The mkiv Supra Owners Club

W58 question NA-T - driveability?

SupraP-Z

Afternoon all, quick question - What is it about the W58 that goes bang when under pressure? Like what gives and why? Can it be repaired?

Ive heard hard launches can eat the W58...but what if you don't launch hard but put your foot down and pick up speed to change gear, and drive under boost and a decent amount of acceleration? Can that kill it? Revving to redline and then changing gear? Dumping the clutch/wheelspins....What is it that W58 owners need to be careful of basically....?

Obviously I know it depends on the condition of the gearbox, some go and some don't, but generally whats the driveability like? The only turbo vehicles I have driven are diesel trucks lol.

Forgive the noob question, but ive never tried to understand it all a little more in depth till now.

Edited by SupraP-Z (see edit history)

1200 miles on mine so far including some hard launches, sideways action, lots of sitting in stop start traffic, two runs at Santapod and some general abuse mixed in with a casual commute to work. Also worth noting, I've got a torsen LSD, did have 285mm width R888's and also the worlds worst 4 paddle clutch (Competition Clutch Stage 5) which allows virtually no slip and judders like mad unless you pull off like you've stole it.

Amazingly, the box is still in one piece and no different to when it was NA. Although, I am under no illusion, it's days are numbered (especially as I am soon to be putting more power still through it).

I think Pulley was putting mental power through a W58 for a while IIRC.

I dont think they are as fragile as made out when driven semi sensibly .. I know alof of people dish out alot of punishment to them and they hold up okay..

still.. im under no illusion that they aint the strongest at 4-500BHP so il be careful when mine is NA-T

Don't smash it into gears. Keep it round 400hp. If it's been looked after your be ok.

Don't get slicks either. Or decent tyres. Keep width limited to 275.

If you don't have an LSD diff that's also really good.

Basically anything that makes your car handle better, remove it LOL

Don't smash it into gears. Keep it round 400hp. If it's been looked after your be ok.

Don't get slicks either. Or decent tyres. Keep width limited to 275.

If you don't have an LSD diff that's also really good.

Basically anything that makes your car handle better, remove it LOL

that's a valid point. I has a torsen diff on 285 wide super sticky tyres and the car had exelent exit/mid range traction

Why is this a good thing? Having no traction...

I don't think I even have an LSD diff...that's another question in fact, how well will my stock suspension handle it all? Atm im on yellow bilsteins, which I will be changing to coilovers soon. Anything that needs changing?

its not a good thing, but it will be easyer on your box if your wheels spin instead of the teeth coming off the cogs.