. Simplifies the paddle shift setup no end. The V160, while tough, has a lifeless shift with little feed back. The R154 is a truck box and while it's strong is not without it's issues, like chocolate thrust washers and layshafts. The shift is quite agricultural too and second can be a real arse when the oil is cold. I ran mine on AFT which made it better. I pushed 590 lbs/ft though my R154 and it lived, that might have been the 6 paddle clutch slipping that saved it though.

My previous champion of strength the TKO600 was poo pooed by Craig at Dyno Torque, he said the new gen t56 and t66 six speed boxes are stronger and nice to drive, T66 (i think that is the designation) does 750lbs/ft oem rated so 1000->1200lbs in the real world. Circa £1800 new. How much is a V160 these days 3.5k second hand?

Lyndon.

I am sure Noz will find out eventually!!! you dont want a six speed anyway, they are rubbish ;)

I'd like to be pushing enough to brake one. It mean's I've a whole lot of fun to have before it goes pop!

What's R154 melting territory then lol??

I'd say anything above 500hp would be considered finding it's limit. Others say much higher, but I've read of all sorts of failures. Can't find a common one. Though there seems to be common upgrades for them such as washers etc.

If I go that route, I'll do as much as I can. Gearbox rebuild for a washer seems pointless (seen it done).

They are indeed, as Lyndon says truck boxes. R154 is from the series of toyota AWD/RWD truck boxes. Funny really!

My previous champion of strength the TKO600 was poo pooed by Craig at Dyno Torque, he said the new gen t56 and t66 six speed boxes are stronger and nice to drive, T66 (i think that is the designation) does 750lbs/ft oem rated so 1000->1200lbs in the real world. Circa £1800 new. How much is a V160 these days 3.5k second hand?

Lyndon.

I've a 6 puk clutch also dude. I'm hoping that gives up before the transmission. I'd like to say gone are my days of dragging. But I know they probably aren't.