The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent advice/help please

Twisted

Hey guys having a little drama. Doing a timing belt change and I've gotten to the crankshaft bolt removal and it's so f-ing tight. Tried an air gun on it and that's not working.

Biggest problem I have is I can't lock the pully. I've been following the how to cam belt removal guide but it's not clear how the locking tool attaches. I have all the means to be able to make a tool.

Anyone have a picture/specs of a locking tool?

Anyone have any tricks to getting this bolt off?

Thank you in advance

Tristan

Get a breaker bar with a socket on the end.

Put it on the bolt, with the handle touching the floor on the PASSENGER side, use an extension if you have to.

Crank the engine but DO NOT LET IT START!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a last resort though really.

Those "shallow holes" are balancing drill indents ;) The drilled and tapped holes are in the centre section of the damper, just outboard of the bolt washer, on a much smaller PCD. 8mm x 1.25 mm thread. Run a tap down them before attempting to put bolts in. Bolt the tool up with high tensile bolts. Sounds a lot of hassle? Just use the breaker bar on the chassis or floor and crank the engine. Personally I'd let the firing stroke potentially help and leave it able to start. If it does run for a few seconds you just find the breaker, socket and bolt on the floor, no big deal... These DIY jobs show you lot why garages charge a lot :)

Cheers for the info Chris. Sorted it now anyway. Held the flywheel in place and it cracked off no problem. Trying to hold it at the front just didn't work. Wasn't too confident with turning it over with all the stuff un-attached.

Just use the breaker bar on the chassis or floor and crank the engine. Personally I'd let the firing stroke potentially help and leave it able to start. If it does run for a few seconds you just find the breaker, socket and bolt on the floor, no big deal... These DIY jobs show you lot why garages charge a lot :)

This is exactly how I've done it (twice now). Works a charm and only takes a minute :)